Season of Transition...Exciting Times. (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
lol, he has been a great player and is true legend for us and i've said it many times, but right now he isn't a leader of the team anymore (even if the stats of this season says so), he is just a solid team player and he doesn't deserve the praise he is having, you are overrating him here, he is not the greatest striker in Europe nor Italy and isn't among the best anymore unlike Eto'O, and i fear that he will never regain his true form. and i'll say it once more - i appreciate all the goals Trez has scored, but on the pitch it doesn't matter if he scores his second or 168th goal for us.
How do you interpret being a "leader"?

Trezeguet may not be a leader in scoring goals anymore, but he is still one of the leaders of the team, both on the pitch and in the dressing room. You don't just lose something like that over night.

Buy on AliExpress.com

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008

Trezeguet may not be a leader in scoring goals anymore, but he is still one of the leaders of the team, both on the pitch and in the dressing room. You don't just lose something like that over night.
About being a leader. I doubt Trez has capability as a team leader that unite the team. He is a legend for our club for sure. And still very useful player with his goal scoring capability.

But his attitude sometimes annoying. He is too self centered lately. In start of the season when he is get benched most time, he threat the club to leave. And now when the favor is going for him, he play and he score goals, he easily said that he want to stay with us for next season.. Trez should have thought the club over him and put club priorities than his will

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007

leader may not be the right word. i meant difference maker, like Camoranesi in some of the last games, like Diego in the start of the season, like Buffon in many games this season. someone who brings the average performance of the team up with his quality and work rate.

and no, Trezeguet hasn't been a leader on the pitch for like two years now. i don't now about locker room, and neither do you. Buffon has had his locker room quotes, Nedved has been mentioned in interviews, DP of course is the captain, but at least i haven't heard of any locker room heroics made by Trez, i may have missed something though.

OP
Lo-Pan

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
  • Thread Starter #124
    The lack of a Leader is one of the most common complaints thrown at the current squad and selection policy of the downtrodden Ciro. Its something which matters, immensely. not just performance wise, but steel wise.

Players like to know that there is a Man to look up to, ON THE FIELD. a MAN who NEVER SAYS DIE...a man whose spirit for victory makes him a true fanatic.

Since Nedved's departure, we lack that Man. DP is of course a decent captain, but he isn't capable of inspiring grit and determination. he leads more by class and gentlemanly conduct. That isn't what the team lacks and needs presently.

With our most obvious problems currently polarized around the midfield and attack, this is where a Leader must emerge from. Buffon can't do it from the back to the front.

So who does that leave??? Camo definitely can't be that player. His temperament is more often wretched than professional, and he leads by talent, not heart and steel...Momo is too sweet, like a big baby...Marchisio, I am unsure about, when it comes to potential leadership qualities. With a decent run in the team perhaps he could take on the role...Then there is Diego, who is clearly outspoken enough, but like Melo, is far too fresh to be bossing the outfield units...or is he??? I am not talking about Captain here. I am talking of leaders...like Chelsea has all over the pitch. Terry...Essien...lampard...even the newly rejuvenated Drogba...When these guys get the bit between the teeth, the rest of the team follows suit.

Who has the character to step up to this challenge?

Who has the greates Heart and Drive to succeed in our midfield and attack, as well as the talent??????

forget about Ciro, for now...its this leadership problem which is defeating us.

Showdown25

Dag-nabit!
    Apr 17, 2009
    Diego could but he strikes me as the type of player who leads by performance. As in his good performances would inspire the team. He needs to find his footing in the team unit first though. The only other player in midfield who I think could be a leader for us is Marchisio. He has that grit and determination. He's a bit young still but like Pavel this guy won't stop running or trying until his legs give out. He's been a Juventino his whole life after all. He's one of the few players who bleed black and white and play for the shirt when they step on the pitch.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    I can't imagine John Elkann standing for such a loss in revenue, I really can't surely he realise that the more he lets things slip the less profitable the club becomes.

