Rooney??? (1 Viewer)

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

River, can you tell me why there has only been one English team in the Champion's League Final for the past 17 years? My theory of this is that the quality of the team in Europe stems down from the quality of teams in which they play in their own domestic league. The fact stated above, which of course was Man United in the Final, is something that cannot be overlooked. What that tells me is that the quality play of the EPL is lacking behind other leagues, thus poor performances by English teams in Europe. And I don't wanna hear the same excuses of no winter break, and there are too many matches, as I think professionals can handle that and the other leagues play just as much. The EPL might be very exciting indeed, but when it comes to pure quality, its behind Italy and Spain.
Like i said. Days gone by. Can you tell me why up until 2 seasons ago Italian teams virtually fell off the european stage? And thats not even what i was talking about. But since we're on european here. You dont think ManU, Chelsea and Arsenal can match any three Italian teams right now?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Max

Jul 15, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

River, can you tell me why there has only been one English team in the Champion's League Final for the past 17 years? My theory of this is that the quality of the team in Europe stems down from the quality of teams in which they play in their own domestic league. The fact stated above, which of course was Man United in the Final, is something that cannot be overlooked. What that tells me is that the quality play of the EPL is lacking behind other leagues, thus poor performances by English teams in Europe. And I don't wanna hear the same excuses of no winter break, and there are too many matches, as I think professionals can handle that and the other leagues play just as much. The EPL might be very exciting indeed, but when it comes to pure quality, its behind Italy and Spain.
It is unfair to say that there has only been one English team in the Champions' League Final in the past seventeen years. There was a ban set by UEFA that didn't allow English teams to compete in European competition because of the Heysel Disaster if I'm not mistaken.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

Like i said. Days gone by. Can you tell me why up until 2 seasons ago Italian teams virtually fell off the european stage? And thats not even what i was talking about. But since we're on european here. You dont think ManU, Chelsea and Arsenal can match any three Italian teams right now?
They could match them right now, simply because the Italian season hasn't started yet. Falling off the European stage for 4 years is one thing, falling off for 16 years is another. You seem like you're not catching my point here River. :)

Max, please elaborate on this ban.

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++

Because as much as I hate Juve .. Juve management has limits to what "player" it will buy in terms of style and talent. It will not buy any piece of charcoal that can put the old "onion bag" in the net just for the sake of scoring goals and winning games. Some teams have integrity and want to maintain a certain tradition..especially Italian teams.
Rooney is nothing more than a young Vieri with far less class and even less vision and talent...how about playing in Serie A ROONEY??!!! See how many goals you DON'T SCORE.
This is a player that suits English football..an athelete with a powerful kick and a fast sprint with rugby style running...get through at all costs and score with no class and finesse.
NO THANKS...the Gianni Rivera's, Roberto Baggio's and Paolo Maldini's can stay in Italy and the butchers like Rooney and Gascoigne can stay in England.
pardon? vieri's got class? thats new..

River

Jun 15, 2004
no dummy :D The years gone by i was referring to were the 'Italian teams rule' years. They are gone. Italian teams are not even if not sometimes behind the others. I think this year England perhaps the strongest representation.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
no dummy :D The years gone by i was referring to were the 'Italian teams rule' years. They are gone. Italian teams are not even if not sometimes behind the others. I think this year England perhaps the strongest representation.
They might have the best rep on paper, but football isn't played on paper River. :D

Italian teams can't be counted out though. Its not like they're a bunch of pushovers. Arsenal has shown they can't get the job done in Europe, and I'll think they'll prove myself right again this season. Man U has a good sqaud, but if they face a team like Real Madrid or Milan, kiss their hopes goodbye. And now there's Chelsea. If they can get their act together, they might be one of the top four like last year. But its hard to tell with English teams. If history is nice to me and wins out, the number will be 18, not 17 River. :D

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Andy, the ban that prevented the English from competing in European Club Championships (Champions' League, UEFA Cup, Cup Winners' Cup) lasted for five years (1985-86 season to the 1990-91 season), and a year extra for Liverpool.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
interesting discussion! I don't think that there is any doubt that overall, especially in the US, the EPL is overated, mainly because of it's high exposure and the language. that said, there is a strong tendency in this forum to diss the EPL, and it often taken too far. I mean, how many people here would fancy our chances against Arsenal?? and look at our record against manure!! it's bloody embarassing!! I really don't think that the leagues can be truly compared, and I'll bet that if there was a good way to compare them, you'd find that they are all pretty close. Sure, right now in the EPL it is basically Manu, Arsenal, Chelsea, and then all the rest (hopefully this is changing!) but look at the CL last year-how many Italian teams made the quarterfinals? hell, the final was Porto and Monaco!! that shows how unreliable an indicator the CL is. Afterall, two years ago there where three Italian teams in the semis! so two years ago Series A was the best, and then last year-who in their right mind would would take the CL finals as an indicator of relative league strength! so lets just leave this bloody argument alone-if all you want is to diss the EPL, then bugger off!

