Rodrigo Bentancur (17 Viewers)

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Come on he wasn't a key positive at all. Got so many wrong things in all areas of the pitch. Shooting, passing, defending and most importantly getting caught in possession too many times. If a 26 year old player had played like him he would get crazy amounts of hate. Its good that he is young and has potential, let's not get carried away though. His inexperience showed in a big way last night.

Playing him would have been like Zidane playing Ceballos. The fact that we have to play him while Madrid can bench Ceballos and play Kroos was a big gap last night.

Charrúa

Mar 26, 2018
Come on he wasn't a key positive at all. Got so many wrong things in all areas of the pitch. Shooting, passing, defending and most importantly getting caught in possession too many times. If a 26 year old player had played like him he would get crazy amounts of hate. Its good that he is young and has potential, let's not get carried away though. His inexperience showed in a big way last night.
I disagree. To start such a huge match being only 20 years old and having to deal with Kroos, Casemiro, Modric and Isco all at the same time is massive. Especially considering he hasn't been playing regularly. Yet, the kid showed great composure.

Sure he made some mistakes but as did the whole squad as well. He was one of the few players who had a good performance last night for Juve. Always wanting the ball, looking to create threat, showing intensity and never looking nervous. Besides, neither Marchisio, Matuidi nor Sturaro would have been a better choice. Poor result for Juve, good game for Bentancur.

Playing him would have been like Zidane playing Ceballos. The fact that we have to play him while Madrid can bench Ceballos and play Kroos was a big gap last night.
That just speaks of Madrid's squad depth, has nothing to do with Bentancur's performance yesterday.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004

I agree. He looked shiny on the ball, but he was all over the place.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I disagree. To start such a huge match being only 20 years old and having to deal with Kroos, Casemiro, Modric and Isco all at the same time is massive. Especially considering he hasn't been playing regularly. Yet, the kid showed great composure.

Sure he made some mistakes but as did the whole squad as well. He was one of the few players who had a good performance last night for Juve. Always wanting the ball, looking to create threat, showing intensity and never looking nervous. Besides, neither Marchisio, Matuidi nor Sturaro would have been a better choice. Poor result for Juve, good game for Bentancur.

That just speaks of Madrid's squad depth, has nothing to do with Bentancur's performance yesterday.
Well, you gotta ask...how did Modric/Kroos play when they were the same age? I like Bentancur a lot but he really needs to play more. His aggression is lovely, never gives up and doesn't mind the hunt. I love that. I wish we would have seen similar passing like he did with the NT this time around. When he wants to, he can really ping the ball but we need to give him the green light to do it (experiment).

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
No he didn't. I like him, I like that he can pass the ball well and I'm impressed that he came in straight to Juve at 20yo and wasn't a disaster, still he makes too made way too many mistakes. He did it too against Milan. That clip of him running back to win the ball doesn't highlight a great quality of his, its something that should have never happened.

Not at all. Always wanting the ball is his role, he is supposed to be the regista. Khedira, in a rare great game, was much better in the mid. Besides, what makes you say Marchisio would not have been a better choice when he is head and shoulders better than Bentancur? Marchisio hasn't put in a performance as insecure as Bentancur's last night in the last 10 years. This was Madrid, not Chievo, the key moments make or break a game. His performance was not good. He did pretty much the opposite of what we expect at Juve, which is to be tactically astute and make the right decisions on the ball. Pjanic would be crucified if he screwed up as many things as Bentancur did.

The only way he was good last night is if we put an asterisk on it, and follow the statement with "... for a 20 year old".

At most he was promising, that's it.

Charrúa

Mar 26, 2018
Well, you gotta ask...how did Modric/Kroos play when they were the same age? I like Bentancur a lot but he really needs to play more. His aggression is lovely, never gives up and doesn't mind the hunt. I love that. I wish we would have seen similar passing like he did with the NT this time around. When he wants to, he can really ping the ball but we need to give him the green light to do it (experiment).
Kroos had 20 league appearances with Bayern, including 6 starts. He also played in their B team that season. Modric was playing with Dinamo Zagreb, scoring 7 goals in 31 matches.

I'm sure none of them played as big of a match as Rodri did yesterday. I agree, he needs more playing time to develop further and he is consistently showing with his performances that he deserves it as well.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Kroos had 20 league appearances with Bayern, including 6 starts. He also played in their B team that season. Modric was playing with Dinamo Zagreb, scoring 7 goals in 31 matches.

