Sebastian Giovinco (107 Viewers)

Would you bring Giovinco back next season?

• Yeah, we could use him

• Nope, get rid of him

Results are only viewable after voting.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Conte isn't the most affable person on the planet. I suppose Giovinco's history of being a bit of a whiner was also part of the decision, he needs people who will work hard, shut up and possibly get ready to make a difference if needed. I'm not sure Giovinco falls into that category.

But yeah, what he said about the MLS was unnecessary, even if he felt that way (I agree, having watched some games recently) he has a duty to be more professional.
Everyone would agree. MLS would be lower league level in Belgium, perhaps 2nd division, but more likely 3d. And that's Belgium. So obviously it's not going to compare to Serie A.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
That's being harsh :D The technical quality of the average player is pretty poor but they make up for some with physicality and tempo. The foreign veterans bring the level up to something more like the Championship / higher end League 1, which is obviously a higher standard than 2nd/3rd Belgian tier.

I've watched one guy playing for my local team who has 100+ MLS games and he's struggling to get into a League 1 side here, more of a rotational player. But he's an athlete and trier and useful as a team player, which is what I see a lot of when I was MLS games. The triers, the veteran stars and then a smattering of latinos who have skill but wouldn't cut it in a stronger league. Giovinco is a bit of an oddity.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That's being harsh :D The technical quality of the average player is pretty poor but they make up for some with physicality and tempo. The foreign veterans bring the level up to something more like the Championship / higher end League 1, which is obviously a higher standard than 2nd/3rd Belgian tier.

I've watched one guy playing for my local team who has 200+ MLS games and he's struggling to get into a League 1 side here, more of a rotational player. But he's an athlete and trier and useful as a team player, which is what I see a lot of when I was MLS games. The triers, the veteran stars and then a smattering of latinos who have skill but wouldn't cut it in a stronger league. Giovinco is a bit of an oddity.
They don't imo. They offer individual moments of brilliance. And obviously you won't see Pirlo playing in 2nd division here. But the vast majority of the players out there would not start for a Belgian first division side imo.

Mar 3, 2014
I'd compare it generally speaking more to a Championship, or Serie B quality league, but at the higher end.

The bad players are very bad because the salary cap, but the good players are often international caliber.

Look @ Toronto FC
Top 4, 1st Division Caliber: Giovinco, Bradley
Top 4, Fringe 1st Division Caliber: Altidore, Perquis
Top 4, second 2nd Division Caliber: Johnson, Irwin, Beitashour, Moor, Morrow
Below 2nd Division: Endoh, Osorio, Delgado, Babouli + the rest

You end up getting a team that is probably a top level Championship team.

MLS teams can definitely compete with the likes of QPR. I could even see them beating a team like Carpi if the top end players have a good day.

It's important to remember the US league isn't like the Chinese League, Indian League or Aussie League. The U.S. MNT is decent, and reflect an above average pool of talent. Some of the players who come off as no names are not that bad. But yes, there are at the bottom end some pretty awful players, and it shows when you watch a game.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Higher end Championship now is full of Premier League players, very competitive as well.

I'd also argue that the USMNT has always been a better collective than the individuals.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'd compare it generally speaking more to a Championship, or Serie B quality league, but at the higher end.

The bad players are very bad because the salary cap, but the good players are often international caliber.

Look @ Toronto FC

MLS teams can definitely compete with the likes of QPR. I could even see them beating a team like Carpi if the top end players have a good day.

It's important to remember the US league isn't like the Chinese League, Indian League or Aussie League. The U.S. MNT is decent, and reflect an above average pool of talent. Some of the players who come off as no names are not that bad. But yes, there are at the bottom end some pretty awful players, and it shows when you watch a game.

You overrate the MLS incredibly. The biggest fault of the league is how it is set up anyway.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Look @ Toronto FC

You're massively overrating MLS. At best it is equivalent to lower end Serie B/Championship. The best MLS teams wouldn't be anywhere near the promotion spots. MLS teams are far too unbalanced for that.

Just the fact a guy like Gio can go there and smash all these records, and yet Toronto FC still basically sucks, well that proves this entirely.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
We could lose to a team of amputees at the start of pre-season. I just looked and we played that game at the end of May, and had trialists and all sorts of rubbish playing for us.
I know, just kiddin'.

I was referring to a game in August, iirc vs LA Galaxy.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
We went an entire US tour where we didn't win a single game, it matters fuck all, even if that was extra poor. Only thing really questionable about it was Conte managed to piss off our American fans at the time with ignoring some PR related events /cutting stuff short /canceling.

Mar 3, 2014
You're massively overrating MLS. At best it is equivalent to lower end Serie B/Championship. The best MLS teams wouldn't be anywhere near the promotion spots. MLS teams are far too unbalanced for that.

Just the fact a guy like Gio can go there and smash all these records, and yet Toronto FC still basically sucks, well that proves this entirely.
I have season tickets to TFC. The biggest weakness in the league are the marginal players who aren't 3rd division caliber, but you still have to remember that 3/4-7/8 of the team is 2nd and 1st division caliber in top 4 leagues. Teams that are constructed well can easily be competitive with a good Championship team. Look at the LA Galaxy, there is no way you can put that roster as a low level Championship team - there is A LOT of talent there.

Gerrard - Last year, top 10 EPL team
G. De Santos - Top 10 La Liga Team
Robbie Keane - He is old, but definitely still Championship Caliber
Zardes - Men's National Team
De Jong - Still top 10 Serie A team caliber
Ashley Cole - played on Roma, wasn't great, but still could play on a bottom of the table EPL team.
Jelle Van Damme - 4th ranked team in Belgium

The rest of the 11 lacks depth, but the team is a whole still has talent. I make fun of the MLS all the time, but to call it a 2nd division Belgian equivalent is just not true.

Also, Giovinco is treated very unfairly. This guy put together some pretty good seasons with Parma and then had to play under Conte, a man with a very rigid system. This is the same guy who is questioning whether to bring Insigne (have you seen Italy's other talent). Giovinco is easily the primary attacker on a team like Lazio or Milan. Giovinco is tearing up the league because unlike Serie A which is very tactically rigid, the MLS is a bit more open. If Giovinco went and played for Southampton or a team like Real Betis, he would have been more effective.

I understand that Giovinco is a bit of a contentious topic here, but I'm totally on the side that he didn't fit with Conte and that he is very underrated.

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
Even though it's not an ambitious move at all, Giovinco's move to Toronto was definitely not a bad one. He is the undisputed GOAT of the whole league, and dominates absolutely every defense that's put in front of him. He is the poster boy of the MLS, a developing league that has the potential to grow massive. If he would play for a Fiorentina/Lazio here he would be a 12-15 goals a season decent striker but would never be at this level of status and fame as he is in North America. No one would really give a shet about him here; he'd be just another Pavoletti, Eder etc. Now hundreds of thousands of people know who he is and are excited as balls to see him wreck defenses like Messi. I know people who consider him world class because of his performances in MLS lol.

Only thing that sucks about his move is that he has lost his chance to play for the Azurri. Could have a decent shot at it right now if he played in a better league.

Also former Juve players doing well in developing markets is always good PR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 103)