Rooney??? (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++

ok, whatever, my english isnt all that good so i dont see much difference between overrated and overhyped.
Well thats your problem. ;)

who is comparing them? from what i've read, he is tipped to be equal or even better than them. ffs, now you people are saying rooney is nowhere near henry, though you bash henry saying he's crap and couldnt survive a single in serie a. anyway, george best said rooney can be among the best, eriksson said rooney right now is better than baggio at that age. cant argue, he saw them, most of you didnt. cruijff said rooney can overcome henry in the future because his talent is phenomenal for this age. and ehats wrong with that, its not that rooney isnt proving them all wrong.
Again your making such a fuss over an opinion. Can't you just accept that I think its too early to compare him to Henry? Just watch the two, you'd understand about the difference in class. In reality you can't make early assumptions on how a good a player is gonna be, its as simple as that. Now you are making me want to see Rooney fail.

if it wasnt for this hate, you might've acceptad rooney's talent already.
You idiot, how many times do I have to go over this? Can't even read now Fli? I've said this several times already:

*Rooney is no doubt a talented player, but it is too early to say he's gonna be better than former greats.*

FFS, just accept other opinions Fli. I have to deal with this same crap everyday in my country, where 99% of football fans say everything out of England is the best.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++

Have said it over and over. Rooney may actually be good, but there is no doubt that hes hyped out of proportion as well. He has a long way to go. Look at Ronaldinho. He'll take Rooney to school everyday of the week and twice on sunday, but i dont see him making the headlines of papers all over the world or being touted as the best thing in football by people like Eriksson. Why? Because hes not a freckled young englishman. Ronnie makes it to the list of the FIFA player of the year, gets his little coverage and thats that. As for Rooney - its one thing to be acknowledged as a rising young talent (absolutely fair to say that), but its completely another to be mentioned in the same breath as the world's greatest players like pele, baggio and even henry. Someone here mentioned it was only said in context to age, but the implications still carry a more generic meaning in the broader sense. So to me,its simply a ridiculous thing to say, whether your Erikkson, Cryuff or an amateur soccernet journalist.

As for what ive done to criticise Cryuff's opinion? Ive watched rooney, ronaldo and henry play. ;)
Exactly Baggio. You should hear what football fans in the US say about Rooney. :rolleyes:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Enough Already.

This kid doesn't turn 19 until next week, had a sparkling Euro 2004, and brushed off his CL debut for Man U. as if it was an intra-squad training session, nevermind the fact that he is now being featured regularly for Manchester, quite possibly one of the biggest football stages in the world, if not the biggest.

And unless I am totally mis-reading what Eriksson said, all he said was that Rooney is better at the age of 18 than Baggio at 18, and he might be right.

Baggio had just debuted for Fiorentina when he was 18 back in 1986, not exactly Manchester United, and wasn't called onto the National side until he was 21, 4 years older than Rooney was.

What more do you want from this kid? Is he overhyped? Well, what has he done, or not done, to make you think that this hype isn't justified?

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Well to me, i just feel he wouldnt be spoken about so much if he wasnt English.

C. Ronaldo (Portugal)
Zlatan Ibra (Sweden)
Ronaldinho (Brazil)

Just some of Rooney's contemporaries, who are as good as him if not better, but arent half as celebrated as him, for no apparent reason.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Well to me, i just feel he wouldnt be spoken about so much if he wasnt English.

C. Ronaldo (Portugal)
Zlatan Ibra (Sweden)
Ronaldinho (Brazil)

Just some of Rooney's contemporaries, who are as good as him if not better, but arent half as celebrated as him, for no apparent reason.
Ronaldinho is 24 FFS, Zlatan is 23. Rooney is 18. Do you not see the difference? Those players are in their primes, while Rooney is at an age where most of the future superstars are playing for their clubs' U21s.

