riquelme-tiago swap deal? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I took the liberty of showing you stats of that season and take a close look at games started compared to the amount of games Tiago played for Chelsea that seasonhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_F.C._2004-2005
Okay... so that means Tiago started between 22 and 31 matches in the Premiership that season. With Parker only receiving four appearances and Makelele and Lampard playing every match, that means Tiago was third choice midfielder behind those said players and started a majority of the matches under Mourinho in the Prem that season.

Therefore, it's obvious that Mourinho had confidence in Tiago and thought he was valuable when wanting to deploy the 4-3-3. As you can recall, sometimes Mourinho used only two central midfielders during that season, and I bet you know who.

It doesn't really matter if people think highly or not of Tiago. I don't mind if people think he's rubbish. But please do not waltz around here claiming Mourinho had no use for Tiago or stating things that are obviously not facts. And that last statement was directed more towards other people, denco.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Edge

Jun 14, 2004
Riquelme is what we lacking, we have Nocerino and Marchisio (next season) who can do what Tiago can do. Its all about giving us the best options for every position, and why do we need to build the team around Riquelme ? Hell, I prefer him warming our bench than Tiago, at least he can come up do something special when we are fighting for win.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Regardless, he wasn't good enough to keep his place in the team.

SO he lost his position to a beter player and suddenly he is shit?

So if say we had Eto'o in our team and Trez lost his position to him does that make him shit then?

Mar 30, 2006
Riquelme is a thousand times the player Tiago is.

Thats all there is to it. If we had never been linked with Tiago no one would have mentioned his name.

But Riquelme is one of the best attacking mids in the world and one of the few we have a chance of getting.

We would be stupid to not do all we can to get Riquelme.... whether it involves losing Tiago or not. He does not play anyway so why do ppl care how much money we wasted on him over the summer.... it is done. Ranieri does not want to play him so we should be happy if a player comes who will play and will help us win games.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Ranieri seems to like the straight 4-4-2 and the 4-3-3. If he decides to place Riquelme in the midfield of the former or the midfield of the latter, we are DONE.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Okay... so that means Tiago started between 22 and 31 matches in the Premiership that season. With Parker only receiving four appearances and Makelele and Lampard playing every match, that means Tiago was third choice midfielder behind those said players and started a majority of the matches under Mourinho in the Prem that season.

Therefore, it's obvious that Mourinho had confidence in Tiago and thought he was valuable when wanting to deploy the 4-3-3. As you can recall, sometimes Mourinho used only two central midfielders during that season, and I bet you know who.

It doesn't really matter if people think highly or not of Tiago. I don't mind if people think he's rubbish. But please do not waltz around here claiming Mourinho had no use for Tiago or stating things that are obviously not facts. And that last statement was directed more towards other people, denco.
I guess that depends on how you want to interpret the stats.

I could for instance say that he came on for a sub in 20 matches (thats a helluva lot for a supposed starter as some ppl were trying to convince me that he was at Chelsea)

I could also interpret it that he was like Ferreira, thought to be better than they actually are by Mourinho and he started them in a lot of games initially but then realised he was not as good as the player Mourinho thought he was at Union Leira and Benfica and the step in class was perhaps too much for Tiago.

It is all down to interpretation and who is to say who is right or who is wrong.

I am not sure I understand you when you say we would be screwed if Riquelme is played in a 4-3-3

If you had a formation of Nedved-Nocerino-Camoranesi in midfield and Riquelme-Dp-Trez in attack with all the other options of Almiron, Zanetti, Tiago, Iaquinta, Palladino and Marchionni, it does not look so bad.

I would like to think that Juventus with their way of thinking and playing are more mentally suited to adapt more than Argentina and Villareal once Riquelme goes walkabout.

There is nothing in the rulebook that says Riquelme cannot be dropped or subbed.

I am glad you mentioned Copa America, I had written about this particular topic before as I am/was amazed people were surprised Brazil beat Argentina because Brazil always do in competitive matches as Argentina seem to have a mental block when it comes to Brazil no matter which team is on better form

Like France dominating Italy; Germany in yesteryear always used to beat France but lose to Holland except for 1 huge final where West Germany won and Italia 90, Holland used to get the better of their matches.

Back to Tiago, he does deserve at least a chance to prove whether he is a good or bad buy for Juventus as he has been treated shabbily

On a side-note I saw Veloso last night against Roma and though he played at centreback, he was excellent

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
In a way that justifies what I'm saying. He offers less than Lampard on the attacking end and much less than Essien on the defensive side. He's average. He doesn't have any glaring weaknesses but at the same time he doesn't have any vital strengths. Andy tries to convince me that his strength is not having anything wrong with his game but imo what it all comes down to is him being an average player who will succeed in certain situations. In a three man midfield which consists of him, Makelele and Lampard or him, Diarra and Juninho, he will succeed. In a two man midfield with Zanetti or Nocerino, I'm not so sure. Riquelme on the other hand could make a big difference to this team as we look lackluster and out of ideas when going forward. Riquelme will help us keep the ball and do more with it.
Lampard is one of the best CM's attacking wise and Essien is one of the best CM's in the tackle..only Vieira and Gattuso can claim better IMO.

narchi

Jul 2, 2006
The "Fat Frank" thing is a joke, & if you cant see that, you probably dont know much about humour and you must be blind
On this form there is too many people who think that Lampard is not good enough for juve. And I realy can't understand that. We don't have a better CM in our squad, and I think that we also can't find 3 better CM in Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)