Rock, in all shapes and sizes (9 Viewers)

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
Oh man, I could talk about Genesis for days.

I like it all, really, including their solo efforts. There is so much material, and personally I am glad they kept pushing themselves and changing their styles instead of hanging on to the same sound they had with Peter. By Wind and Wuthering, which is still great, it was starting to feel a bit same-y to me (and also despite it having some of Steve's best on it). My personal favourites are likely Trespass (I love the folk feel that I think left the band along with Ant) and Abacab.

But favourite individual tracks would include a lot from the Nursery Cryme-TOTT :)

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
@Kate now the proper place to talk.

Personally I like Genesis all to the way to Invisible Touch, but I started losing interest the more popish they got. It lost that artistic almost theatrical touch to the music once Gabriel left. So my favorites have to be the ones between Nursery Cryme and A Trick of the Tail.

Isn't that the last album they released? I don't count "Calling All Stations" because, well, come on.

The one thing that Genesis should get a lot credit for was the way that they transformed themselves from at or near the top of the progressive music scene, to gradually doing the same thing with the Pop Rock genre. Because they didn't do it right away. There were a couple of albums in there after Peter left that were still quite Prog. Just goes to show the musicianship of that band

Edit- Forgot about "We Can't Dance"

That album wasn't too hot

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
Isn't that the last album they released? I don't count "Calling All Stations" because, well, come on.

The one thing that Genesis should get a lot credit for was the way that they transformed themselves from at or near the top of the progressive music scene, to gradually doing the same thing with the Pop Rock genre. Because they didn't do it right away. There were a couple of albums in there after Peter left that were still quite Prog. Just goes to show the musicianship of that band
I do count CAS, so there :p It has some great stuff on it, man, and I wish they'd tried one more like they originally had planned, but I understand why Mike wasn't up for it.

They maintained a lot of prog elements up until the end, to be honest. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Domino, Home by the Sea...

- - - Updated - - -

And you're forgetting We Can't Dance between IT and CAS.

- - - Updated - - -

WCD has their best music video, though ;)

[video=dailymotion;x38ib]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38ib_genesis-jesus-he-knows-me_music[/video]

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #604
    We'll talk more once I'm home Its a struggle to write long posts on the phone. But yes, the great thing about Genesis was their ability to completely change their style and maintain a certain high level regarding song writing complexity, even though it was pop music. Very few artists managed that kind of success, both commercially and the musicianship part of it.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
    We'll talk more once I'm home Its a struggle to write long posts on the phone. But yes, the great thing about Genesis was their ability to completely change their style and maintain a certain high level regarding song writing complexity, even though it was pop music. Very few artists managed that kind of success, both commercially and the musicianship part of it.
    :tup:

Apr 15, 2006
    Saw Steven Wilson live last night with @icemaη. It was the last show as part of his album tour, and it was bloody great. He did play a few Porcupine Tree songs, but his picks from his solo effort were great as well. as part of the encore, he paid tribute to Prince by covering one of his songs (he also paid tribute to Bowie before he played Lazarus) and saying he was one of the greatest pop musicians to have ever lived. It was pretty cool. He finally played 'The Raven That Refused to Sing' which was amazing!

Here's Asif and I with someone not from the forum.

$WhatsApp Image 2016-12-04 at 7.46.00 PM.jpg

WCD has their best music video, though ;)

[video=dailymotion;x38ib]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38ib_genesis-jesus-he-knows-me_music[/video]
    God, I loved that video as a kid. That and 'I Can't Dance' too. :sheik:

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #611
    Greg and Keith in the same year :sad:
    I know. It sucks so much that our music heroes from the golden generation will all be gone soon. Sad times ahead.

- - - Updated - - -
    @DAiDEViL I meant to ask you this once but I forgot. How do Germans in general still rate Krautrock and that whole music scene? Is it still something people listen to? Is stuff like Kraftwerk and Can still relevant to the music scene nowadays in Germany?

You being younger and all... Do the younger generation care at all? Is there a sense of being proud of your own music? Or have they all been American... Hip-hopized? :D

I ask because even old stuff like Tom Jobim/Bossa Nova is still a big influence in Brazilian popular music to this day. Is it the same way over there?

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    @DAiDEViL I meant to ask you this once but I forgot. How do Germans in general still rate Krautrock and that whole music scene? Is it still something people listen to? Is stuff like Kraftwerk and Can still relevant to the music scene nowadays in Germany?

