Rock, in all shapes and sizes (25 Viewers)

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
Sadly, that's the state of rock music though. More dying than producing much of note.

:lol: I thought the same thing. Sounded like someone fed a music AI with the T4F back catalog.

Don't get me wrong... I really like a lot of Pink Floyd.

But this reminded me of one of my favorite album reviews, and it was one of the shortest. It came from JD Considine in Musician magazine on Pink Floyd's 1988 Delicate Sound of Thunder: Live:

"Proof that you can't listen to a light show."
Sadly, that's the state of rock music though. More dying than producing much of note.

:lol: I thought the same thing. Sounded like someone fed a music AI with the T4F back catalog.

But this reminded me of one of my favorite album reviews, and it was one of the shortest. It came from JD Considine in Musician magazine on Pink Floyd's 1988 Delicate Sound of Thunder: Live:

Been a Floyd fan over 25 years now, and I've been exposed to my share of music (From Led to Maiden to classical) since my dad was also a Jazz drumme..anyway I've realized that alot of people with lower intelligence respond to dumbed down shit and will reject what they don't understand it's too heavy for em..The wall for example has been literally studied at university level for it's content, Dark side of the moon is a masterpiece never to b repeated but sure critic buddy you look at the shiny lights along with your 10 year old LOL

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:
OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #982

Guitar rock will never be as it was and honestly it shouldn't. Blues-based guitar been exhausted to a point where there can't be anything new.

There was something new in metal for a while, whether we like it or not, but that also has been exhausted. Having said that...

As a sound engineer I've been seeing a rise in interesting, talented and creative artists all over the globe looking for that "organic" sound once again. And they're hitting the mainstream too, as grammy nominated and actual winners. There's a demand now it seems.You got to a Starbucks or these healthy/vegan/whatever the fuck-friendly places and that's all the stuff that's being played now.

15 years ago that barely existed, everybody was aiming for that flawless perfect generic sound in pop, rock, country, you name it.

You listen to a top 40 mainstream and you might be surprised to find that even people like Justin Bieber are putting out songs with a little more complexity, some interesting chord structure and melody and *be shocked* "real' instruments! Of course the majority are still that electronic pop formulaic we've always known but maybe the state of the world has a lot to do with these changes in music.

:lol: That's actually a good description of that show.That wasn't the greatest Floyd period and I think they should've called quits after Roger left. But I do enjoy Division Bell and that tour. (PULSE)

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Been a Floyd fan over 25 years now, and I've been exposed to my share of music (From Led to Maiden to classical) since my dad was also a Jazz drumme..anyway I've realized that alot of people with lower intelligence respond to dumbed down shit and will reject what they don't understand it's too heavy for em..The wall for example has been literally studied at university level for it's content, Dark side of the moon is a masterpiece never to b repeated but sure critic buddy you look at the shiny lights along with your 10 year old LOL
    You're gonna have to explain to me how you went from my post opening with
    and then describing one of my favorite reviews from a rock critic ...

to this.:lol: A Russian troll couldn't have written it better.

Dude, Rona is a bear. Good time to chill a bit.

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
    You're gonna have to explain to me how you went from my post opening with

and then describing one of my favorite reviews from a rock critic ...

to this.:lol: A Russian troll couldn't have written it better.

Dude, Rona is a bear. Good time to chill a bit.
    My bad I didn't mean to diss your favorite critic but it happens too often than critics or otherwise, associate Floyd as drug related or a show with lights and lasers as if the music is not enough, must have misinterpreted it..anyway so what does that mean you can't listen to a light show I'd like to know..and I'm going to HAVE to ask who is Rona the bear? Is it a good time to chill? Thanks dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Guitar rock will never be as it was and honestly it shouldn't. Blues-based guitar been exhausted to a point where there can't be anything new.

There was something new in metal for a while, whether we like it or not, but that also has been exhausted. Having said that...

As a sound engineer I've been seeing a rise in interesting, talented and creative artists all over the globe looking for that "organic" sound once again. And they're hitting the mainstream too, as grammy nominated and actual winners. There's a demand now it seems.You got to a Starbucks or these healthy/vegan/whatever the fuck-friendly places and that's all the stuff that's being played now.

15 years ago that barely existed, everybody was aiming for that flawless perfect generic sound in pop, rock, country, you name it.

You listen to a top 40 mainstream and you might be surprised to find that even people like Justin Bieber are putting out songs with a little more complexity, some interesting chord structure and melody and *be shocked* "real' instruments! Of course the majority are still that electronic pop formulaic we've always known but maybe the state of the world has a lot to do with these changes in music.

