Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
England undone by Danes
Wednesday, 17 August 2005

By Peter Bruun

Denmark 4-1 England
England suffered their heaviest defeat since losing 4-1 against Wales in 1980, as Denmark swept Sven-Göran Eriksson's team aside by the same scoreline in Copenhagen.

Goal glut
Three goals in seven second-half minutes did the damage, after an even opening period. Denmark took the lead on the hour when David James, a second-half substitute for regular starter Paul Robinson, rushed out of his goal only to be rounded by Jon Dahl Tomasson, who squared the ball for Dennis Rommedahl to tap in.

Danish delight
Rommedahl's strike was the catalyst for Denmark to turn on the style and they added to their score three minutes later when Claus Jensen laid a ball across the face of goal for Tomasson to add his name to the scoresheet. A stunned England conceded a third on 67 minutes when defender Michael Gravgaard demonstrated his aerial prowess to head in from a corner.

Rooney consolation
Morten Olsen's side controlled the majority of the second period, though the FIFA World Cup qualifying Group 6 leaders did pull a goal back with their first opening of the half when Wayne Rooney latched on to David Beckham's through ball to score with just three minutes remaining.

Turkish test
However, Denmark deservedly had the last word when Søren Larsen slid the ball past James in added time for the home side's fourth goal of the evening to leave them full of confidence ahead of their crucial qualifier with Turkey on 3 September.

:rofl: This has made my day. "Oh England are gonna win the World Cup no doubt"

Jul 19, 2003
Portugal beat Egypt 2-0...oh well, we had it coming with that coach. I don't like his a$$...fielding 3 strikers and 3 defensive midfielders...WTF is up with that. Who's creating chances then? Changes came on too late. For one of the hardest working players, Mido looked like he didn't give a rat's ass...injury fears or something?

Oh **** it...I'll never see us in the WC. :(

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
Portugal beat Egypt 2-0...oh well, we had it coming with that coach. I don't like his a$$...fielding 3 strikers and 3 defensive midfielders...WTF is up with that. Who's creating chances then? Changes came on too late. For one of the hardest working players, Mido looked like he didn't give a rat's ass...injury fears or something?

Aahh for fuck's sake :(

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++

I thought the game was closer than the scoreline indicated. A few hits of the bar. Some well-positioned defensive headers that saved the Portuguese backline. Of course, Portugal blew a number of 1-on-1 chances in Egypt's end too. But I could have seen Egypt pulling the upset.

What surprised me was that Portugal didn't start with Ricardo Queresma in place of Cristiano Ronaldo. And it was surprising for me to see Paolo Ferreira perhaps play one of his best NT matches (he's normally been worthless, IMO).

Kind of cool seeing the match at Ponta Delgada in São Miguel -- where Pauleta grew up.

I wasn't familiar with Egypt's coach until this match, though. Man, what a sour face on that guy. He looks like he's been living a pretty hard life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)