[SCO] Scottish Premier league 2008/2009 (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Any real point to this?...wouldn't a day later than the others would be better or would that be against a uefa rule?

Scotland extends transfer window

The Scottish Football Association has extended the summer transfer window by 24 hours to Monday 1 September.

"A significant number of associations have decided to move the closure of their window," read an SFA statement.

"It would seem to make sense to assist our clubs and ensure that they are not disadvantaged in any way when trying to sign players prior to the deadline."

Associations in England, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands have also moved their windows back to 1 September.

Some associations will still be closing their window at midnight on Sunday 31 August and the SFA has moved to ensure this does not cause Scottish clubs any problems.

"The SFA will make arrangements to have registration department cover on 31 August as well as 1 September to deal with all enquiries," added the statement.

After the 1 September deadline has passed, the transfer window will re-open on Thursday 1 January.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
from what you say the old firm derby may be a one sided rout, I wish...
Bougherra dodgy...how. about in the air, feet, positional sense?
If Celtic play anything close to what they are capable of, Rangers won't be able to cope with them.

Bougherra is just a big guy. He is positionally average, he is strong in the air. He can't pass the ball. He is far to inclined to let the ball bounce in dangerous area's when he should be going and attacking and clearing it. Mackie caught him a couple of time, so a player with a brain as well as pace could do well against him.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
...I didn't make any connection between Danny McGrain and not being Catholic, that would be you...the guy who doesn't write about religion. Not difficult to pick former legendary players who aren't Catholic, but the reality is McGrain didn't grow up supporting Celtic, as didn't the likes of Dalgleish, Lambert, McLeod, or that muppet Proven you mentioned, who sold his association with Celtic to the highest bidder for filthy lucre - he's no Celtic man...in fact like most of the Lisbon Lions...but the reality is they only became Celtic men after a long association with the club, not before...so why is Strachan different? Another seven championships in a row and the fans might start taking to him..
i simply pointed out mcgrain as an example,i never made the link of celtic men meaning a catholic. perhaps i am a little naive that the thought did not cross my mind when i wrote that phrase that it may be perceived as a bigoted comment

...it's sadly the perception in the public domain: are you actually prepared to suggest that the majority of people don't make the slightest association of Celtic men being of Irish Catholic decent who support the same club their fathers did, and their fathers...are you telling me the Rangers fans have got it wrong? shocker...and why do Jambo fans call us fenian Bast#rds when we come to Tyncastle, as do many other home fans?..are they getting us mixed up with someone else?.
it is rather unfortunate that the general public immediately make the connection of religious denomination simple with the club you support,however the old firm did trade on religious segregation for many years. it may well take years for both sets to distance themselves from the bigotry that ahs blighted scotland for far too long

as for the minority of hearts fans that do jump on the bandwagon-it is embarrassing personally to hear them sing songs that shame both sets of religions. for me the only thing worse is the "big jock knew" brigade,why anyone would think it is big,clever or funny is beyond me

the truth is a pretty powerful defence my lad...and a personal slight directed towards who...every jambo fan or you?...why would I, to use your phrase, tar you with the same brush...?
it is pretty obvious to anyone reading the last few posts that you thought i meant one thing and directed an "orange joke" in the direction of the club i support as some sort of retort. i was trying to make a valid point and you resorted to name calling in a rather sleekit way. i have a problem trying to get across that there is a vocal minority that shame my club, but they are just that, a minority

tsome good points here...and I would prefer it if the perception of the footballing world in relation to Celtic fans (and Rangers fans) was that clear cut and obvious, but if you honestly believe that Celtic fans are not perceived as generally associated with Catholicism then you must live a very insular life. That's why they bless themselves when the tic score and have the cross tattooed on their willie.

To most people, rightly or wrongly, Celtic men are considered to come from Irish Catholic stock, from cradle to the grave...starting late doesn't cut it...a bit like the mafia having to be Italian...it's wrong to do so, but that's the way the jaffa cake bounces

we can stop now that I've had my say if you wish...
oh don't get me wrong i know that the popular conception of all old firm fans is this way but most fans of the old firm i know really could not give two shits about religion, as with hearts and hibs fans. maybe in time that will become the more common conception, but i doubt it will be in our lifetimes

anyway moving on, i think that is strach is trying to get the fans on side the re-signing of shaun maloney may be just the trick, though fan pressure probably would have seen the move go ahead anyway. it really could eb an inspired signing for celts and gives them a lot more flexibility and firepower

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
If Celtic play anything close to what they are capable of, Rangers won't be able to cope with them.
The problem with this Celtic, and almost every Celtic team Strachan puts out, is that they never achieve any king of fine balance...I've watch I don't know how many different formations, but with this set up I have absolutely no idea of what this team is actauly capable of...and the problem with Rangers is similar...I think 1 - 1 ...