Christiano Ronaldo is another exceptional talent, and he does get a lot of coverage too, though I would agree, he isn't far off Rooney in terms of return at a young age.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Well the fact that Zlatan and Ronnie are 23 and 24 respectively, does not take away from the fact that they're still Rooney's contemporaries. And their age is only another reason why they should be drawing comparisons to great players, if not past then present. Since like you say, theyre in their prime.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Ronaldinho is 24 FFS, Zlatan is 23. Rooney is 18. Do you not see the difference? Those players are in their primes, while Rooney is at an age where most of the future superstars are playing for their clubs' U21s.

Christiano Ronaldo is another exceptional talent, and he does get a lot of coverage too, though I would agree, he isn't far off Rooney in terms of return at a young age.
How can you consider those two respective players to be in their prime yet? You don't know if they are or not, but I would suspect they have not reached their prime yet.

At least from what I've seen lately, Ronaldo doesn't get half the coverage Rooney does.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++
Enough Already.

This kid doesn't turn 19 until next week, had a sparkling Euro 2004, and brushed off his CL debut for Man U. as if it was an intra-squad training session, nevermind the fact that he is now being featured regularly for Manchester, quite possibly one of the biggest football stages in the world, if not the biggest.

And unless I am totally mis-reading what Eriksson said, all he said was that Rooney is better at the age of 18 than Baggio at 18, and he might be right.

Baggio had just debuted for Fiorentina when he was 18 back in 1986, not exactly Manchester United, and wasn't called onto the National side until he was 21, 4 years older than Rooney was.

What more do you want from this kid? Is he overhyped? Well, what has he done, or not done, to make you think that this hype isn't justified?

problem is that a lot of these kids never live up to their potential, and comparing them to big stars only sets them for failure (most of the time)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

problem is that a lot of these kids never live up to their potential, and comparing them to big stars only sets them for failure (most of the time)
Well then, keep the hype going. ;)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
i daresay i must agree,comparing him to big players at this age most of the times destroys the player,which would be a shame.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Well then, keep the hype going. ;)
Your disdain for anything EPL related is a little disturbing. Of course, if he along with Cristiano Ronaldo were on Juve, you wouldn't be saying half of the stuff that you're saying now.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Well the fact that Zlatan and Ronnie are 23 and 24 respectively, does not take away from the fact that they're still Rooney's contemporaries. And their age is only another reason why they should be drawing comparisons to great players, if not past then present. Since like you say, theyre in their prime.
Please tell me what Zlatan has done to justify any kind of hype whatsoever. I mean in the Swedish national team he was completely overshadowed by a player who had retired in Larsson and if not for that flick which may or may have not have been a fluke, his contibution to that tournament would have gone totally unnoticed. And whats the point in hyping up a player who does all the hyping himself.

Ronaldinho, if you do not know has been over hyperd for years, the difference being , he has just started to justify that hype and most critics call him the best in the world

Not sure if you normally hang about with guys 5 years your senior but from what i can see, Ronnie, Zlatan and Rooney are hardly contemporaries.

I have never rated Owen as he way to one-dimensional for my liking and for him to be claiming a goal he hardly touched against Cska Moscow just shows how desperate he is.

But for Rooney at 18 to be almost like a leader of a side which inludes not just Owen but Beckham as well, is something to be commended not derided.

Cruyff does just praise ppl for the heck of it unlike Pele who will tell Osama he is the best footballer in the world if he was in Afghanistan

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Please tell me what Zlatan has done to justify any kind of hype whatsoever. I mean in the Swedish national team he was completely overshadowed by a player who had retired in Larsson and if not for that flick which may or may have not have been a fluke, his contibution to that tournament would have gone totally unnoticed. And whats the point in hyping up a player who does all the hyping himself.

Ronaldinho, if you do not know has been over hyperd for years, the difference being , he has just started to justify that hype and most critics call him the best in the world

Not sure if you normally hang about with guys 5 years your senior but from what i can see, Ronnie, Zlatan and Rooney are hardly contemporaries.

I have never rated Owen as he way to one-dimensional for my liking and for him to be claiming a goal he hardly touched against Cska Moscow just shows how desperate he is.

But for Rooney at 18 to be almost like a leader of a side which inludes not just Owen but Beckham as well, is something to be commended not derided.