BTW, nice to see you again Incubo!

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by HWIENIAWSKI ] ++
sure seems like it...I'll bet he'd much rather go to manu than Newcastle
Why doesn't Liverpool make a bid on him !!!!

I guess he would prefer joining Liverpool than joining the Magpies

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Because as much as I hate Juve .. Juve management has limits to what "player" it will buy in terms of style and talent. It will not buy any piece of charcoal that can put the old "onion bag" in the net just for the sake of scoring goals and winning games. Some teams have integrity and want to maintain a certain tradition..especially Italian teams.
Rooney is nothing more than a young Vieri with far less class and even less vision and talent...how about playing in Serie A ROONEY??!!! See how many goals you DON'T SCORE.
This is a player that suits English football..an athelete with a powerful kick and a fast sprint with rugby style running...get through at all costs and score with no class and finesse.
NO THANKS...the Gianni Rivera's, Roberto Baggio's and Paolo Maldini's can stay in Italy and the butchers like Rooney and Gascoigne can stay in England.
You're right 100%. But then again isn't that a weakness of the Italian sides as well?

River

Jun 15, 2004

Next to Rooney even Montero has class. Alone you can make the arguement that Vieri is NOT class...next to Rooney he looks like IL DIVINO CODINO.
Whats so different about Vieri and Rooney? They are similar players. They are both idiots. Vieri is burnt out, Rooney is on top form.

Thats just a totally typical Italian post you made there. Vieri is always better because hes Italian?:D

What has Rooney done thats so bad (except bang some hookers :D). Vieri refuses to celebrate when it dosent suit him, acts like a total fuckbrains to the media and has had his fair share of foul play. Rooney has what? Pushed Thuram and did a hard challenge of Ronaldo :D

Or wait maybe your judging on looks now or something :rolleyes:

Kevin

Apr 16, 2004
Vieri and Rooney are totally different players (do you see Vieri running at defenders much? do you see Vieri scoring 60% of his goals from outside the penalty area with blazing shots? do you see Vieri drop deep much and take his play from midfield, linking the midfield up with the attack? ridiculous to compare them, totally different type of strikers), Rooney is more of a complete footballer and Henry has stated his admiration for the player: also said that he plays similar to himself. After the French game he was on French tv and aside of the usual comments he also added about Rooney: "Unbelievable, what a player. What a player."

I think some of the ppl here don't have a clue what they're on about, haven't seen him play all that much and are just eager to thrash a young ENGLISH talent. The hype around him makes them angry and from the fact that he's stocky and looks rough they deduct that he's a run of the mill old fashioned english striker who can only jump and head a ball (that's what some of the posts on this topic want you to believe that is!). Wrong.

http://ihabx7.gatts.net/WayneRooney.mpg

http://ihabx7.gatts.net/RooneyCompilation.asf

http://fazkhan.lunarpages.com/clips/Rooney_Tribute.wmv

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Kevin ] ++
Vieri and Rooney are totally different players (do you see Vieri running at defenders much? do you see Vieri scoring 60% of his goals from outside the penalty area with blazing shots? do you see Vieri drop deep much and take his play from midfield, linking the midfield up with the attack? ridiculous to compare them, totally different type of strikers), Rooney is more of a complete footballer and Henry has stated his admiration for the player: also said that he plays similar to himself. After the French game he was on French tv and aside of the usual comments he also added about Rooney: "Unbelievable, what a player. What a player."

I think some of the ppl here don't have a clue what they're on about, haven't seen him play all that much and are just eager to thrash a young ENGLISH talent. The hype around him makes them angry and from the fact that he's stocky and looks rough they deduct that he's a run of the mill old fashioned english striker who can only jump and head a ball (that's what some of the posts on this topic want you to believe that is!). Wrong.

Actually yeah I have seen Vieri of old do those things.

But that wasnt the purpose of the post, i was trying to understand how Incubo decided Vieri has more class.

River

Jun 15, 2004

And yeah totally. It happens all the time here and not just with young players. Ive said it countless times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)