Roberto Baggio (2 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
zZ[-_-]Zz;1385178 said:
but you still haven't answered if Dida winnin' 2 CLs makes him better than Buffon... and Gilardino winnin' the WC made him as good as Del Piero...
Obviously it could be just a fluke. However, Del Piero has won so much and has scored so many goals, you're alluding to a false analogy here. Perhaps Baggio was more talented, but Del Piero certainly became the bigger player.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I go with Del Piero only because he was a team player while Baggio wanted all the fame for himself and he always enjoyed the one man team role.

Noone can doubt his genious, but Baggio was so selfish and he didn't want to share anything with another star that it hurt the team only.
Look at how much did Juve win with Baggio and how much after Del Piero took over his role. Look at how many cl finals in a row, how many scudetti in a row did Milan win and how dominant they were with Savicevic <while Baggio was in Juve> and how they started choking when Baggio became the star of the team.

And then, in his later years, when he wasnt capable anymore to lead a great team, he didnt want to accept the team player role, like Nedved, Del Piero and the likes do in ther final years, but he again wanted to be the star and he started playing for mickey mouse teams like Bologna and Brescia.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I go with Del Piero only because he was a team player while Baggio wanted all the fame for himself and he always enjoyed the one man team role.

Noone can doubt his genious, but Baggio was so selfish and he didn't want to share anything with another star that it hurt the team only.
Look at how much did Juve win with Baggio and how much after Del Piero took over his role. Look at how many cl finals in a row, how many scudetti in a row did Milan win and how dominant they were with Savicevic <while Baggio was in Juve> and how they started choking when Baggio became the star of the team.

And then, in his later years, when he wasnt capable anymore to lead a great team, he didnt want to accept the team player role, like Nedved, Del Piero and the likes do in ther final years, but he again wanted to be the star and he started playing for mickey mouse teams like Bologna and Brescia.
All true.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003

Nedved till this day is not a squad player, and i dont think he will be. When that time comes he will retire. So i guess we will never know in his case.

And we will see when that happens to Alex, will he accept it or not. I reckon he will though.

About Baggio and his selfishness, well that goes for all the great players and sometimes you see that with Alex in his play not personality. Maradona was like that as well to a certain extent.

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
i think people are getting a bit confused of what we are talking about here. we are not saying who is the bigger juventus symbol, because that is clearly del piero.
his personality, and class off the field is something that we should all aspire too, to go along with his good football skills, and leadership qualities.

but we are saying who is/was the better player, and for me, and most football lovers, Baggio takes the cake.

The only ones who try and think otherwise are these diehard delpiero fans who are some of the most hard-deaded tifosi i have ever met, or spoke with.
its a shame that a talented footballer like del piero has people like this on his side.

and its also a shame that these two legends of the game will always be bad mouthed by the other pig headed fans.

maykir

Jan 16, 2008
Sorry for possible offtop. Does anybody know why Baggio left Juve? I know may rumors about that.Here in Russia, I can't find any approvals or dissaprovals for them. Some people told me that Baggio left Juve because of Angeli's girlfriends or wife jealousy.Other people blamed Lippi. Even I read some information, that new Juve managers ( Moggi, Bonniperti and Bettega) wanted to sell him, because of his injuries and missed penalty in WC. But I never read official statements about reasons why Baggio left Juve. Can anybody help me?

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
As far as i know,Lippi wasnt a huge Baggio fan.Add the fact that Del Piero was showing a lot of promise at the time,and it falls into place.Baggio was sold to accomodate the rise of Del Piero.Ive never heard anything about Agnelli's girlfriend or the missed penalty.When Lippi took over at Inter,Baggio once again came under the axe.I think it was Lippi's prefrence more than anything else that resulted in Baggio's sale.But then again,Baggio never wanted a move to Juventus in the first place,so it was kinda obvious that he would be sold at some stage.He wanted a move to Milan when he was at Fiorenina,and he finally got the chance to play for them when his Juventus career was coming to an end,and understandbly,he didnt say no.

maykir

Jan 16, 2008
Salman,thank you very much for your answer. But Baggio told, that during his career in Juve he had no problems with Lippi.Problems between them appeared when they both were in Inter.In addition to this, I read in some russian sources, that Agnelli was too disappointed by Baggio's results in 94's WC. Even he called Baggio "a pissed off rabbit".( sorry for possible incorrect translation from Russian). So at first Agnelli wanted to sell Baggio in summer 94, but finally he decided to wait till next summer. I can't explain even to myself,why people consider Del Piero and Baggio to be equal in 94-95. For me, Baggio was a well skilled leader, not only "fantasista" in 94-95. Del Piero was a promising young player,skillfully assisted by Vialli, Ravanelly, Conte and other great players. I only want to say, that Del Piero wasn't a real substitute for Baggio in 94-95. Fortunately, Juve was able to win many troffies without Baggio. But if Baggio was still in Juve, would Juve win more CL cups? I think probably yes, despite of missed Baggio's penalty. In 4 Juve's CL finals, IMHO Juve missed strong leadreship and creativity of Baggio. Please, don't get me wrong, I'm not a diehard fan of Baggio and I respect Del Piero too. But my heart belongs to Baggio.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
For starters,what i posted above was my understanding of the whole thing.It could be wrong,but you're welcome nevertheless.I think ive read/heard on more than one occasion that Lippi and Baggio had differences.You could be right when you say that those differences could have been at their peak when both of them were at Inter.Juventus might have just been a breeding ground for those differences.Anyway,im a bigger fan of Baggio than i am of Del Piero.Always was,and always will be.Baggio got me into Juventus in the first place.But the issue about winning more CLs with Baggio is debatable.If im not wrong,Baggio was 29 when he was sold to Milan.He was nearing 30,and it made sense to develop a younger Del Piero at the time.I would have liked it had both Del Piero and Baggio co-existed at the club for a longer time,but when you look at what Del Piero achievied at the club,you have to say that maybe selling Baggio at the time was the right decision.Del Piero might not have developed the way he did eventually had Baggio been at Juventus for a longer period.

