Rock, in all shapes and sizes (3 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
@<a href="http://forum.juventuz.org/member.php?u=18035" target="_blank">CrimsonianKing</a>, they almost sound like early Beck

- - - Updated - - -

For my money, in my opinion, this is still my favorite debut album of all time

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Gerard Way's debut solo album is very good, nothing like the My Chemical Romance teen emo punk stuff. More like a glam indie/Britpop 80s to 90s sound, some Jesus And Mary Chain in there, lots of melodies and distortion.

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #23
    @CrimsonianKing , they almost sound like early Beck

- - - Updated - - -

:D That song does a bit, yes. But they're too Beatles-ish as you can see here:

Pretenders :tup:

It would be impossible for me to pick a favorite debut. In the 60's alone you got Are you Experienced, In The Court of The Crimson King, Procol Harum's self titled, Phallus Phei, Spirit, The Piper at The Gates of Dawn, Santana's self titled, Led Zeppelin's self titled, The Doors' self titled, etc. Too many to count.

adRHCP

Nov 7, 2012
    Well, we all know it's deader than dead now but we should have a place to talk about it. Got tired of hijacking other threads.

True that m8.

The only thing I know about new rock is that the Red Hot Chili Peppers should be releasing a new album this year :p other than that I don't know if Alt-J is considered rock, but it's one of my fav groups as of now

Völler

Always spot on
    May 6, 2012
    Aah didn't notice that.

And no, I never listened to Smashing Pumpkins before. I heard that Corgan was a child prodigy or something?
    I guess he was. :p But Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness are the obvious (and best) ones. But there's a huge difference in style between all their albums.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    :tup:

You both seem to like something a little harder, a little more "rockin" than I do. I do like PJ Harvey and Denali, though. But I also like that slightly softer, more indie-pop, kind of sound of Lady Lamb above, and... perhaps a band like Lucius.

- - - Updated - - -

I've always liked stuff along the lines of Lydia Tomkiw's monotone poetics in Algebra Suicide...

And then the no-wave out there aspect of Lizzy Mercier Descloux...

In terms of female "rock". Although titling either of the above "rock" might be stretching definitions.
    I really liked these Lizzy Mercier Descloux tracks. Especially the second one. Never heard of her before. Will have to go back catalog and find out more. :tup:

I'm always a little behind on some of the non-English rock talent, but I love the stuff. For example, lately I'm a couple years behind on the Spanish band of My-Bloody-Valentine-knock-offs, Odío Paris

I really liked the 1980s Dunedin Sound that came out of New Zealand with bands like The Verlaines and The Clean. The Verlaines had some of the best lyrics around. Graeme Downes was an excellent songwriter.
    I may be one of the few ones here who knows what you're talking about. :) I'm a pretty good fan of the Verlaines and the Chills and that ilk.

That's a pretty tall order for anybody, but I cannot deny that was and still is an amazing album -- debut or otherwise.

You're mistaking it with the metal thread. :)

And you never listened to Smashing Pumpkins before? :shocked:
    Growing up in Chicago, I couldn't avoid it. :p

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #32
    @swag you'll surely remember this :D

- - - Updated - - -

You grew up in Chicago? That's why you knew The Jesus Lizard :D Isn't Tortoise from Chicago too?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    My favorite band to come out of the Boston area.

No, not Aerosmith, Boston, Extreme, or the Cars.

Criminally underrated band right here

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    @swag you'll surely remember this :D

- - - Updated - - -

You grew up in Chicago? That's why you knew The Jesus Lizard :D Isn't Tortoise from Chicago too?
    Yup.

And Tortoise is from Chicago. I once saw a show where Isotope 217 opened for Tortoise... it was like half the band just changed instruments.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    :D That song does a bit, yes. But they're too Beatles-ish as you can see here:

Pretenders :tup:

It would be impossible for me to pick a favorite debut. In the 60's alone you got Are you Experienced, In The Court of The Crimson King, Procol Harum's self titled, Phallus Phei, Spirit, The Piper at The Gates of Dawn, Santana's self titled, Led Zeppelin's self titled, The Doors' self titled, etc. Too many to count.
    I don't think I could pick a favourite debut either. But a few at the top for me from across the last 50 years would be:

Greetings From Asbury Park ~ Bruce Springsteen
    Velvet Underground and Nico ~ Velvet Underground
    Hallelujah All the Way Home ~ The Verlaines
    Are You Experienced ~ Jimi Hendrix
    The Doors ~ The Doors
    Entertainment ~ Gang of Four
    Unknown Pleasures ~ Joy Division
    My Aim is True ~ Elvis Costello
    Funeral ~ Arcade Fire
    The Smiths ~ The Smiths
    Is This It ~ The Strokes
    XX ~ The XX
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn ~ Pink Floyd

- - - Updated - - -

I really liked these Lizzy Mercier Descloux tracks. Especially the second one. Never heard of her before. Will have to go back catalog and find out more. :tup:

I'm always a little behind on some of the non-English rock talent, but I love the stuff. For example, lately I'm a couple years behind on the Spanish band of My-Bloody-Valentine-knock-offs, Odío Paris

I may be one of the few ones here who knows what you're talking about. :) I'm a pretty good fan of the Verlaines and the Chills and that ilk.
    Glad to find another fan of The Verlaines and the like. New Zealand had a really interesting music scene in the 80s and early 90s around Dunedin. Every time I come across a new band from there, it seems I find some great songs.

