riquelme-tiago swap deal? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
no way he'd come to Italy, same as Englands other players, with his Catalan WAG he may go to Barca, no chance of him being in Juve
yeah I know. Still though it would be nice if we could get him. People are always on his back but I think he's absolute quality.

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
no way he'd come to Italy, same as Englands other players, with his Catalan WAG he may go to Barca, no chance of him being in Juve
That depends on a few factors:

Who does he want to play for? Rijkaard, Grant, Schuster, Mancini or Ranieri?
-Seeing as the Tinkerman made him a star, he might want to come as a favor to his coach. Of course, if one of the Milans score Mourinho... that changes a lot too.

Who wants him? Barca is overloaded with mids, so that's the Catalan connection. Aside from there its a fair fight between Inter and Juve (the only two teams I see aggressively pursuing him that can bid high enough). Milan, Liverpool, Man U are pretty set in midfield... the latter spending a huge amount of money on theirs this offseason. Arsenal would be a darkhorse, but I don't think he's Wenger's kind of player. Real just bought Robben and Sneijder, so I don't see them in the hunt either.

Who needs him? Inter is in first and will likely win Serie A. Unless they feel their midfield can't cut CL, they won't be in any hurry to sign Lampard. AC Milan could definitely use something, but do they really want to shake up their central midfield that already boasts Kaka (I know he's played almost as a forward), Pirlo and Gattuso? Doubt it. Juventus is recovering from Serie B purgatory and has a gaping hole where Lampard would fit like a glove. Barca has Deco, Iniesta and Xavi as inner mids. Unless they release one of them to the market (which would be sweet), they don't make a Lampard move.

Therefore, if Lampard is actually wanting out of Stamford Bridge... Juventus and Inter are the front runners. I think the Ranieri factor clinches it one way or the other.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
I will now start to accept this trade/swap as a real possibility...
It seems that we bought Tiago for more money than Riquelme's asking price,
it was proved to be a bad choice for more than one reasons,
but it was a tactical choice too and the choice is already made, we cant change it now.
We have 4-5 wingers and 4 DMs, we are bound to play the 4-4-2 system, we cannot change our scheme for Riquelme only, as the only player that would effectively replace him would be Olivera...
Riquelme CANNOT be effective as a winger because he is too slow for that role,
a good winger MUST be fast. We cannot change our whole team in January, i dont think this trade will happen now (it could happen at summer though...)
Right we defend with 4 defenders and 2 midfielders and we attack, with 2 midfielders and 2 attackers. Our team is balanced and our subs are selected for this, we cannot switch to Riquelme mode just like that...

If we do though, we should use him, exactly as Milan uses Kaka, but that would be a waste of wingers... Riquelme is not fast, but if he is positioned in the midfield and have a playmaker role, our team would work more fluidly and effective in the midfield, Il calcio, isnt exactly the most "speedy" championship of the world,
team and esp Juve develop their game slowly but steadily and Riquelme is the right man for this job, i m confident that Almiron,Zanetti and Nocerino can do the defensive work Pirlo,Seedorf and Gattuso do,
for Milan (well not quite the same;-) )
a 4-3-1-2 would make sense, Palla,Camo and Neddy could possibly replace Riquelme if needed or even replace one of the 3 DMs, esp the later two can defend as good as Pirlo does.
CR is crazy enough to try that, our management ask for more entertainment = attacking football, Tiago is bound to leave us, his price has significally dropped,
=> that swap could actually happen as long as 2 of Camo,Marchio,Salih and Neddy are out of order/injured/suspended that wont be a problem...

My safe bet would be that we will keep the 2 wingers and 2 DMs scheme though,
most probably Tiago will be replaced with someone like G.Silva...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It would be quite an inane decision to sell Tiago before even seeing what he can do, but I expect such imbecilic behavior by this board and perhaps even Ranieri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)