Rock, in all shapes and sizes (7 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
A fun fact, did you know some producers convinced Rod Evans to tour with the name Deep Purple in the late 70's? So this bogus band toured and when people realized that wasn't the Purple they expected, shit hit the fan. Shows were bad, the musicians not up to par and well, Rod Evans isn't Gillan.

Evans ended up getting sued by the real Deep Purple and lost all royalty rights to his songs. IIRC he left the music business after that :lol:
@King of Kings

- - - Updated - - -

Read the story I posted above about Zappa and Bowie meeting up in Germany. I'm sure you'll appreciate it. :D
I knew about that.

In fact, Ian Paice, who is the ONLY original member of Deep Purple left, has no idea where Rod Evans is.

Admittedly, I have never heard of Captain Beyond.

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
David :touched:

I totally forgot how he called out MTV 30 years ago

- - - Updated - - -
@CrimsonianKing

I don't know if you have ever seen this, but go to the 1:18:00 mark in this concert. This made me start crying all over again. George :heart:

- - - Updated - - -

@swag @King of Kings; Speaking of jazz, have you heard of Kamasi Washington?
I've heard of him. One of the few beacons of hope in the jazz world these days.

I know that he arranged Kendrick's To Pimp a Butterfly. That is how I first heard of him

Apr 15, 2006

I know that he arranged Kendrick's To Pimp a Butterfly. That is how I first heard of him
You should check out him album called The Epic. One of my coworkers wrote an article about it on Variety, and after checking it out, I kinda like it too. I obviously don't have the ear for jazz yet, but I'm sure you'll like it.

http://variety.com/2015/music/news/...jazz-has-been-largely-exaggerated-1201489072/

- - - Updated - - -

Read the story I posted above about Zappa and Bowie meeting up in Germany. I'm sure you'll appreciate it. :D
:lol: Just did. Leave it to Frank to say "Fuck you" to David Bowie! :D Frank was awesome!

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #445
    I knew about that.

In fact, Ian Paice, who is the ONLY original member of Deep Purple left, has no idea where Rod Evans is.

Admittedly, I have never heard of Captain Beyond.
    Legend has it he became a doctor or smtg:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

David :touched:

I totally forgot how he called out MTV 30 years ago

- - - Updated - - -
    @CrimsonianKing

I don't know if you have ever seen this, but go to the 1:18:00 mark in this concert. This made me start crying all over again. George :heart:

- - - Updated - - -

Will do when i get home.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #449
    :lol: Just did. Leave it to Frank to say "Fuck you" to David Bowie! :D Frank was awesome!
    Adrian Belew just posted the second part to the his Bowie/Zappa story. Frank was such a cunt. this is hilarious :lol: :lol: @Post Ironic @King of Kings
    By definition a postscript is never as engaging as the story itself. I hope you're not expecting too much, but here's the conclusion:

It was February in Europe which meant it was icy cold outside, but for me it was even more icy inside. When you're touring, especially in a professional band of hired musicians, you tend to "partner up" with someone; one person you hang out with the most.

Frank was the person I hung out with. I often sat next to him as we traveled on planes and buses, I joined him at breakfast, etc. I had stayed at Frank's house many weekends during our 3-month rehearsal schedule and I felt we had some sort of friendship beyond employer/employee.

Of course he was entitled now to be distant to me. He had plucked me out of obscurity, taught me so many things, and shined a bright light on me. Frank was my mentor and he was not an asshole to me, not ever! He was generous, funny as heck, brilliant, and informative. A genius. I had the time of my life around him. It was never part of my plan to leave Frank's tutelage forever.

We still had two weeks of touring left. Frank had already informed me of his intentions after the tour ended. He said he was going to rent a giant film editing machine and spend three or four months editing our live concert footage into a film called "Baby Snakes".
    He explained I would be kept on a retainer which meant I would be paid to do nothing but wait for Frank's next project. I received a call from my manager. Now it was official: I was being offered a 4-month tour with David Bowie. (In reality it turned into more than a year).

Later that day we were on a bus to an airport. I decided to break the ice. I walked to the very last row in the bus where Frank was sitting. I told him about David's offer. I reminded him of his plan to edit his film and pay me a retainer and asked him if it didn't make more sense for me to join David's tour for 4 months instead. I told him I would gladly return after the tour. Frank reached out and we shook hands.