I'm sure none of them played as big of a match as Rodri did yesterday. I agree, he needs more playing time to develop further and he is consistently showing with his performances that he deserves it as well.
Yep. That's the point I'm getting at...he is already at a top club playing someone frequently. He needs to stay (the club needs to keep him here) so he can keep growing.

Charrúa

Mar 26, 2018
No he didn't. I like him, I like that he can pass the ball well and I'm impressed that he came in straight to Juve at 20yo and wasn't a disaster, still he makes too made way too many mistakes. He did it too against Milan. That clip of him running back to win the ball doesn't highlight a great quality of his, its something that should have never happened.

Not at all. Always wanting the ball is his role, he is supposed to be the regista. Khedira, in a rare great game, was much better in the mid. Besides, what makes you say Marchisio would not have been a better choice when he is head and shoulders better than Bentancur? Marchisio hasn't put in a performance as insecure as Bentancur's last night in the last 10 years. This was Madrid, not Chievo, the key moments make or break a game. His performance was not good. He did pretty much the opposite of what we expect at Juve, which is to be tactically astute and make the right decisions on the ball. Pjanic would be crucified if he screwed up as many things as Bentancur did.

The only way he was good last night is if we put an asterisk on it, and follow the statement with "... for a 20 year old".

At most he was promising, that's it.
There is a reason Allegri played him yesterday. Look, I understand Marchisio is a sentimental player for Juve but at this point in time Bentancur is a better option. Despite an unjust yellow card, Allegri played him 90 minutes. He did have a bad performance against Hellas Verona if I recall correctly, and he was subsequently subbed after the first half. Had he been as bad tactically as you point out there is no way he would have played the entirety of the game. Despite a few mistakes and bad decisions, he had a solid showing, which is more than can be said for most of the team.

- - - Updated - - -

To say he had a bad performance when he had more touches and passes than the rest of the team (excluding Chiellini), as much tackles and interceptions as any of the defending players and a 90+% pass accuracy is madness. Especially considering all relevant circumstances discussed earlier.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
You are the one that sounds sentimental for a player. I don't care if Marchisio is our golden boy for this. He is an experienced player and experienced players don't play like Bentancur did last night because he is obviously not an experienced player. I guess you are Uruguayan and not a Juve fan. I don't care about any particular player more than I care about Juve. Bentancur, Marchisio, or Buffon included. Whoscored stats matter little. He was the regista, he is supposed to have more passes. Even Lemina and Hernanes, as bad as they were, when played at regista had tons of touches. Its what is supposed to happen.

Also, if he was the best option, that in no way implies that he is or was good. Just that he is better than his competition. Which is pointless in the argument that he was good against Madrid.

Charrúa

Mar 26, 2018
You are the one that sounds sentimental for a player. I don't care if Marchisio is our golden boy for this. He is an experienced player and experienced players don't play like Bentancur did last night because he is obviously not an experienced player. I guess you are Uruguayan and not a Juve fan. I don't care about any particular player more than I care about Juve. Bentancur, Marchisio, or Buffon included. Whoscored stats matter little. He was the regista, he is supposed to have more passes. Even Lemina and Hernanes, as bad as they were, when played at regista had tons of touches. Its what is supposed to happen.

Also, if he was the best option, that in no way implies that he is or was good. Just that he is better than his competition. Which is pointless in the argument that he was good against Madrid.
As experienced of a player as Chiellini and Barzagli? Look how that turned out yesterday. Let's just agree to disagree then, but I'm sure most would agree with me that Bentancur did not have a bad performance. Sure his lack of experience could be seen at times but that does not imply that he had a bad game. I will agree however that he needs to improve his shooting.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Ok, now I even checked the stats you mentioned.

He had the lowest tackle success rate of the team (20%). He did not have the most successful tackles, De Sciglio, Asamoah and Higuain had more than him. He was dribbled past the most times, 4. He was tied for dispossessed the most, 2. He won 0 aerial duels. He was 6th in passing accuracy. 0 key passes, which is less than 4 other players. 0/3 on the shots.

Stats can tell many stories.

Charrúa

Mar 26, 2018
Here's what a Spanish analyst had to say about Bentancur's performance yesterday:

Mature

In the absence of Pjanic, he confronted the game and took the transition well. He retreated with success and showed that the poster of a promising player is behind him.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

No. It was an almost impossible task for him, but you speak as if he actually dealt with those Real Madrid players. He didn't. Odds are he'll be a great player in the future. Yesterday he was not very convincing though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)