Robin van Persie - ST - Manchester United (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Tevez rotate with Dybala
Morata rotate with RVP

Should be that difficult to manage for Allegri.
That's just an unnecessary waste of money, and of Dybala's potential. So he only plays when Tevez needs to rest, and RVP with his hefty wages only plays when Morata needs to rest. That role really should be for someone on low wages like Zaza.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
We made over 90m dollars this year. Plus we have some outgoing sales/and end-of-contracts. There is plenty of wiggle room for wages.
Opportunity costs.

It's not as if we'd have that money for Van Persie wages and it wouldn't be there otherwise. I could use the same argument to justify signing Borriello, just because we've got money doesn't mean we should waste it.

OP

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #65
    That's just an unnecessary waste of money, and of Dybala's potential. So he only plays when Tevez needs to rest, and RVP with his hefty wages only plays when Morata needs to rest. That role really should be for someone on low wages like Zaza.
    I don't get why, at 21 years old, Dybala can be rotational with one of the top strikers in Europe that will be on his final year of his contract then the season next he becomes the starter. Why is that a problem? I mean, Llorente was clearly 3rd pick and look how many games he played, started or came in as sub.

Not to mention the risk of injuries, God forbid.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    No, I mean the difference between Zaza's and Van Persie's wages could be used much better elsewhere.
    You could also say that the difference in the transfer fees between the two could be better used elsewhere also.

I don't think that United would ask for 15 million for RVP, and if they did, I would laugh, and then hang up on them.

And then I would call them back and tell them that I had a chance to think it over.

And then I would laugh. And I would hang up again.

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #67
    No, they spent 32 million on Tevez' replacement.
    They are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Dybala is CLEARLY the replacement for Tevez when he leaves which is either this summer or next.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
    Aug 22, 2007
    I don't get why, at 21 years old, Dybala can be rotational with one of the top strikers in Europe that will be on his final year of his contract then the season next he becomes the starter. Why is that a problem? I mean, Llorente was clearly 3rd pick and look how many games he played, started or came in as sub.

Not to mention the risk of injuries, God forbid.
    Llorente played in place of both Tevez and Morata. You are saying that Dybala would only play when Tevez isn't

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    Exactly, I don't understand why him becoming first choice striker in some outlandish scenario would be a factor here.

And of course he'd have resale value, we could easily sell him for a couple of million at 26 or so should we want a better player for the job.
    we could sell RVP to the MLS in 2-3 years for a couple of millions too. easily. and honestly, we as a club dont care about resale value when we are purchasing a player

No they didn't.

Read my previous post.
    OK, they didnt

still doesent mean RVP is past it and that we shouldnt take him if possible. at his best day he is on par with the best strikers in the world. if he can replicate half of his best form here, at 10-15M and Khedira level wages, he would be a top signing

but i already said in my 1st post in this thread that this is not happening anyway, so no point in discussing this much

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    Resale value is important for a team like us but it shouldnt always be the basis for making signings.

If an opportunity like Van Persie is available on the cheap and with lower wages,you take it.

I cant believe people want Zaza over RVP.Once Tevez leaves,we'll be left with a young inexperienced forward line.So an experienced head or two would balance it out.
    It's not the most important factor for sure, but it should be considered.

My main trouble with Van Persie is that he's just not really performed at all for 2 seasons, and in my opinion will not be able to turn it around anymore, especially if he won't play consistently in his role and the injuries of his hinder his progress.

For the role of 3rd striker, reliability is more important than pure quality. Zaza has a ceiling much lower than Van Persie, but he's a safe bet, and can be relied upon to do his job when called upon, plus he's cheaper.

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #72
    Opportunity costs.

It's not as if we'd have that money for Van Persie wages and it wouldn't be there otherwise. I could use the same argument to justify signing Borriello, just because we've got money doesn't mean we should waste it.
    Wat? How can you use my argument of signing RVP and then use it on Borriello which is nothing close to RVP.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
    Jun 1, 2012
    We need a competent striker to rotate with Morata,not freaking Zaza.
    Morata has been clutch in CL but lets not forget,he hasnt started half the games in the league.He'll obviously get his chances next season but he has still some way to go to be our leading man.Im being very realistic about him.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    You could also say that the difference in the transfer fees between the two could be better used elsewhere also.

I don't think that United would ask for 15 million for RVP, and if they did, I would laugh, and then hang up on them.

And then I would call them back and tell them that I had a chance to think it over.

And then I would laugh. And I would hang up again.
    Well, the reports of him going to Lazio mention this exact fee :D

Which in any case I'm pretty sure is his destination anyways, I doubt very much that we're seriously considering him.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    You guys would see him as the 3rd striker? So we just spent 32m on a 4th striker?
    depends how we play next season. if we play with 3 strikers then we do need another great player since our bench would be quite thin in that department. if we use a front 2 again, then RVP would make less sense, but i can still understand why we would want him. Tevez/Dybala - Morata/RVP would be a monstrous forward line

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #77
    Llorente played in place of both Tevez and Morata. You are saying that Dybala would only play when Tevez isn't
    And that's because we didn't have anyone else to choose from in the 1st half of the season. Then we got Matri.

Then we won silverwear having that 4th option.

Either way you folks try to look at this, its a no brainer. RVP over Zaza any day of the week.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    Wat? How can you use my argument of signing RVP and then use it on Borriello which is nothing close to RVP.
    That argument was basically "we've got so much money from the CL that we can afford to give players high wages".

Which isn't a very good argument in my opinion.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
    Jun 1, 2012
    Why wouldnt RVP work out?

The injury myth has already been dispelled.

RVP's quality is still better than most forwards in Serie A.Some srs underrating going on here just because he's old.

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    some say roma and nazio denied wanting him. Others say nipples have their players do their medicals in Rome. Don't know how true that is. :boh:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)