Cruyff does just praise ppl for the heck of it unlike Pele who will tell Osama he is the best footballer in the world if he was in Afghanistan
Well i think Zlatan Ibra would've been a lot more hyped had he been English. As much as Rooney mind you, if not more. You mention his moment of brilliance/fluke (the flick) whatever it may have been to be the reason he got noticed. Id still say Zlatan is undoubtedly a talent, anybody would want on their team. From what i remember of Euro 2004, all i can think of was that 1 run in from Rooney that won England a penalty against France. Yes 4 goals in total at the championships, 2 against the Swiss. But really? Did that justify his price tag which rocketed close to 50 mil. and besides that hes done precious little on the club front for everton. While away injured, his summer transfer to ManU got all the hype it wouldve needed, and then his debut, which was fantastic, no doubt, just made things hit the roof. Well from what i can see, in this whole time, there has been one glaring ommission from the Rooney hype. And that is his consistency. He hasnt proven any sort of consistency and great players ought to do that. Which is why i feel he needs his time to mature before he justifies any of this hype. Think about it: people say hes 18 and he can only get better, well what makes them think there isnt a possibility he could get worse? And if that ever happened, one of the main reasons contributing to that would be this hysteria.

As for Ronnie, well from what i remember, i dont think he has been half as hyped as Rooney has, even early on in his career. Today, people go on about Rooney. Well even at 24 (which is also relatively young), id still consider Ronaldinho the player who deserves to be spoken about. Why? Because hes quickly turning in to the best player on the planet.

When i speak of these players being contemporaries, i mean theyre the bright young talents of their respective squads, and are a generation that are likely to grow old together in World cups and Euros. For lack of a better word then, id still say they're contemporaries.

I dont think any of us here deride Rooney's commendable achievements. But i think its not right to do that to a young kid's career. Its one thing for him to be given important responsibility, but its completely another to put him up on a pedestial which he has not earned the rights to, just yet.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++

Your disdain for anything EPL related is a little disturbing. Of course, if he along with Cristiano Ronaldo were on Juve, you wouldn't be saying half of the stuff that you're saying now.
First off I was being sarcastic, which I think I made seem pretty obvious. Secondly, I think Ronaldo has more talent than Rooney, so maybe that has some barring on my decision. But if Rooney was at Juve I wouldn't be calling him better than Baggio, or not even a more talented player than Del Piero ever was at first. Time will tell.

Lastly, some of you people can't take differing opinions. Just because I'm not buying the hype over Rooney doesn't mean I abhor "anything EPL related".

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Lastly, some of you people can't take differing opinions. Just because I'm not buying the hype over Rooney doesn't mean I abhor "anything EPL related".
Ah now. When have you ever said anything positive about the EPL? :p

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I personally would take Rooney over Ibrahimovic any day but Ronaldinho will be my first choice.

Consistency? Well you might be right there as he has not actually proved him self consistently at 18 as he did at 16 when he helped out Everton loads of times from the bench

I do not think if Zlatan was english he would have been more hyped that Rooney as the press wpuld treat more like a Joe Cole type of player than anything else.

I think Zlatan is talented but at this stage its misused and he is no where near consistent as one minute he is brilliant and the next he is a complete donkey

Now the dutch league is not that tough in all honesty, so how many wow performances did he give for Ajax?

How many of England matches did you watch at the Euro 2004 and how many great performances did Zlatan put in as he was dreadful against the Dutch and if memory serves me he might have missed a penalty.

Rooney would not be swayed by what is said or written about him as he plays with so much confidence, surehe has loads to learn and is by no way a finished article but give him his due

He is just 18

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Ah now. When have you ever said anything positive about the EPL? :p
Many a times, plenty a times my friend. I've said in the past that the EPL might be the most exciting league in the world because of its pace. Gotcha there. :D

baggio

Jun 3, 2003

I've said in the past that the EPL might be the most exciting league in the world because of its pace. Gotcha there. :D
Really? Id like to think of the spanish league in those terms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)