Roma Players On Verge Of Club Exit (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Mexes handed six-week ban
Wednesday 16 February, 2005
Roma stopper Philippe Mexes has been banned for six weeks by the Court of Arbitration for Sport over his transfer from Auxerre.

The French club have always insisted the move was illegal after they accused the player, 22, of signing for the Italian outfit while still contracted to them.

FIFA initially imposed the six-week suspension at the start of the season but Roma, who netted the international in the summer, appealed and got the ban suspended.

However, the punishment has now been re-instated by the sporting court which will be a massive blow to the Olimpico boys.

Although Mexes has been struggling to perform, he’ll now miss the club’s next five League matches against Livorno, Palermo, Juventus, Cagliari and Milan.

Mexes, who would have been absent from the Livorno game on Sunday thanks to a one-match ban anyway, should return against Udinese on April 3.

Roma, who are desperately trying to qualify for the Champions’ League again, will replace Mexes in the side with Greek international Traianos Dellas.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jul 28, 2002
why the hell do we want totti?? mutu and enzo are better at least in mental stakes....yes even coca adi.

OP
Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #48
    That is a club on the way down if I ever saw one... :totti:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    But I don't think this will affect Roma all that much.Sure,he's a first teamer,but he hasn't settled that well thus far and Dellas isn;t a bad replacement at all.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    It juz gets better and better

Premier move for Pelizzoli

Ivan Pelizzoli is being linked with a summer move to England after struggling in goal for Roma. Reports suggest that his likely exit will be to an English club, with Manchester United and Arsenal possible destinations as they are both in the market for a ‘keeper. However, it is debatable whether the two clubs would want to gamble on the error-prone 24-year-old.

source: channel4.com

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    Mexes expected suspension Thursday 17 February, 2005

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Philippe Mexes is trying to look on the bright side after the Court of Arbitration for Sport banned him for six weeks yesterday.

The CAS turned down the Roma defender's appeal against FIFA's original suspension, handed down in August for "unilateral breach of contract" with his previous club Auxerre.

"I've been expecting this decision for a long time now," said the 22-year-old. "The page has been turned at last."

Mexes got himself into trouble by signing for Roma while still on Auxerre's books, and the France international now seems to recognise his mistake.

"This punishment exists to stop other players doing what I did," he said. "I'm actually quite relieved because Auxerre were asking for the maximum penalty – four months!

"That's why I'm still smiling. Six weeks out isn't too bad, it's better than an injury.

"What's annoying, though, is that I was only just getting back to my best, and showing everyone what I can do."

FIFA will now rule on how much compensation Roma must pay Auxerre, with the Burgundy club apparently demanding £12.4m .

They are unlikely to receive that much, but yesterday Auxerre boss Guy Roux reiterated his anger at the player he helped rise to prominence.

"He deserted this club with utter disregard for the law," he said. "It's only right that the CAS confirmed his punishment."

Mexes is due to return to action against Udinese on April 3.

source: channel4.com

:D:D:D

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by ZhiXin ] ++
    Roma has reaped wad they have sown. But in the end both Mexes and Roma failed to get away from this.
    Mexes did admit that he expected the ban-that shows both him and Roma knew that the transfer was illegal.Sensi is gonna have to pay through his nose because had he been sold properly he'd have cost a pretty penny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)