Check out Lizzy's album Press Colour. It's got quite the selection of songs from her catalog. Interesting girl. She did that spoken word with Patti Smith of Rimbaud's Drunken Morning over some pretty atmospheric background music.

Never heard of Odío Paris. Certainly reminds of My Bloody Valentine.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a matter of liking heavier stuff. On the contrary, I'm a sucker for good melodies as i said above. But I'm very particular about indie bands and how they all sound alike.

It's a revival of all things lately, there's barely anything fresh. Most "alternative" bands of today (which hurts me to say since Alternative rock was really interesting in the 90's and really $#@! after that) are either going for that popish synthitized 80's and/or a modernish 60's sound.

I remember when I still cared to find new music not so long ago, i'd listen to playlists and playlists of Alternative/indie artists i've never heard before in the chance of finding something interesting, out of a 100 I might have find 1. And the rest was the same pop $#@! with the boring uninteresting melodies using with the same uninteresting chords. Actually melodies? Where the $#@! did they went? What's with the weird $#@! just for the sake of weirdness?

Krautrock was extreme experimental music yet interesting, avant-garde and revolutionary. These bands? meh.

Anyways, in one of those lists I found this, which as i said, is nothing but band trying to sound like they're in the 60's but at least they write clever music. ]
    :agree:

I've always been a big fan of Conny Plank, for the work he did in sound engineering and production of Krautrock stuff. The work he did with Dieter Moebius on his Kluster (and then Cluster) albums was fantastic. As were the Cluster--Eno collaborations.

From America, in that same realm of innovative, early Brian Eno was very good, from his strange looping experiments on (No Pussyfooting) with Robert Fripp, to his art rock on Here Come the Warm Jets to his transition/hybrid album Before and After Science to his ambient on Music For Films to his more experimental, heavily sampled My Life in the Bush of Ghosts with David Byrne. The man was a genius in my opinion, and was a musical pioneer.

Even his strange collab album with Lady June. Lady June's Linguistic Leprosy... Reminds me of Piano Magic a bit, now that I think of it. Piano Magic is one of the more interesting bands of the last 20 years. But here is Eno and Lady June.

Still, I think you underrate post-2000 music a little bit. Arcade Fire's first album Funeral was absolutely genius, and very original. They turned into a crap, or at least much more run-of-the-mill indie band after that first album, but that doesn't change how good that first album was. In my opinion, it's the best "rock" (or associated genres) album to come out of Canada ever. It's got that great combination of being like nothing one has heard before, but at the same time feeling familiar. Broken Social Scene's You Forgot it in People is another excellent album of the 00s out of Canada, again from a band with several other albums that never quite lived up to that one. Brian Jonestown Massacre had a couple very good post-2000 albums. The Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is excellent. The compilation album by David Lynch, Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse Dark Night of the Soul. The Strokes Is This It. The XX - xx was an excellent debut.

And then insanely talented musicians like Matt Elliott, Kishi Bashi, Owen Pallett (Final Fantasy) who have done some brilliant things. Matt Elliott's three mid-2000 albums Failing Songs, Drinking Songs, Howling Songs are genius.

And Shakey Graves. I saw him live a couple years ago, and then again this past August in Vancouver. The man is a fucking good musician.

- - - Updated - - -

I do get your point, as there is a crazy amount of terrible, banal dreck to sift through to find good music now, but it's out there, being made still, imo.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #38
    @PostIronic yes, there's still some good music out there being made. But if you look at the 00's most relevant bands today you're realize they were almost all from the 90's or even before. Bands with a particular uniqueness to their sound like Sigur Ros, Opeth, Portishead, Radiohead and so on...

Musically the 00's were the poorest decade yet as it stands, nothing impressively new has been added to the genre, not to me anyway. Not only technically speaking but from someone who studied sound engineering point of view, even the recording methods used were just bad. A good example is what was once used by the Beatles in a smaller way, a technique called wall of sound. Which IMO sounded like fucking shit. It was of course, reused to some extent by the likes of My Bloody Valentine, Lush and most shoegazing bands.

Piling up tracks and more Guitar tracks top of another making a sound like a bees army. Billy Corgan used to record 30 different guitar tracks of the same parts just to get that unbelievable buzzy sound. But to my knowledge, It was brought back to modern times in a big way by Oasis. It simply killed dynamics in a song. They simply cranked it up as high as they could.

You listen to, especially the first one, an Oasis record, except for the different melodies, it's like a continuous song. No dynamics whatsoever. Most bands followed then. Rush had to remix Vapor Trails because it just sounded terrible.

So my point is, there is more to why the music of the 00's weren't up to par than just the artists. Other decades saw great sounding records, stupendous production and brilliant work of engineering.

Oh, Speaking of which, there's something modern i find a masterpiece. Which was Portishead latest album, Third. Now, this to my ears is what Radiohead tried to achieve with King of Limbs and failed. Portishead on the other hand made a Krautrock-influenced masterpiece.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    ...and I don't even like Portishead. That's just a matter of personal preference though. I've never really liked their sound. I'd place an album like Of Montreal's 2007 Hissing Fauna Are You the Destroyer far above it. Of Montreal, from Satanic Panic in the Attic(04) to Skeletal Lamping(08), is to me the most interesting band of the era, as far as sound goes. And I cannot think of a better, or at the very least, more interesting lyricist than Kevin Barnes. But Portishead and Of Montreal are so far apart in the musical world, that comparing the two is rather pointless.

But, most of what I listen to post-2000 wouldn't probably fit into the rock genre. A bit of it, yes, not the majority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)