Rodrigo Bentancur (12 Viewers)

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Im on the fence...I know he can play better than he is...right now no midfieldets can be held 100 percent responsible for their form. The tactics are raping every single one of them...mckennie is somehow managing to shine which makes me wonder how good he can be under a better tactical system.

Nonetheless..lets sell bentancur...rabiot and ramsey....even Arthur...who do we bring in??? The club has been absolutely dismal in the transfer market when it comes to midfielders.
Look only around Serie A. Plenty of midfielders that are better than Bentancur in big and small clubs. That is not a good thing. Our "main" midfielder cannot be worse than so many competitors mids.

Kessie, Bennacer, Tonali - different profiles each, all more promising than Bentancur
Barella, Barella - too much better to go into further detail
Sergej, Luis Alberto - same as above
Fabian, Zielinski - one is a better version of Bentancur, the other is much more talented in attack
Pellegrini, Zaniolo - terrific young players with great technique
Locatelli, Traore - the first one is top class, the second one is raw but very promising
De Roon, Freuler - nothing spectacular but at least these guys have crazy stamina and tactical discipline

That's the top 7 of Serie A without us. 15 midfielders off the top of my head who are more exciting than Bentancur. Either because they are better players, or because they are quite promising.

Many of those have a profile that is too different to be a replacement, but it poses the question, is Bentancur good enough to be a key midfielder for this Juve? no. Can he be improved upon? yes, clearly. Every other team has a better player.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 6, 2015
The improvement in his passing has been pretty noticeable this season. Before this season I didn't know he had the ability to play line breaking passes with such regularity. He has been pretty clearly our best progressive passer this season. He has made 7.12 progressive passes this season compared to 4.06 last season. That's a pretty sizeable improvement, albeit he has mostly played in a deeper role this season which certainly helps to some degree. The talent is there for all to see just needs to keep improving.

Looking at midfielders (who have played regularly) that this season have done better in terms progressive passes you have familiar names:

De Paul 7.76​
Locatelli 8.03​
Barella 8.37​
Luis Alberto 9.15​

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 15.18.25.png

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 15.20.52.png

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
The improvement in his passing has been pretty noticeable this season. Before this season I didn't know he had the ability to play line breaking passes with such regularity. He has been pretty clearly our best progressive passer this season. He has made 7.12 progressive passes this season compared to 4.06 last season. That's a pretty sizeable improvement, albeit he has mostly played in a deeper role this season which certainly helps to some degree. The talent is there for all to see just needs to keep improving.

Looking at midfielders (who have played regularly) that this season have done better in terms progressive passes you have familiar names:

De Paul 7.76​
Locatelli 8.03​
Barella 8.37​
Luis Alberto 9.15​

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 15.18.25.png

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 15.20.52.png
Big difference between progressive passing and line breaking/key passes. His passing is always sterile and if anything he 'd be a water carrier and a sing-along in an actually very good midfield, nothing more.

I'm on the fence about keeping him as we have no quality at all in our midfield but I guess it depends on who attracts the biggest offers.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017

De Paul 7.76
Locatelli 8.03
Barella 8.37
Luis Alberto 9.15
I remember when people argued with me in the summer about how Locatelli and De Paul wouldn't improve our midfield :disagree:

Jun 6, 2015
Big difference between progressive passing and line breaking/key passes. His passing is always sterile and if anything he 'd be a water carrier and a sing-along in an actually very good midfield, nothing more.

I'm on the fence about keeping him as we have no quality at all in our midfield but I guess it depends on who attracts the biggest offers.
That's not true at all. I don't know where to find the stats for line breaking passes but those are precisely what he has improved upon this season. Plays them with regularity, which as I said has sligthly surprised me.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
That's not true at all. I don't know where to find the stats for line breaking passes but those are precisely what he has improved upon this season. Plays them with regularity, which as I said has sligthly surprised me.
:agree:

It has definitely improved. He played a very good pass to set up Chiesa's chance v Inter and an outstanding one to McKennie to create a chance at home recently (I think v Udinese). He's done it in other games too.

He's certainly been inconsistent and poor at times but he has had good games too. Some of the criticism is merited but a lot is unfounded.

Problem for me is that you just don't know what performance you will get from him eg 1st half v Milan he was all over the place.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
Didn't surprise me at all. Sideways or diagonal towards the wings or reaching a striker who drops deep is nothing special. Anyone will give you that after settling in.

And I don't expect him to become Pirlo all of a sudden but his passing is simply not consistently good enough. The point is he's not being played to his strenghts. Let Arthur take the role in front of the defence since he's much more secure on the ball and let Bentancur and McKennie do the dirty work around him.

Jun 6, 2015
Didn't surprise me at all. Sideways or diagonal towards the wings or reaching a striker who drops deep is nothing special. Anyone will give you that after settling in.

And I don't expect him to become Pirlo all of a sudden but his passing is simply not consistently good enough. The point is he's not being played to his strenghts. Let Arthur take the role in front of the defence since he's much more secure on the ball and let Bentancur and McKennie do the dirty work around him.
I'm not talking about sideways passes or passes towards the wings. I'm talking about actual progressive passing (I showed you the stats) and line breaking passes. For me it is surprising because I hadn't seen him play those "eye of the needle" passes before this season. I don't mind giving another try to Arthur in that position either but previous tries with him in that position haven't really worked. I think we might see it again today so hopefully it goes better this time.

singus

Sep 22, 2020
I was excited about Bentancur after his first season where I thought he really showed potential at his young age, being a well rounded player. However even if he has become more secure in many situations, then he also seem to have a mentality/concentration issue somehow. He makes stupid mistakes and he seem like he doesnt give a shit about anything.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
I'm not talking about sideways passes or passes towards the wings. I'm talking about actual progressive passing (I showed you the stats) and line breaking passes. For me it is surprising because I hadn't seen him play those "eye of the needle" passes before this season. I don't mind giving another try to Arthur in that position either but previous tries with him in that position haven't really worked. I think we might see it again today so hopefully it goes better this time.
I know your not talking about that. But I am because it's 99% of his passes. Again; you can pass forward and even through the "eye of a needle" without any danger to create an actual chance and a stat doesn't grab that. Benta's play is just too flat and inconsistent. Though it's not easy in this team for sure.

And Arthur has his flaws as well but he doesn't tend to lose possession in those critical positions which gives him the edge for me. If it were up to me, we'd invest in Locatelli and try Benta in the other midfield positions.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2015
I know your not talking about that. But I am because it's 99% of his passes. Again; you can pass forward and even through the "eye of a needle" without any danger to create an actual chance and a stat doesn't grab that. Benta's play is just too flat and inconsistent. Though it's not easy in this team for sure.

And Arthur has his flaws as well but he doesn't tend to lose possession in those critical positions which gives him the edge for me. If it were up to me, we'd invest in Locatelli and try Benta in the other midfield positions.
I'm very much on the Locatelli train, have been for a long time already.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
Is that Boca clause still active
Seems to be a bit of discussion about it but there were different sources stating it has been erased (with some payments). Still, Bentancur is a decent player to have on the roster. Sell Rabiot first if possible, he's on higher wages as well.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Very good game.

Won back possession numerous times and good with the ball. Both of centre mids were much more disciplined in their positioning which made a huge difference to us being more solid.

Needs to have a run of games like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)