OP
    Lo-Pan

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
    Feb 11, 2009
  • Thread Starter #136
    I was in far better spirits when I started this thread...ALL of my enthusiasm and patience has been drained, vampire like, by Ciro and his charges. I understand that periods of transition mean that we are NOT going to be KINGS...but we have gone from KINGS to jesters. And that isn't good enough. If we are in a period of transition, we are heading towards becoming a mid table Serie A team, a laughing stock in europe, who could maybe, if we get a lucky draw, challenge for the coppa italia...

OP
    Lo-Pan

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
    Feb 11, 2009
  • Thread Starter #138
    With the team now out of contention for the champions league and Serie A, a manager who has had 6 months to show a hint of usefulness, who has shown nothing but incompetence and inexperience, no natural talent, and a squad of players who look as hungry for battle and glory as a koala just finishing off his eucalyptus dinner...its time to plan for next season and beyond.

I keep going back to these same players, as the foundation:
    Buffon, chiellini, Marchisio, Giovinco, Melo, Diego, Momo...

I would like to add in Ariuado and Ekdal, as possibilities, with the swede much closer to been given a pop in the first team squad than the italian who was recently shipped out to cagliari. where I hope he gets games.

Fullbacks, central defenders and strikers MUST be our key aims. and before spunking another 20 million or so on purchases, we must surely look within our own ranks for potential candidates for the New Juve.

I do not trust Ferrara, for anything other than playing as a defender. As a coach, as a man manager, as a keen assessor of talent, as a tactician...NO, not at all. he has done NOTHING to warrant praise or respect in any of those areas. he remains as he did before becoming manager. one of my favourite defenders of any era, or any team...

By saying I don't trust him, I am also directly asserting that if he doesn't value a player, then his judgement is not one i automatically share. If we had...a decent manager, who had PROVEN experience at identifying and utilizing talent, it would be different. But we don't. Yet...

So Giovinco, for example, who Ciro doesn't seem to trust, even as much as Brazzo, is a player i feel should be playing AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Same goes for Marchisio. I would have also said the same for Ariuado...but obviously Ciro is happy with our current centrebacks...which is very telling. Either I believe that Ariuado is so poor, so lacking readiness for the big stage, that Legro, a man who cant pass, cant run, cant see, cant smell, cant hear, is ahead of him in the pecking order. That is ridiculous. If we had 3 centrebacks ALL performing well, i could understand loaning out a youngster...I was for his Loan, ONLY because i want him to play, and play fucking brilliantly, so our management will be forced to bring him home and give him a chance. The inclusion of a CO OWNERSHIP possibility is scandalous...but as i say, Ciro has NO IDEA about talent, even for defenders.

Lets look at the ideal situation...
    genoa aren't having as happy a season as 08/09. Criscitio could come home. In fact, if Ciro stays until the summer, then i would be happy to see Gasperini become our manager along with Crisicto as our new left back.
    Ariuado excels at Cagliari, our new coach in the summer calls him home...
    Ekdal returns, after a commendable season with Siena. VERY VALUABLE experience under his belt.
    Iago returns and is given chances pre season to show what he can do...
    Immobile, after scoring another 500 goals for the youth team, is also given a chance to stake a claim for the striking role.

Now that looks much better
    Buffon
    X Ariuado Chiellini Criscito
    Melo, Momo, Marchisio
    Diego Giovinco
    Immobile

Ekdal challenging for the Melo, Momo, Marchisio positions.
    Iago challenging for the diego gio positions.

With that team, we could get away with spending BIG on a right back, one more centreback, and a striker.

Are there any other players in the youth team, or out on loan, who a proper manager would turn to, if faced with such a crisis as we are now?

I remember last season, Ferguson giving Marcheda a game...as he often gives the youngsters a game if needs be, or if they are looking decent in reserve or youth games. That is the kind of manager and mindset we need. Promote from within if possible...not buy 'big players' with no definite idea of how to incorporate them into the team.

The only player I have not mentioned above is Caceres, who could turn out to be a decent centreback, but needs to be given the chances there...

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
    coaches with no experience do naturally rely on older players only, because they do not have the gutts do field youngsters (which does bear a higher risk)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)