Riccardo Calafiori - D LC - Bologna (6 Viewers)

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
I recently started paying attention to this player due to fantacalcio and I like what I see. Young, hamsum with some football skills.

On a serious note, he has developed a lot lately. He's a physically imposing defender with good pace. What's more, he is very comfortable with the ball and doesn't panic under pressure. He can effectively initiate an attack be it with a direct forward pass or a run with the ball.

I believe he would be an excellent LCB or CB with the possibility to cover both LWB and LB if needed.

I think he's better than Gatti and has a higher ceiling.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Sounds a bit like Chiellini's positional trajectory.

Not really archetype wise. Before Bologna loan, few times seen this kid he seemed like a really fast natural wingback fullback type. Seeing him for first time then you wouldn't guessed at all this is a future CB.

While a young Chiellini allways felt misplaced as LB, too gangly and awkward, pure defensive only and ball was ticking bomb under his feet. Felt like a placeholder position they put him on while they waiting for space to open up for CB. Felt like his destination all along (kinda like first time I saw Nesta he was RB lol, same with Puyol and Ramos for years).

Basically it's really good versatility by this kid to transition to a CB this well in his young age already. Even if its a wide CB under a super attacking tiki taka coach like Thiago Motta.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
Not really archetype wise. Before Bologna loan, few times seen this kid he seemed like a really fast natural wingback fullback type. Seeing him for first time then you wouldn't guessed at all this is a future CB.

While a young Chiellini allways felt misplaced as LB, too gangly and awkward, pure defensive only and ball was ticking bomb under his feet. Felt like a placeholder position they put him on while they waiting for space to open up for CB. Felt like his destination all along (kinda like first time I saw Nesta he was RB lol, same with Puyol and Ramos for years).

Basically it's really good versatility by this kid to transition to a CB this well in his young age already. Even if its a wide CB under a super attacking tiki taka coach like Thiago Motta.
I think in the 90ies full back position was much more about defending than it is nowadays. You could add players like Maldini or Thuram to those you already mentioned.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Cheekbones like Maldini.

Buy.

more pronounced cheekbones than Elizabeth ‘Cherokee’ Warren.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I recently started paying attention to this player due to fantacalcio and I like what I see. Young, hamsum with some football skills.

On a serious note, he has developed a lot lately. He's a physically imposing defender with good pace. What's more, he is very comfortable with the ball and doesn't panic under pressure. He can effectively initiate an attack be it with a direct forward pass or a run with the ball.

I believe he would be an excellent LCB or CB with the possibility to cover both LWB and LB if needed.

It's not hard to be better than Gatti, who is nothing special in my book. Gatti is a very very poor man's Torricelli.

I do agree though that Richard Guy Fieri looks a very interesting prospect.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011

I like Gatti but let's face it; he simply is not good enough to stay at Juve for much longer.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
I like Danilo too. Especially as a RCB. As you said, if we have to play 3 at the back, we should get one quality defender for LCB to play with Danilo and Bremer. Calafiori seems to be a good option.

I don't know what to think of Djalo and Huijsen. For now I say that together with Gatti they should be good enough to challenge the three aforementioned players for the playing time. Danilo will be 33 this year so one starting spot should become available sooner rather than later.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
I wouldn't necessarily agree. He's not good enough to start every game, that's for sure. However, I don't mind him being a rotational player.
Oow, I don't mind that at all but we already have Rugani, Djalo and Huijsen for that with Facundo in the waiting room. Doubt he'd be happy with that and we might even go to a 2-man center back system...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)