That evening, February 26th, we played a concert in Brussels, Belgium. One of Frank's songs we did was "Yo Mama". But for that show Frank substituted the words "Your David". So this is what he sang:

"Maybe you should stay with your David,
    He can do your laundry and cook for you,
    Maybe you should stay with your David,
    You're really kind of stupid and ugly too".
    Two nights later the tour ended in London at the Hammersmith Odeon. There was an onstage occurrence which angered Frank. Fortunately I had nothing to do with it. Frank cut the show short and stormed off. The next day most of the band members flew back to L.A. where they all lived. I was told later that Frank fired the band on that flight home.
    I got on a plane to Dallas for two weeks rehearsal with David Bowie.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #454
    Man, I'd love to see a video of that version of Yo Mama. :D
    Yeah, me too :lol: I think Frank realized he wasn't coming back, that was Bowie ffs and that pissed him off.

And it was on that tour that Belew met Fripp and King Crimson was reformed :D Imagine the stories this guy must have, having played for 3 legendary artists....

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Yeah, me too :lol: I think Frank realized he wasn't coming back, that was Bowie ffs and that pissed him off.

And it was on that tour that Belew met Fripp and King Crimson was reformed :D Imagine the stories this guy must have, having played for 3 legendary artists....
    Did you watch that video I posted of Bowie: Live on Demand?

At least that part that I had referenced, which is beyond adorable.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #458
    @King of Kings

19 BOWIE ALBUMS AND 13 SINGLES IN UK TOP 100

“I never thought I’d need so many people...”

David Bowie is the Starman of the Official Chart as the nation pays tribute to a music icon

Over half a million Bowie records sold in the UK this week

Bowie commands one quarter of the Official Albums Chart Top 40

19 Bowie albums and 13 singles enter the Top 100

The full list of his 19 albums in this week’s Official Albums Chart appears below:
    01 - BLACKSTAR - RCA
    05 - NOTHING HAS CHANGED - THE VERY BEST OF DAVID BOWIE - PARLOPHONE
    11 - THE BEST OF 1969/1974 - PARLOPHONE
    14 - HUNKY DORY - PARLOPHONE
    17 - THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST - PARLOPHONE
    18 - BEST OF BOWIE - PARLOPHONE
    23 - ALADDIN SANE - PARLOPHONE
    25 - THE NEXT DAY - RCA
    31 - LOW - PARLOPHONE
    37 - DIAMOND DOGS - PARLOPHONE
    42 - LET'S DANCE - PARLOPHONE
    45 - "HEROES" - PARLOPHONE
    55 - STATION TO STATION - PARLOPHONE
    59 - THE BEST OF - 1980/1987 PARLOPHONE
    60 - YOUNG AMERICANS - PARLOPHONE
    61 - SCARY MONSTERS - PARLOPHONE
    89 - THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD - PARLOPHONE
    95 - SPACE ODDITY - PARLOPHONE
    97 - FIVE YEARS - 1969-1973 - PARLOPHONE

Finally the charts have fucking great music in it once again.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    @King of Kings

19 BOWIE ALBUMS AND 13 SINGLES IN UK TOP 100

“I never thought I’d need so many people...”

David Bowie is the Starman of the Official Chart as the nation pays tribute to a music icon

Over half a million Bowie records sold in the UK this week

Bowie commands one quarter of the Official Albums Chart Top 40

19 Bowie albums and 13 singles enter the Top 100

The full list of his 19 albums in this week’s Official Albums Chart appears below:
    01 - BLACKSTAR - RCA
    05 - NOTHING HAS CHANGED - THE VERY BEST OF DAVID BOWIE - PARLOPHONE
    11 - THE BEST OF 1969/1974 - PARLOPHONE
    14 - HUNKY DORY - PARLOPHONE
    17 - THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST - PARLOPHONE
    18 - BEST OF BOWIE - PARLOPHONE
    23 - ALADDIN SANE - PARLOPHONE
    25 - THE NEXT DAY - RCA
    31 - LOW - PARLOPHONE
    37 - DIAMOND DOGS - PARLOPHONE
    42 - LET'S DANCE - PARLOPHONE
    45 - "HEROES" - PARLOPHONE
    55 - STATION TO STATION - PARLOPHONE
    59 - THE BEST OF - 1980/1987 PARLOPHONE
    60 - YOUNG AMERICANS - PARLOPHONE
    61 - SCARY MONSTERS - PARLOPHONE
    89 - THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD - PARLOPHONE
    95 - SPACE ODDITY - PARLOPHONE
    97 - FIVE YEARS - 1969-1973 - PARLOPHONE

Finally the charts have fucking great music in it once again.
    As it should be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)