Sebastian Giovinco (10 Viewers)

Would you bring Giovinco back next season?

• Yeah, we could use him

• Nope, get rid of him

Results are only viewable after voting.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Ljajič isn't more important than Jovetič and didn't have a better season (pretty similar if you ask me). I agree though that Stevan isn't their most important player or leader, was obvious when Montella took him off in their season deciding game against Roma.

If Gio stays, I hope Conte uses his strengths better next season, Gio - Vucinič pair with Seba as the striker was painful to watch most of the time.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Be a big adjustment for them without Pizarro.

That said, I don't think having a little less control over games and a bit more defensive solidity would do them too much harm.

Might even allow some of their talented counter-attacking players play on the counter-attack occasionally instead of constantly being faced with deep, packed defences.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
At the end of the day, the difference between Giovinco and Jovetic was 3 goals. One gets constant shit and should be thrown away(even though he's only considered a reserve for next season) while the other one is our top player and should be bought for 25-30m according to exactly the same people.
:howler: The difference is much more than that. You are blinded by stats and your bias for Giovinco, it is unbelievable. JoJo is the superior player in every aspect. He has better ball control, ability to find team mates, vision, physical presence, and a more powerful shot.

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
one carries his team, the other carries his lunch box.

one is a leader of his team, the other leader of his playgroup.

one scores important goals against big teams, the other scores in Pac-Man.
Expect better from you @Ahmed . Jovetic was far from a catalyst this season for Fiorentina. I could name 5 players who played bigger roles this season. Not taking anything from him though.

:howler: The difference is much more than that. You are blinded by stats and your bias for Giovinco, it is unbelievable. JoJo is the superior player in every aspect. He has better ball control, ability to find team mates, vision, physical presence, and a more powerful shot.
So stats don't matter but Jovetic has better vision? Gio had more assist, next!

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Stats only show so much. You guys are so fucking biased, it's unfuckingbelievable.

JoJo is clearly the superior player; if you fail to grasp that simple notion, or see reality for what it really, I can't have this discussion with you. Next!

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
Stats only show so much. You guys are so fucking biased, it's unfuckingbelievable.

JoJo is clearly the superior player; if you fail to grasp that simple notion, or see reality for what it really, I can't have this discussion with you. Next!
When you rate Cavani, RvP, or Lewa on what basis do you do it? Goals

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Simplistic. I also rate them on their work-rate, ability to involve others in the attacking play, create opportunities for their team mates, their work rate, in addition to goals.

Giovinco falls over, loses the ball too often, has zero physical presence, a weak shot, and his finishing leaves a lot to be desired. I don't give two shits if he scored 11 goals and had 6 assists, because using your simplistic approach that could translate into 5 braces, and 1 solitary goal in a meaningless game, which would imply that he was only "useful" in a few outings last season.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Allright, we are talking about supporting offensive players here. Lets leave it at that wide category.

There are many roles a player in such category can fullfill.
Players who carry the team, or improve the creation of chances by a significant amount are there, but also the shadowstrikers who are carried by others, and in return score alot of goals.

Both types exist, both types leave a big impression on the team. But the issue is, you cannot use stats that good in this category.

If your carry type player (creative, targetman, flick on player, ...) is scoring 12 goals,, you might say, mwah, thats not alot, while he significantly helped the team even getting in the final third, creating space, pass distribution, pressing, ...
If your carried player that does none of the above scores 12 goals then you might say, oh, thats just as much as the other, so they are just as good.

See, this is the problem, obviously its not. The first player has a huge impact on the team, the second is actually a penalty for the team cause he doesnt score enough goals to justify beeing carried.

Currently it is clear, when we compare vucinic,giovinco, quag, jovetic, llorente, who are significant, and who are not.

Giovinco. Player that contributes very little to buildup. He doesnt possess the ability to keep a ball, he only holds it when he has space, and cannot turn away from players like Pirlo or Del Piero magnificiently can/could. He isnt a great passer, but has a decent long ball.
Giovinco is a carry player. He doesnt add, he takes. Yes, giovinco can be taxed on goals+assists, just like a prime striker.
But this is where the problem lies. He scores mostly in the smaller games with few exception, and was proven to weak at the highest level. He remains an interesting counterattacking player, but he doesnt fit our team. He's much better at a pure counterattacking team. Like parma.

Quag. Quag is very good at creating chances and space for himself, but adds nothing to the team. He doesnt link up or anything, and is not assisting alot eighter. He is a carried player, that is primaly scoring goals. Thing is, he doesnt score enough. He has more use then giovinco when starting the game, but his quality isnt enough compared to the other lines at juve. But quag has been very good for us, we shouldnt be dicks to him.

Vucinic. supporting player with very high team value. he's a technical targetman, thats pretty allround and has brilliance in his mind. An in form vucinic, is very high quality.
sadly, he is inconsistent. When he's bad, he'll still contrinute, but when he is really bad, he's just a waste. sadly a consequence of this is that even for a supportstriker he doesnt score alot. If he was consistent but not scoring i'd would be fine. He carry's the team on his good days, and is carried/wasting on his bad.

Jovetic. creative allrounded player. Doesnt have that brilliance of vucinic, but when back in form he is has quite the potential. He is a supportive player that helps alot with the team, and despite injuries and playing for the viola rats he has a decent scoring record. But no fcking way he's currently worth 30mil. He was before his injury. but thats a while ago.

llorente. Technical targetstriker, that has a massive impact on the team. carries the frontline on his back, connects attack to midfield, is good in closing down defenders, and on top of that, has good goalscoring ability and an allrounded finishing. Yes, this player is SO far ahead of our players AND jovetic(he's older offc). Think of a vucinic with a eye for goals that doesnt suck half the games.

So thats why you cannot compare stats on players, why giovinco is cac, why jovetic is FAR to expensive at 30mil and Llorente is fantastic for us

- - - Updated - - -

Those are strikers, their prime goal is not to contribute for the team, but to score tons.

Cavani has the added value, that he scores AND contributes alot for the team.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I dont tghink Llorente has the slick touches and magic of "good day" vucinic... but he is very skilled with the ball at his feet for his stature...and that coupled with his ability to one on one, to hustle with defenders because of his physique, and is acceptable goalscoring prowess..will make him definitely aninteresting asset to us.

Apr 15, 2006
One other aspect of our game that Gio helps us in is that he draws a lot of fouls. I think he drew the most fouls in our team in the league. And those fouls are usually close to the goal area, which gives Pirlo a chance to cook up free kick magic; or at least draws a booking. This isn't always possible from someone like Vucinic who gets dispossessed far too easily. Just thought I'd point this out.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Go back to your thread Boy :p

- - - Updated - - -

One other aspect of our game that Gio helps us in is that he draws a lot of fouls. I think he drew the most fouls in our team in the league. And those fouls are usually close to the goal area, which gives Pirlo a chance to cook up free kick magic; or at least draws a booking. This isn't always possible from someone like Vucinic who gets dispossessed far too easily. Just thought I'd point this out.
:howler: Who cares about those fouls, when nothing usually materializes most of the time! This isn't the NBA; the midget drawing fouls doesn't send us to the free throw line :lol:

Apr 15, 2006
If nothing materializes from them, then it's Pirlo's fault, not Gio's. Anything that gives us a better chance to score a goal is a good thing, so his ability to draw fouls is helpful. Your dismissal of this only shows your bias against him. Hypocrite!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)