Bougherra is just a big guy. He is positionally average, he is strong in the air. He can't pass the ball. He is far to inclined to let the ball bounce in dangerous area's when he should be going and attacking and clearing it. Mackie caught him a couple of time, so a player with a brain as well as pace could do well against him.
I missed the Aberdeen game on Saturday as I was on my way to CP and it was on Rangers TV at the same time as the Celtic game during the week, so thanks for this...however, finding a Celtic player with a brain as well as pace may not be that easy...perhaps VOH and skippy being injured may be a blessing...whose next for Aberdeen this week again?

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
i simply pointed out mcgrain as an example,i never made the link of celtic men meaning a catholic. perhaps i am a little naive that the thought did not cross my mind when i wrote that phrase that it may be perceived as a bigoted comment
OK, no problem...I accept you didn't mean this as it is possible that you didn't realise

it is rather unfortunate that the general public immediately make the connection of religious denomination simple with the club you support,however the old firm did trade on religious segregation for many years. it may well take years for both sets to distance themselves from the bigotry that ahs blighted scotland for far too long
I've heard this argument many times before, mostly from the Press...but I dont think you can actually state that Celtic Football Club itself actually traded or perpetuated religious segregation...the bigoted section of the fans yes, by all means...but club itself, no...if you have something in mind point it out so that I can consider it and respond, but I believe that's it's always been the fans, man...never the club...hence a vast support from non-catholics from the early days who followed Celtic for footballing reasons only without any thought about religious conotations

I think another step in the right direction would be for fans of non-old firms clubs to stop pushing the concept that the religious thingy is only connected to Celtic and Rangers...although indeed a bigger problem in this part of the world, it's not just a west coast problem...just a question of degrees

as for the minority of hearts fans that do jump on the bandwagon-it is embarrassing personally to hear them sing songs that shame both sets of religions. for me the only thing worse is the "big jock knew" brigade,why anyone would think it is big,clever or funny is beyond me
it is pretty obvious to anyone reading the last few posts that you thought i meant one thing and directed an "orange joke" in the direction of the club i support as some sort of retort. i was trying to make a valid point and you resorted to name calling in a rather sleekit way. i have a problem trying to get across that there is a vocal minority that shame my club, but they are just that, a minority
a perfect example of my reply above...a minority, but it still exists...but not readily acknowledged...and as for sleekit, if I think your a d*ck, have insulted me or my club, I'll write it out plain to see, - in capitals - no need for being sleekit - I've been here for eight years, held my own against the high and mighty, the old hands will tell you I try to be fair, but will let you know big time if I'm displeased, not my style.

and are the bigots at the old firm the vocal minority or a majority that shame their clubs? What % is acceptable before Hearts can be considered to have a problem? I'm not comming down hard on you in any way as you acknowledge it exists and what you write is positive about the issue, unlike the blinkered fans who ignore this and pretend it's the old firm that's responsible for all the woes of Scottish Football...I just want to know your opinion

oh don't get me wrong i know that the popular conception of all old firm fans is this way but most fans of the old firm i know really could not give two shits about religion, as with hearts and hibs fans. maybe in time that will become the more common conception, but i doubt it will be in our lifetimes
What you say is correct, so why don't non-bigots of non-old firm clubs readily accept this rather than going on, and on, and on, and o...about this issue instead of looking inwards in an attempt to solve their own clubs problems? I actually respect Rangers fans more that any other club in Scotland on this subject, as they at least don't pretend it doesn't exist within their fans and doesn't need addressing...out of curiosity, what do Hearts actively do to address this minority, lifetime bans, etc?...just want to know..

anyway moving on, i think that is strach is trying to get the fans on side the re-signing of shaun maloney may be just the trick, though fan pressure probably would have seen the move go ahead anyway. it really could eb an inspired signing for celts and gives them a lot more flexibility and firepower
personally I would punt McGeady for as much as possible now...he's sussed

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
OK, no problem...I accept you didn't mean this as it is possible that you didn't realise
then we can put this to bed,you do seem to have awell balanced view on the issues and amybe we can get to the real issue-football