maykir

Jan 16, 2008
Thanks,Salman.I've got your point of view.But I think that Baggio was sold to Milan against his will.Bosses of Juve tried to cut his salary and he had no choice to stay in Juve.He even said, that his time in Turin came to its end and he didn't deserve such attitude from his club.For me their decision to get rid from Baggio was unhonest and disrespectful.Baggio was thrown out like an old and worn out glove.Maybe, that attitude of his former club insulted him much and he still feels pain after many years. I think in that way, because I've never read any good memories from Baggio about his time in Juve.Even Davids likes to remember his time in Juve, except troubles with Moggi.But no comments from Baggio about his carrer in Juve.As for Del Piero, I have stopped paying any attention to him after his poor playing in 98's WC. He dissapointed me much. Also I remember his ability to slow down, break and even spoil Juve's attack in last 4 years, except this season.I think Del Piero is the most overrated player that Baggio.But I respect him for his playing in 94-98 years and consider him to be true Juve's legend and great symbol of modern Juve.Even more, I see no real substute for Del Piero now. I like Del Piero but mostly for his great past.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Not really. In fact I started supporting Juventus (and Italy) because of Roberto Baggio. What I do hate however is Baggio fans looking down on Del Piero. Though the latter has had, quite obviously, a much more succesful career and has scored IMHO better goals than Baggio ever did.

maykir

Jan 16, 2008
Seven! You blamed Baggio of missing a spot kick in WC final 94.I'd like to remind you 3 facts about this:1. Baggio was badly injured before that final match and it was a Sacci's wrong decision to let Baggio play in the final.His injury troubled him much in the final, he even wasted a lucky chance to hit Taffarel's side after Donadoni's or Albertinis's( mayby I'm wrong) pass.2.Massaro and Baresi missed their spot kicks in that final.But noone blames their for that.
3. Baggio is still one of the great masters of spot kicks in Serie A ( 24 of 27).

In addition to this, I like Baggio's strong will anf great spirit.Some russian fans consider him to be "a high payed prostitute".It is a wrong oppinion, because Fiorentina's and Juve's managers sold him againts his will fooling fans and making Baggio look like only money-oriented "soldier of fortune" without soul and any preferences.
Unfortunately,I have started to look over Baggio's career since WC 94. I saw only his last year in Juve 94-95.But he shone very brightly.After his moving to Milan, Baggio was still in my heart.It is hard to forget his magical attacking duo with George Weah.When he left Milan for small clubs and even for Inter, I stopped watching his playing.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That's great.

Now read my post again. I didn't blame Baggio. I said he missed a spot kick in the final, whereas Del Piero didn't. Unless you can prove me otherwise, I'm not interested in your post.

maykir

Jan 16, 2008
Does enybody know why Baggio refused to accept an offer from Juve's management to be their sport director ( maybe I'm wrong with this job title)?Why is he still in touch with Inter's player like Zanetti and Cambiasso but not in touch with Juve players or ex-players?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Del Piero is the greatest player Juventus ever had, oh and we're talking about Juventus here, the greatest team of all time (well one of the greatest). So what Baggio won the Balon D'or, I prefer Ale's persistency... to one season where Baggio had been lucky to not have any competition, don't forget that DP's best years were also Zidane and Ronaldo's best years and that huge injury of course etc etc.

oh and of course he didn't miss the penalty in WC final *cough* :D

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Does enybody know why Baggio refused to accept an offer from Juve's management to be their sport director ( maybe I'm wrong with this job title)?Why is he still in touch with Inter's player like Zanetti and Cambiasso but not in touch with Juve players or ex-players?
Baggio does go to Argentina to hunt when he relaxing so maybe thats where he got to know these guys.

I doubt if its an Inter connection but i may be wrong and as for the job i am not sure Baggio wants to come back to football and I dont know if he was offered that role for real.

Posters like Mate would have a much better idea that i do as regards what Baggio is currently up to.

Does he not have a website where you can post your questions as regards baggio?

I seem to remember baggio being offered 800k to stay from the 1.3M he was on and he refused.

Our management at the time being the modicum of humanity that they are decided to turn Juve fans against baggio and every time he returned he was booed.

One of the most despicable things that I endured as a fan was to see baggio booed by misinformed fans

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)