Rugby World Cup 2011 (9 Viewers)

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
Woody could you set up the Australia vs USA match? Some easy money there.:D
I know! i was trying to find it but none of the sites have it,just like the SA game...i guess its just to easy to predict.

Dru should set up the UFC event soon though,and that's the easiest money with awesome odds :D

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
What a game by the boys despite the handling errors & dodgy line outs. It should have been way more than 87-0, the Namibians tried their best but just couldn't string anything worth note together. Francois Hougaard just showing why he's one of my fav players & it was great to see Brian Habana set a new springbok try scoring record.:touched:
SA-Australia :drool:

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Don't underestimate the Italians but it's definitely a match to dream of. Hopefully our key players are rested because we need the likes of Victor Matfield & Brian Habana fit for the wallabies.
Oh I'm not, we fully expect them to win, it's the irish way :depressed

OP
Byrone

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
  • Thread Starter #48
    We gonna get trounced, but at least our captain looks like a pirate.
    Quite the heavy defeat as expected but they certainly did give Australia a run for their money. They lost the ball on a few occasions when they were attacking & the fact that they made over 17 phases to score their only try was impressive.

Oh I'm not, we fully expect them to win, it's the irish way :depressed
    I see there's 10 changes made for the game against Russia. I guess your boys aren't taking chances against the grease boys.:D

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Quite the heavy defeat as expected but they certainly did give Australia a run for their money. They lost the ball on a few occasions when they were attacking & the fact that they made over 17 phases to score their only try was impressive.
    The Aussies ran it up at the end, but I thought we did ok. Maybe we can beat the Italians? I doubt it, but maybe we can keep it close like we did agains the Irish.

OP
    Byrone

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
  • Thread Starter #51
    WΏΏdy;3270129 said:
    France to give up as soon as NZ finish their haka :seven:
    It's what they do best.:D

The Aussies ran it up at the end, but I thought we did ok. Maybe we can beat the Italians? I doubt it, but maybe we can keep it close like we did agains the Irish.
    It's an admirable performance, all things considered. Beating the Italians isn't impossible as they still have many flaws but they just have too much quality to lose. If US Rugby keeps this momentum & regularly plays against the SA sides then it shouldn't be too long before becoming an established rugby nation.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    It's an admirable performance, all things considered. Beating the Italians isn't impossible as they still have many flaws but they just have too much quality to lose. If US Rugby keeps this momentum & regularly plays against the SA sides then it shouldn't be too long before becoming an established rugby nation.
    Rugby is just not that popular in the US at a pro level. There's no leagues, but a lot of people play recreationally now. Especially in the cities and out west. I can definitely see it growing as a sport. It's just a shame this World Cup is on a terrible (for us) time zone.

OP
    Byrone

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
  • Thread Starter #53
    Rugby is just not that popular in the US at a pro level. There's no leagues, but a lot of people play recreationally now. Especially in the cities and out west. I can definitely see it growing as a sport. It's just a shame this World Cup is on a terrible (for us) time zone.
    Yeah i've noticed, i see a lot of the players are still at university. I think if it were hosted there & provided the team got some big scalps, it would definitely grow at a rapid rate.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Yeah i've noticed, i see a lot of the players are still at university. I think if it were hosted there & provided the team got some big scalps, it would definitely grow at a rapid rate.
    I played it when I was out west, it's huge among firefighters.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    I used to play wing for my school with the other pretty boys. We used to usually get smashed by the private schools who had great setups - quite a few from those have gone on to play for England such as Neil Back, Danny Grewcock, Andy Goode, Tom Wood etc. Coventry is actually a real historical rugby hotbed, considering it is the closest city to the town of Rugby, but the city team is mediocre now and Leicester have taken the mantle.

I think it could be quite big in the US one day. Well, if not big in the country, the US team could be quite good. At the moment they are not too great but individual players are moving on to better sides in Europe, they have passport holders from other countries to help just like many others do.

In the scrum and amongst the forwards many teams can be neutralised or at least weakened with physical intensity, but eventually superior fitness and top level quality tells more towards the end of the game.

There was a good quote from Brian O'Driscoll from midweek. He said "when the US hit you, you stay hit". That should be natural coming from the home of American football, it's also something other developing teams do and Italy have been doing it for years, especially since they lost a bit of quality in the new millenium. Now the developing nations need to grow more in terms of the skills base, get players playing at a higher professional level, and get more youth involved with university teams.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    There must be cultural or societal problems with it somewhere, considering it didn't take off like in many other Commonwealth countries. But like in England, the teams that do play often come from upper class schools and institutions.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
    There must be cultural or societal problems with it somewhere, considering it didn't take off like in many other Commonwealth countries. But like in England, the teams that do play often come from upper class schools and institutions.
    Its the same in india actually. All the guys i know who play is belong to families with "legacy"...rich and all..

Haven't seen or heard about it being played in a professional level though.

OP
    Byrone

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
  • Thread Starter #59
    I used to play wing for my school with the other pretty boys. We used to usually get smashed by the private schools who had great setups - quite a few from those have gone on to play for England such as Neil Back, Danny Grewcock, Andy Goode, Tom Wood etc. Coventry is actually a real historical rugby hotbed, considering it is the closest city to the town of Rugby, but the city team is mediocre now and Leicester have taken the mantle.

I think it could be quite big in the US one day. Well, if not big in the country, the US team could be quite good. At the moment they are not too great but individual players are moving on to better sides in Europe, they have passport holders from other countries to help just like many others do.

In the scrum and amongst the forwards many teams can be neutralised or at least weakened with physical intensity, but eventually superior fitness and top level quality tells more towards the end of the game.

There was a good quote from Brian O'Driscoll from midweek. He said "when the US hit you, you stay hit". That should be natural coming from the home of American football, it's also something other developing teams do and Italy have been doing it for years, especially since they lost a bit of quality in the new millenium. Now the developing nations need to grow more in terms of the skills base, get players playing at a higher professional level, and get more youth involved with university teams.
    Forget university teams, it needs to begin at primary school level. The kids start at 5yrs old over here & pretty much the same in Australia/NZ. They need to look at it long term much like US soccer does, only then will it rise in popularity. But the US has everything at it's disposal to become a force to be reckoned with in world rugby.

Depends on the country i suppose. Rugby is played across the board here but the more prestigious & private schools tend to put more emphasis on promoting Rugby. I guess agents & clubs give fat bribes under the table to get first option on up & coming stars.

OP
    Byrone

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
  • Thread Starter #60
    WΏΏdy;3270505 said:
    Its the same in india actually. All the guys i know who play is belong to families with "legacy"...rich and all..

Haven't seen or heard about it being played in a professional level though.
    Here the rich are more into sports like water polo, polo & equestrian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)