Say no for Totti! (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Francesco Totti..yes..no doubt about it,the man is a world class player,but what went wrong at this world cup? According to Trapattoni,Totti was the man that was to lead Italy to success,Totti was the man to cary the Azzurri to the finals,but he failed miserably. He played a good first half against Ecuador,hit the post with a free kick against Croatia,and that was it. Totti did more than disappoint me.

The darling of Roma and current Golden Boy of Italian football played a lack lustre world cup. In my mind Del Piero would have been the better choice. He was in better physical shape than Totti,who had just recovered from a muscle strain. Had I been incharge I would have played Del Piero alongside Vieri from the beginning of the tournament,with Totti slightly behind them. I personally think that Totti didn't have a bad world cup. He played fairly well,but fairly well is not what I expected from Totti. I expected great things from him,that is why he disappointed me.

Del Piero was gifted a goal against Mexico,but I don't think anyone in the whole wide world deserved that goal more than Ale. He fought extremely hard in the final weeks of Serie A,trying to impress Trap and win the Scudetto for his beloved club at the same time. Pinturicchio scored 5 goals in the last 5 matches of the season,which I thought would have given him in spot in "Il Trap's" starting 11. Unfortunately it did not until he proved himself against Mexico.

Totti may be the Golden Boy to Trap,but to me,DP will always be the Golden Boy of Italian football,ALWAY. So I say,Forza Alex Del Piero!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by DP's_Apprentice ] ++Francesco Totti..yes..no doubt about it,the man is a world class player,but what went wrong at this world cup? According to Trapattoni,Totti was the man that was to lead Italy to success,Totti was the man to cary the Azzurri to the finals,but he failed miserably.
When I think back at what was said in that context before the World Cup about Totti leading the way I want to burst into laughter. But since they fell out of the tournament I'm not in a laughing mood.

Stuart... about Del Piero, of course you're right. :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Now get this... I was talking to a person (whose name shall not be mentioned) a few days ago. Anyway, she said she was no big fan of Del Piero because she thought he was a bit too smug and too much of a showboat.

On the other hand she thought Totti was "a great player".

What is with people?

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Now get this... I was talking to a person (whose name shall not be mentioned) a few days ago. Anyway, she said she was no big fan of Del Piero because she thought he was a bit too smug and too much of a showboat.

What is with people?

:eek: :eek:

Jul 12, 2002
Totti is not so bad. He is the best player in the world, or the most tactful, but he is worldclass nonetheless. give him a little respect.

Jul 12, 2002
World class, that is your personal opinion.
Come on. Can you honestly say that he is not one of the elite players in the world? If you can, then you are fooling yourself.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
As denco, I only judge a player based on what I see. And I don't watch every single Roma game, I don't see Totti all the time. On the few occasions I've seen him I wasn't dazzled. Not Euro2k, not KoreaJapan02, not one or two Roma games I saw.

The only time I would say he was inspirational was in the derby last year. Ironically, Montella scored 4 in that one and I don't see anyone screaming his name... :rolleyes:

Jul 12, 2002
As denco, I only judge a player based on what I see. And I don't watch every single Roma game, I don't see Totti all the time. On the few occasions I've seen him I wasn't dazzled. Not Euro2k, not KoreaJapan02, not one or two Roma games I saw.

The only time I would say he was inspirational was in the derby last year. Ironically, Montella scored 4 in that one and I don't see anyone screaming his name... :rolleyes:
Fair enough.

OP
Leila

Leila

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    As long as Trap is NT coach I don't see DP in the first 11. I think he isn't a fan of his natural talent.

Azzurina

Jul 12, 2002

What is with people?
    Well, DP isn`t my cup of tea at all, So, I agree with that girl , I`ve seen an interview with him, & he was asked
    (What was the worst incedent in ur life, Italy losing Euro2000 final OR ur injury?)
    so he said( My injury was worse than Italy losing Euro2000 final)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    I was crying like hell after that match & needed to go into therapy for 10 years to recover , while DP who missed 2 golden chances which could finish the match , saying that his injury`s worse than that crappy final. So tell the girl ,that u were talking to, to add (Selfish) to her list.
    abt Totti, I think he`s brilliant , I don`t know why do u hate him Alex?!!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    What the hell is wrong with saying his injury was worse? His career was threatened and people still claim he's not the same after it, nor ever will be. And it's a crime for him to say that that's a bigger disappointment to him than winning the Euro? Get real!

As for Totti, it's too bad you missed the 700+ post "Totti Non-Fanclub" thread we had before the forum crashed and we lost all the posts. But there were enough good reasons, selfish would come at the top of the list somewhere. And no, I don't hate him, I dislike him. In fact, I don't hate anyone.

modan

Jul 13, 2002
    yea, i agree, i am utterly disappointed with Trap and totti and i dislike totti. who says del piero and totti are alike...they ain't, totti is more of a solo player, always trying impress, but del piero is hardworking and he plays teamwork.

i dont see why del piero should not say that the injury was worse, if you are a footbal player and playing football is all you care, you will understand the pain when you had an injury and it threatened to take football away from you

i am disappointed with totti, he seems ambitious and proud of his achievements and who says he played well? he missed a 80% goal shot that would have seen Italy lead croatia or korea (forgot), and he missed it so WIDE, i was surprised that a player like him could even MISS the net!

Trap, is not my cup of tea, italian football cannot carry on like that, we need to play more attacking styles, we have the flair, the talents, and the skills, but why have we only won the world cup thrice, because of our style, we need to use our flair and skill to elude and break apart defences, and not use it on our defence for other people to break apart!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)