Retard Church Plans Quran Burn (1 Viewer)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I was surfing their fb page and it seems there's a good number of atheists involved in this too. Just thought you should know you guys are well represented in this :D
I wanted to reply to Gamaro previously when he mentioned atheists as some group, but you can't really discuss anything with that dude so I think my question will be taken more seriously if I talk with you and reply to you.

I'm not religious. Dunno if that thing makes me an atheist. I don't believe in God(s) so technically that makes me an atheist.
But I never felt a bond between me and another atheist that will make me feel like we belong to some group. You know, the way there is some kind of bond between two Muslims or two Juve fans. I never felt that bond between me and someone else who isn't religious. To me an atheist is the same as a theist. Just a guy I agree with regarding one thing, the same way I agree with the theist in another thing. I feel the same connection with an atheist the way I feel a connection with another guy who, just like me, thinks that Cesena won't win serie A.

But many times I see people putting atheists in the same group. Like "us" and "them" or "We did it, but the atheists did it too" or something similar.

Isn't that wrong?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I wanted to reply to Gamaro previously when he mentioned atheists as some group, but you can't really discuss anything with that dude so I think my question will be taken more seriously if I talk with you and reply to you.

I'm not religious. Dunno if that thing makes me an atheist. I don't believe in God(s) so technically that makes me an atheist.
But I never felt a bond between me and another atheist that will make me feel like we belong to some group. You know, the way there is some kind of bond between two Muslims or two Juve fans. I never felt that bond between me and someone else who isn't religious. To me an atheist is the same as a theist. Just a guy I agree with regarding one thing, the same way I agree with the theist in another thing. I feel the same connection with an atheist the way I feel a connection with another guy who, just like me, thinks that Cesena won't win serie A.

But many times I see people putting atheists in the same group. Like "us" and "them" or "We did it, but the atheists did it too" or something similar.

Isn't that wrong?
I guess they think that if they see themselves as a tribe that must mean that atheist have a tribe mentality too. A group basically needs a competing group in order to rally together, all part of the ancient human psychology.

Atheists are no more a group than "people who don't follow Serie A" are a group.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Isn't that wrong?
Its also wrong to lump all muslims in one group, or all christians in one group.

The fact that a bunch of ignorant christians in some town in the United States want to burn the Koran, does not make all Christians ignorant, or all christians intolerant. These Christians are individually responsible for their acts. Other christians, should not be lumped together with them in one group and be declared as ignorants too.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Its also wrong to lump all muslims in one group, or all christians in one group.

The fact that a bunch of ignorant christians in some town in the United States want to burn the Koran, does not make all Christians ignorant, or all christians intolerant. These Christians are individually responsible for their acts. Other christians, should not be lumped together with them in one group and be declared as ignorants too.
No, you misunderstood my question Fred.

I mean it more like this.....A Christian from the USA sees two people. One a Muslim and another one a Christian. That US Christian guy will immediately feel the other Christian closer to him and as one of his own.
If I see two guys, one of which I know is an atheist and the other one a Christian, I don't feel the atheist as someone closer to me than the Christian.
But things are different if I see two guys, one of which wears a Juve jersey and the other one a Liverpool jersey. Even without knowing them at all, the one I will initially like more will be the guy with the Juve jersey (which might later change, but at first he will have my sympathies)

P.S: What I'm saying is that I will feel like I belong to the same group with another Croat or another Juve fan. But I don't feel that I belong in the same group with another atheist.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

I mean it more like this.....A Christian from the USA sees two people. One a Muslim and another one a Christian. That US Christian guy will immediately feel the other Christian closer to him and as one of his own.
If I see two guys, one of which I know is an atheist and the other one a Christian, I don't feel the atheist as someone closer to me than the Christian.
But things are different if I see two guys, one of which wears a Juve jersey and the other one a Liverpool jersey. Even without knowing them at all, the one I will initially like more will be the guy with the Juve jersey (which might later change, but at first he will have my sympathies)

P.S: What I'm saying is that I will feel like I belong to the same group with another Croat or another Juve fan. But I don't feel that I belong in the same group with another atheist.
how about an atheist who followed the same logic and observes the same conclusions? atheist should be compared to a theist not a grouping within the theists.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

I didn't misunderstand you. I wasn't comparing the two, i was just saying that Atheists lump religious people into one group too. That was a response to you saying that religious people categorize see themselves in groups. Atheists see us as groups too(ie its not just our "tribal" way of thinking as Martin would put it).

As for the bolded part. Questionable. I'm not saying you're lying, i'm saying you might not notice it but you probably do.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Its part of brotherhood, when theres nothing to believe in, to take serious in, to believe strongly in, to be passionate and enthusiast about, then your bound to feel that way. Lets put it this way, for example with you being an athiest and lets say one of few living in a muslim country, outnumbered and not seen or met hardly any athiests.. youd feel a belonging with these athiests. Thats not to say its the same with religion. Religions are taught about brotherhood unity etc from the start, it really does depend how you see it from the other side.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I didn't misunderstand you. I wasn't comparing the two, i was just saying that Atheists lump religious people into one group too. That was a response to you saying that religious people categorize see themselves in groups. Atheists see us as groups too(ie its not just our "tribal" way of thinking as Martin would put it).

As for the bolded part. Questionable. I'm not saying you're lying, i'm saying you might not notice it but you probably do.
It's clearly the case that so called religious people (at least people nominally religious by how they define themselves, what they actually believe is another matter) are in no way all the same or something.

Nevertheless, there is a huge impulse in organized religion to be a tribe, to see other members as your "brothers" and so on. Christians have that, Muslims have that, Jews maybe even more.

So to the extent that someone is closer to the church he is more likely to say things that imply how all the members of his religion are a tribe. Doesn't mean they all feel part of it, but at least the propaganda is very much in place.

For this there is no counterpart among atheists.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
It's not questionable, because it happened.

Even if it comes to picking the atheist ahead of the Christian, it will come after many other things.

Say a friend of mine is seating in some bar with Tahir and Aaron. I don't know them. Tahir wears a Juve jersey and Aaron an "I'm an atheist jersey". They introduce themselves to me and I notice that Tahir is a Muslim.
I don't know them, but you can be sure that the one I'll start talking with will be Tahir. Because there is something that initially attracts me and that's the Juve jersey.
If Tahir wears an "I'm a Muslim" t-shirt then Aaron won't be the one I'll talk first just because he's an atheist. They'll be the same to me at first.

Actually, I'll see both of them as weirdos :D

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Oh, or say, a Bosnian Muslim and a Australian atheist.
The Bosnian dude will be the one I'll talk to first. The language connects us.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Oh, or say, a Bosnian Muslim and a Australian atheist.
The Bosnian dude will be the one I'll talk to first. The language connects us.
Well then won't it be the same with me. If i see a Christian Arab and an Indonesian Muslim, do you think i'd feel more attracted to talk to the Muslim?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
You must be in Europe, where emasculated religion is king.
As a European, I can say honestly that fully half of the religious nuts I've ever met have been American. Most of the rest have been Irish. American churches just seem to be bigger on the whole evangelicalism thing.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
As a European, I can say honestly that fully half of the religious nuts I've ever met have been American. Most of the rest have been Irish. American churches just seem to be bigger on the whole evangelicalism thing.
Don't discount the Africans and Asians. The Pope sez they're a growth market even...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)