Referee Communication (1 Viewer)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Here is a thought that I've had many times during international and CL matches.

If the 2 teams on the pitch are from different speaking countries, and the referee is from another country, who's homeland language isnt one of the 2 teams languages, what do they do ??

Does FIFA try to arrange referees' who can speak the same languages as the 2 teams playing each another ????

One example was the Turkey vs. England game this weekend which Collina refereed. I hear that he can speak english, but Turkish too ???

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Well all referees and most players speak English, so it shouldnt be a big problem. Anyways, sometimes body language is more important ;)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
English is used as a working language and every captain of every team is expected to have basic knowledge of the language. That goes for referees as well.

There are of course some exceptions. When Holland face Belgium and the referee is from Luxembourg, they language used will probably be Dutch. With Germany vs Austria and a Dutch referee, the language will probably be German.

Those are, however, unofficial agreements which the referee and the captains will discuss prior to the match. During the flipping of the coin for example.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Good question...

I've always wondered this myself, and during the WC I was LMAO whenever I saw the Korean players speak their limited English. Whenever they talked to the ref, the only word I saw them use was "Why?" Why?" :LOL:

++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

Those are, however, unofficial agreements which the referee and the captains will discuss prior to the match. During the flipping of the coin for example.
What language do they discuss in? :p

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
To be an international referee ( or referee who participate in matches outside his country) you must pass English as one of exams, this is a must.

Erik is rigth about capitains of teams: they are expected to know basic English.

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

I've always wondered this myself, and during the WC I was LMAO whenever I saw the Korean players speak their limited English. Whenever they talked to the ref, the only word I saw them use was "Why?" Why?" :LOL:
Yes... they said "why? why?" and then slipped a couple of 100 dollar bills in his pocket ;) :p

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Kaliman ] ++

Yes... they said "why? why?" and then slipped a couple of 100 dollar bills in his pocket ;) :p
haha, of course. they were probably telling moreno "we will pay to win"

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
Erik is rigth about capitains of teams: they are expected to know basic English.
Beckham too? :redface:

Sorry, cheap shot but it was so tempting ;)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Shirt pulling ;)

I thought it was a goal aswell, i was pretty heartbroken...

Baraja's goal was disallowed for pushing in the box

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
gray, I saw the most ludicrous "evidence" from some Korea source to explain why that Spanish goal from Joaquin's assist was rightly ruled out back then. Something about how the pass from the endline is logically curved outwards on its way to the box, which was really quite insane under the circumstances and having seen Joaquin's feet in the replays. :LOL:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Hrmm I wish I saw that one...

So they were claiming that the ball went out? That was the initial claim, but the referee later said that there was a foul, and the replays seemed to agree ;) The ball was in by a mile :howler: AFAIK, I think the Korean players stopped playing anyway, before Helguera headed it in, because they heard the whistle... I think

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

Beckham too? :redface:

Sorry, cheap shot but it was so tempting ;)
Beckham's English is the best:

Ith going to be difficol, the thouth afwicanth a a gud team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)