You being younger and all... Do the younger generation care at all? Is there a sense of being proud of your own music? Or have they all been American... Hip-hopized? :D

I ask because even old stuff like Tom Jobim/Bossa Nova is still a big influence in Brazilian popular music to this day. Is it the same way over there?
    The German music scene is really sad, bar a few exceptions. If you want to become sucessfull you have to be a singer/songwriter (a genre i actually really like), but you don't sing about deep shit, nah, the people seem to only want meaningless songs, songs they can listen to whilst cleaning the house - background noise.

I don't think people younger than me even know about krautrock, it's pretty much dead...and well...i don't miss it :p don't like it at all...but still better than the Neue Deutsche Welle (99 Air balloons) :D

Hip-hopized :touched: Well, There was that wannabe gangster rapper period (Bushido...) but i feel like they are also about to extinct. The rap scene nowadays is quite nice i gotta say. More intelligent and funny folks, less gangster idiots.

There were only a handfull of german bands i used to listen, like The Beatsteaks

or The Donots.

Kraftwerk though :tup:
    Watch that docu if you want, pretty interesting to see what kinda influence they had on the music scene:

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #613
    @DAiDEViL

Too bad. It should be given more importance then. Especially by your people, I'd think it would be an important part of your culture, it changed the face of music and popular culture in a huge way, although most people won't realize this.

I've been a long time music collector and a heavy listener to all genres and scenes from all over the world, and it's clear to me that what happened in late 60's Germany was 10, 20 years ahead of everything else. It was the starting point for Electronic music, alternative Rock and even Punk rock.

A friend of mine has a theory that I don't fully agree with but he's definitely on to something... He says Kraftwerk was/is more important and should be more relevant than The Beatles. You look at what became of Electronic music and the number of genres that were given birth from it, and more over look at what mainstream (and even most underground) artists sound like today, almost always heavily electronic influenced, and he has a great point. It was the music of the future then, and it still is now. The Beatles paved the way for what music would sound like for decades, Kraftwerk MIGHT have paved the way for what music will sound like for centuries.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and yes, of course I have watched that doc. :D

Basel93

Dec 24, 2014
    Any Alter Bridge fans?

The intro is just too much.

Here's one of my all time favorites for them.

Alter Bridge were one of the first bands that introduced me to rock.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #616
    Aaaand OK Computer turns 20. To me it was the last of an era, just before Internet and digital music fully take over.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #618
    While I enjoy some Oasis there are several differences here. The thought of OK Computer being the last of its kind resolves around it being not only the album that was right in the middle of a big change. It had a concept and a highly attention given to production, the idea of making a piece of experimental art with songs so good they were hits, the masses embracing it. That was the case with Dark Side of The Moon, Tubular Bells and many more back in the 70s. OK Computer brought that back but in a modern sound.

Be here now was just a good rock N roll record with good ballads. There isn't a moment where you go "how did he achieve that sound?" nor is the kind of record that always surprises you with details you never noticed before. OK computer, like Dsotm and many others, are filled with those moments. From a production point of view its pure art. It was pushing the envelope and reaching for something else. That's what masterpieces do.

- - - Updated - - -

More over, I look at it as one of those records the engineer was almost as important as the song writing.

Imagine The Beatles without George Martin's input, or Pink Floyd without Alan Parsons'. There would be no Sgt Pepper or Dark Side of The Moon. Nigel Godrich was THE man in this case

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    While I enjoy some Oasis there are several differences here. The thought of OK Computer being the last of its kind resolves around it being not only the album that was right in the middle of a big change. It had a concept and a highly attention given to production, the idea of making a piece of experimental art with songs so good they were hits, the masses embracing it. That was the case with Dark Side of The Moon, Tubular Bells and many more back in the 70s. OK Computer brought that back but in a modern sound.

Be here now was just a good rock N roll record with good ballads. There isn't a moment where you go "how did he achieve that sound?" nor is the kind of record that always surprises you with details you never noticed before. OK computer, like Dsotm and many others, are filled with those moments. From a production point of view its pure art. It was pushing the envelope and reaching for something else. That's what masterpieces do.

- - - Updated - - -

More over, I look at it as one of those records the engineer was almost as important as the song writing.

Imagine The Beatles without George Martin's input, or Pink Floyd without Alan Parsons'. There would be no Sgt Pepper or Dark Side of The Moon. Nigel Godrich was THE man in this case
    The songwriting on Be Here Now is far superior to OK Computer. I find a great piece of songwriting like 'D'You Know What I Mean?' or 'All Around The World' to be infinitely more impressive than whatever the producer managed to cook up in the studio. I do often wonder "how did Noel write those songs?". Much harder to do than experimenting with sounds in the studio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)