I've heard this argument many times before, mostly from the Press...but I dont think you can actually state that Celtic Football Club itself actually traded or perpetuated religious segregation...the bigoted section of the fans yes, by all means...but club itself, no...if you have something in mind point it out so that I can consider it and respond, but I believe that's it's always been the fans, man...never the club...hence a vast support from non-catholics from the early days who followed Celtic for footballing reasons only without any thought about religious conotations
that is the way it should be and i do think that institutional bigotry was far more prevalent at rangers than it ever was at celtic. i do applaud the measures taken to put an end to the problem and think that celtic and rangers have done a lot in recent years to distance themselves form any affiliation with the hardcore elements in their fan-base

I think another step in the right direction would be for fans of non-old firms clubs to stop pushing the concept that the religious thingy is only connected to Celtic and Rangers...although indeed a bigger problem in this part of the world, it's not just a west coast problem...just a question of degrees
oh the problem is not just with the old firm, it is scotlands shame and the sooner the SPL address the problem as a whole instead of hiding behind the elements in the old-firm the better

a perfect example of my reply above...a minority, but it still exists...but not readily acknowledged...and as for sleekit, if I think your a d*ck, have insulted me or my club, I'll write it out plain to see, - in capitals - no need for being sleekit - I've been here for eight years, held my own against the high and mighty, the old hands will tell you I try to be fair, but will let you know big time if I'm displeased, not my style.
as i said above,lets put it to bed and get on with talking about football. i have very rarely had personal issues with anyone on this forum and i see no need to start here. we both perceived things wrong and basically made a big deal of nothing lets have a:malt: and put this behind us

and are the bigots at the old firm the vocal minority or a majority that shame their clubs? What % is acceptable before Hearts can be considered to have a problem? I'm not comming down hard on you in any way as you acknowledge it exists and what you write is positive about the issue, unlike the blinkered fans who ignore this and pretend it's the old firm that's responsible for all the woes of Scottish Football...I just want to know your opinion
t

What you say is correct, so why don't non-bigots of non-old firm clubs readily accept this rather than going on, and on, and on, and o...about this issue instead of looking inwards in an attempt to solve their own clubs problems? I actually respect Rangers fans more that any other club in Scotland on this subject, as they at least don't pretend it doesn't exist within their fans and doesn't need addressing...out of curiosity, what do Hearts actively do to address this minority, lifetime bans, etc?...just want to know..
o me 1% is unacceptable and hearts have taken positive steps to eradicate this but the real problem, as it is everywhere,is getting the non-bigots to speak up! as far as i know life-time bans have been threatened but as i said, the problem is getting the non-bigots to stand up and say "this is not acceptable and i will not listen to it" until people everywhere stop ignoring the issue the bigots will continue to have a voice

personally I would punt McGeady for as much as possible now...he's sussed
i personally think mcgeady is a wonderful talent but he needs to work on his fitness a bit more,maloney may well vie for thet left sided place with him and could well dislodge him from the team and i think celtic could end up a much better team for it

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
some things never change, the sky being blue,death, taxes and airdrie beating us in the cup despite showing no intention of attacking. still better to lose in the cup and spot our lack of cutting edge than doing it this weekend against hamilton

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
I personally think mcgeady is a wonderful talent but he needs to work on his fitness a bit more,maloney may well vie for thet left sided place with him and could well dislodge him from the team and i think celtic could end up a much better team for it

He is good, but is a wee bit predictable...I think this season the SPL will figure him out and his effectiveness will deminish...if I could get the 5-7 mill that has been suggested in the press then I say go for it...Maloney is and always will be the better, more productive player, as he's more efficient with the ball, more direct, and can actually get the ball on target more than 1 in 10 attempts...IMHO McGeady won his award last season based on 6-7 good games, then he faded until he became almost invisible in games...still wish he'd chosen Scotland though, although I do understand his reasons...perhaps, as you write, with Maloney in the team, he'll up his game again

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
quite possibly mcgeady will rise to the challenge,but as you say maybe now is the time to cash in on him. maloney for player of the year IMO!
as for mcgeady,he decided to choose ireland froma young age, they actively pursued him and made him feel wanted. scotland,as always were a bit arrogant in believing he would play for teh country of his birth and by the time they realised he was a great talent it was too late.

though it swings both ways i suppose, after all shaun maloney was born in malaysia! maybe he could qualify for asian player of the year?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Away to Kilmarnock in the League Cup. :wallbang:

Another nice handy away trip for a midweek game. Two trips to Ayrshire in the first two rounds.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Bozi, any word on the situation regarding Hearts players getting paid?

I'm assuming that Hearts' claim that it was a 'technical issue' was BS.

It has certainly prompted wild speculation up here as to how hard the credit crunch has hit Mad Vlad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)