:lol: That's actually a good description of that show.That wasn't the greatest Floyd period and I think they should've called quits after Roger left. But I do enjoy Division Bell and that tour. (PULSE)
    Well thought out and well said and although I agree that the quality has improved lately it will never be as good as it was..mostly because artists used to be innovators in thier craft and they were heavily involved in every aspect of making an album. Pink Floyd crafted the sounds they used on early albums, they were the synthesizer. Even the most talented new artists rely heavily on modern tools and even with all the digital goodies, even the recording quality isn't there let alone the art aspect.
    Waters is a genius def one of a kind..Met him in 06 on his tour in Hollywood he signed some autographs and left in a hurry, all agitated loll but Jon Carin as he was going to the bus heard everyone call out and came and hung for a bit in the cold like he knew us for years, was a big surprise and a great one.

Last edited:
    OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #985
    Well thought out and well said and although I agree that the quality has improved lately it will never be as good as it was..mostly because artists used to be innovators in thier craft and they were heavily involved in every aspect of making an album. Pink Floyd crafted the sounds they used on early albums, they were the synthesizer. Even the most talented new artists rely heavily on modern tools and even with all the digital goodies, even the recording quality isn't there let alone the art aspect.
    Waters is a genius def one of a kind..Met him in 06 on his tour in Hollywood he signed some autographs and left in a hurry, all agitated loll but Jon Carin as he was going to the bus heard everyone call out and came and hung for a bit in the cold like he knew us for years, was a big surprise and a great one.
    It's silly to expect the same innovations as back then, it can't and won't happen. The 60's changed everything not only in music but in all forms of art. There was also the fight for social justice, the popularization of anti-war protests, etc etc.. Society was becoming something else entirely.

You had the 'discovering' of distortion and how that aggressive harmonic sound changed the way musicians created music, You had new instruments being born like the Rhodes, the Mellotron being one of the first samplers and used as an orchestra emulation on a portable package, the Hammond moving from being a church instrument to something sought after on stages and of course the first synthesizers which took everything to yet another level. There were those new instruments that then inspired the young musicians to explore unknown territories. Not to mention how fast studio equipment was evolving year-by-year offering new ways for musicians to express themselves. There was a general sense of discovery then.

I could go on and on but the main point is that nothing can't be that innovative in popular music again. It already happened. All we can do is appreciate how there's a new generation that still cares about the artistic side of their craft.

And btw there's nothing wrong with relying on modern tools. If anything they're a blessing. As long as the musicianship is there, the music will always be well represented and there are PLENTY good stuff out there these days.

Last edited:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    My bad I didn't mean to diss your favorite critic but it happens too often than critics or otherwise, associate Floyd as drug related or a show with lights and lasers as if the music is not enough, must have misinterpreted it..anyway so what does that mean you can't listen to a light show I'd like to know..and I'm going to HAVE to ask who is Rona the bear? Is it a good time to chill? Thanks dude.
    He's hardly my favorite critic. Critics are hated now more than they were 30 years ago. Nobody likes people inserting themselves as arbiters of anything anymore ... except for Instagram influencers. I completely don't get why those people don't get the same burn-down-the-farm anger as do music critics, movie critics, politicians, and journalists.

Critics are usually known for primping and doing pirouettes to show off their cultured sophistication and how they're so much cooler than you. Or at least that's the stereotype. So that when a critic actually learns how to edit themselves -- going from flowery 3000-word essays about Steve Wonder's classic period to only words you can count on two hands -- I find it hilariously refreshing for a complete change. It's like the music critic's version of going from Emerson Lake & Palmer to the Sex Pistols.

And to be honest, as much as I love donning the headphones to a lot of 70s and late 60s Pink Floyd albums, their light shows and laser setups are kind of the analogues of the flowery 3000-word essays about Steve Wonder's classic period: overwrought, trying way too hard to impress others, and not letting the music speak for itself. A band can spend more time thinking about everyone else and not enough about their own creative selves. So Pink Floyd deserves that kind of criticism too for what they did with over-the-top light shows.

As you said: "as if the music is not enough".

And "Rona is a bear" was a reference to coronavirus making us all a little prone to knee-jerk responses to each other.]

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
    It's silly to expect the same innovations as back then, it can't and won't happen. The 60's changed everything not only in music but in all forms of art. There was also the fight for social justice, the popularization of anti-war protests, etc etc.. Society was becoming something else entirely.

You had the 'discovering' of distortion and how that aggressive harmonic sound changed the way musicians created music, You had new instruments being born like the Rhodes, the Mellotron being one of the first samplers and used as an orchestra emulation on a portable package, the Hammond moving from being a church instrument to something sought after on stages and of course the first synthesizers which took everything to yet another level. There were those new instruments that then inspired the young musicians to explore unknown territories. Not to mention how fast studio equipment was evolving year-by-year offering new ways for musicians to express themselves. There was a general sense of discovery then.

I could go on and on but the main point is that nothing can't be that innovative in popular music again. It already happened. All we can do is appreciate how there's a new generation that still cares about the artistic side of their craft.

And btw there's nothing wrong with relying on modern tools. If anything they're a blessing. As long as the musicianship is there, the music will always be well represented and there are PLENTY good stuff out there these days.
    No doubt that those innovative years can't be quite duplicated if ever, it was an explosion..
    Don't you have to care about the artistic side to call yourself an artist to begin with? and just because they care doesn't mean the standards are as they could be, relying on modern tools is a blessing as long as the tools don't take over..record a hiphop album using electric drums for the part or use your software on your laptop to make the entire thing, and just do vocals, it's the same thing right? With advances, in a few years we can have so called opera singers who care about thier craft and sing into special mics with auto off pitch correction..
    Its about here that we enter a gray area and it turns into opinions and philosophy so I'll leave it there. But that general sense of discovery was driven by the artist to contribute to sound rather than now purely using those tools to enable you to make your desired sound. That is the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

He's hardly my favorite critic. Critics are hated now more than they were 30 years ago. Nobody likes people inserting themselves as arbiters of anything anymore ... except for Instagram influencers. I completely don't get why those people don't get the same burn-down-the-farm anger as do music critics, movie critics, politicians, and journalists.

Critics are usually known for primping and doing pirouettes to show off their cultured sophistication and how they're so much cooler than you. Or at least that's the stereotype. So that when a critic actually learns how to edit themselves -- going from flowery 3000-word essays about Steve Wonder's classic period to only words you can count on two hands -- I find it hilariously refreshing for a complete change. It's like the music critic's version of going from Emerson Lake & Palmer to the Sex Pistols.

And to be honest, as much as I love donning the headphones to a lot of 70s and late 60s Pink Floyd albums, their light shows and laser setups are kind of the analogues of the flowery 3000-word essays about Steve Wonder's classic period: overwrought, trying way too hard to impress others, and not letting the music speak for itself. A band can spend more time thinking about everyone else and not enough about their own creative selves. So Pink Floyd deserves that kind of criticism too for what they did with over-the-top light shows.

As you said: "as if the music is not enough".

And "Rona is a bear" was a reference to coronavirus making us all a little prone to knee-jerk responses to each other.]
    Ok makes sense now.
    Criticism for what for giving a perfect show? To spend millions on lasers is certainly not to enhance the music of Floyd it's to go above and beyond, to give the audience an experience other than songs they heard for years..Let's use lasers and lights to enhance DSOTM :D.. they are the only band who never tried to impress anybody including thier own recording label anyone who knows Floyd slightly well knows that. Pink Floyd, breaking molds since 66 don't need lights to amuse masses.

Last edited:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Ok makes sense now.
    Criticism for what for giving a perfect show? To spend millions on lasers is certainly not to enhance the music of Floyd it's to go above and beyond, to give the audience an experience other than songs they heard for years..Let's use lasers and lights to enhance DSOTM :D.. they are the only band who never tried to impress anybody including thier own recording label anyone who knows Floyd slightly well knows that. Pink Floyd, breaking molds since 66 don't need lights to amuse masses.
    The trouble is so many live albums of the 70s and 80s were so overproduced, it was like listening to auto-tune before auto-tune. I can't really comment on the album's quality itself, as Delicate Sound of Thunder came out around a time where I was completely done with live albums. Not only were they overproduced and poor sterile copies of studio recordings at that time, they became a bad gimmick that allowed bands to pay for a new yacht by dusting off their old catalog.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    It's silly to expect the same innovations as back then, it can't and won't happen.
    this. and that's why i don't really care about obvious influences unless it's a blatant steal.

btw did you hear the new wilson record? i can't get myself to be bothered tbh. of course i'll give it a few listens before a final verdict, but i have a feeling that the songs are not as good on this one as on his previous solo records. anyway, here's a cool bonus song, available in flac too:
    https://alanlastufka.com/2021/02/10/steven-wilson-tastemaker-free-mp3-flac-download-streaming-audio/

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #991
    this. and that's why i don't really care about obvious influences unless it's a blatant steal.

btw did you hear the new wilson record? i can't get myself to be bothered tbh. of course i'll give it a few listens before a final verdict, but i have a feeling that the songs are not as good on this one as on his previous solo records. anyway, here's a cool bonus song, available in flac too:
    https://alanlastufka.com/2021/02/10/steven-wilson-tastemaker-free-mp3-flac-download-streaming-audio/
    I did listen to it a few times. I thought it was okay. It sounds to me like an older guy trying to be hip and modern which is in fact what it is, but still sounding like an older guy. The production is amazing as always sonically speaking but it’s all a little bland as is most of what he does. I like the fact he completely moved away from prog metal, had enough of that tbh. But the songs aren’t really exciting.

AriG

Feb 17, 2019

JeriGOAT :delpiero: @Mark

Hopefully his next theme song in AEW

He's like a breath of fresh air in this annoying hip hop era
    "In this annoying hip hop era" yet he uses a trap beat and the songs' style is groove/nu metal which is a very hip hop influenced metal sub genre.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)