• Panucci (Roma)

• Torosidis (Olympiakos)

• Fucile (Porto)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
I am sure I'll get crucified for saying this, but do you guys really think we need another RB (even if they can cover CB)? I mean that's one of our deepest positions, and nobody who plays it is really bad at defense. In fact if anything, under ideal conditions, they should not have to play much offense as we have Camo there for that. I am just saying. You can always upgrade, but our RB position is pretty good. All they have to do is to play in better form, because all of them have talent for defending - which was the primary concern going into the season.
Other than grygera, there's little cover for the RB position. We should get rid of zebina, and get a prospect; RBs and LBs are rare these times, especially those we are looking for (going forward, making crosses, ...) and it would make no sense to spend a shitload of money for anyone, because i think grygera does the job very good atm. But we have to consider that if he's out, then we have no real alternative. (i consider mellberg more of a CB, could be wrong though)

I think we should try to get someone young, someone who's ok with being benched for 1 or 2 seasons and affordable!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
Other than grygera, there's little cover for the RB position. We should get rid of zebina, and get a prospect; RBs and LBs are rare these times, especially those we are looking for (going forward, making crosses, ...) and it would make no sense to spend a shitload of money for anyone, because i think grygera does the job very good atm. But we have to consider that if he's out, then we have no real alternative. (i consider mellberg more of a CB, could be wrong though)

I think we should try to get someone young, someone who's ok with being benched for 1 or 2 seasons and affordable!
That sounds like a Marco Motta who is like 6 and 8 yrs younger than both Grygera and Zebina ...

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
That sounds like a Marco Motta who is like 6 and 8 yrs younger than both Grygera and Zebina ...
Exactly. I think someone like Motta, De Silvestri or Dessena (not quite sure if he's more a CB than a RB) would be the perfect thing! They're used to Serie A, which is VERY important for a defender, and they're perfect long-term solutions. I know that for example de silvestri is not having his best season, but his abilities are obvious. It's important to get those players on 'rare' positions early!

They are the players you can put on the pitch without having a heart-attack every time the ball comes near to their area (knezevic...) and they should be willing to accept the sub-role for some time...

As for their pricing, they may be a little expensive at first sight, but we have to consider that they're not going to become any cheaper, and that someone like grygera won't go on forever playing CL, serie a, coppa and whatnot without any rest. It's difficult to put a price tag on those players, but i think they're worth some financial effort.

I'm not too worried about LB. And that has nothing to do with molinaro's game yesterday. I think we are pretty well covered there. De Ceglie can always play LB, in case it's needed and we have criscito, who's a regular for genoa at the moment, and who's performing pretty good also.

Sidindi

Jan 18, 2008

not to get stuck on technicalities, but Zebina and Salihamidzic can both play RB. I agree with you that Mellberg is more of a CB, but he could be used there. As for LB, if we really get hammered with injuries, we can use Chiellini there or Salihamidzic. I know they are not ideal, but they can play there. We seem to be OK on defense, I just wish they played better together. Maybe its just that we were unfortunate and paid for their isolated lapses, but I still think defense is well covered and decently deep in every position.

My biggest problem with the squad is, that I cannot put a finger on what's missing. I know we have had some quite successful games, but we have conceded bad goals early on that might cost us the scudetto eventually, and scored none. Even as injured as the team is, we seem to be able to cover every position, top to bottom effectively. And yes, building for the future is one sure way to ensure the squad goes forward, but I cannot think of people I would buy to truly impact the squad short of targets that are unrealistic (think Ronaldo, Kaka, Gerard etc.). I mean in full strength we have top attack, top wingers, very solid midfield, and capable defense with the best GK in the game. Sure its not what we were pre-calciopolli, but that team was just outrageous.

Not sure what my point is, but I just don't understand how we lose games the way we do...

Am I on crack? Polls say, no. My doctor says, yes.

Sidindi

Jan 18, 2008
One more thing to illustrate my point. Let's say we only use Italians (just for the sake of this exercise) to make the squad better. We have two of the top three Italian forwards on the squad, all midfield positions are set, and as for defense, the NT is full of people who are towards the ends of their careers. Chiellini is already a rock for the NT, but there is nobody from the NT who would be worth buying for Juve defense to make an immediate impact the same way Thuram, Cannavaro, and Zambrotta did. If anything, our defense now and in the future will be the NT feeder with Chiellini, DC, Criscito, possibly Molinaro, and for now Legrotaglie(?).

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
not to get stuck on technicalities, but Zebina and Salihamidzic can both play RB. I agree with you that Mellberg is more of a CB, but he could be used there. As for LB, if we really get hammered with injuries, we can use Chiellini there or Salihamidzic. I know they are not ideal, but they can play there. We seem to be OK on defense, I just wish they played better together. Maybe its just that we were unfortunate and paid for their isolated lapses, but I still think defense is well covered and decently deep in every position.
you are right. this was the most sensible way to strengthen our squad. we brought the depth into the team that was lacking last season. many bashed the board for that, but just think of what would have happened if we did not have those players that just fill the gap.

with this amount if injuries (and the squad from last season) we would end the season without even enterin the uefa cup.

there where times where we had to play some guys like knezevic ... in fact he had to play 3 serie a and one CL match ... what would have been without him ? would we field ariaudo for him ? would we play without really centre backs ?

same goes for the central midfielders /defensive midfielders ... you can read the moaning about ranieri just buying to much defensive midfielders, but history told us, that even with "too much" defensive midfielders we came short of them and had to play nedved in the middle because off all those injuries ... you do the math what would have happened with 2 less central midfielders ... we would have had to reorganize the whole team, probably put camo and nedved on this position and even that could not compensate for the lack of a defensive midfielder because they can add to a defensive midfielder but can not take the duty of him, because they are to attack minded.

now the depth of the squad is decent we can take a further step next sommer in adding some real quality without needing to really fill a position where we are not already covered.

Not sure what my point is, but I just don't understand how we lose games the way we do...
look at our results, we just had a bad start to the campaign, but if we keep on like this we really will be putting inter under pressure (if they get an injure to ibra).

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
i see your point; i myself don't know a (reasonable) name i'd like to have at this moment, but this doesn't mean that our squad wouldn't need further additions.

We have to look around for a nedved-replacement, and our defense is far from perfect. You're right with your explanations, but if we're looking at who can play as a sub, then we're not really settled. Of course a salihamidzic 'can' play RB or LB, but if we're aiming for CL or the scudetto, then we should point at other people. Of course chiellini could play LB, but would you really sacrifice this rock in CB-position? I'd rather play without a LB then moving chiellini :)

But i agree, there's not really a name we should be going after. The Diego, Benzema, etc signings are not relevant at this moment, that's why i said it would be the right time to get onto new talents. We don't have to look at the ita NT, because you're right that there are only very few people in the NT i'd like to have at juve, but why not take a look at the U21... The already stated Motta, De Silvestri, etc should be the one we should go for.

Sidindi

Jan 18, 2008
I suppose you're right. it still feels that this team is leaking too many points with the lineup we have. On paper, I really don't think there are a lot of squads out there that are better. On the pitch, we do struggle. Even against Milan (someone pointed it out in the game thread) we did not control the ball until Zabrotta was out.

That being said, and going back to the thread - who would add the quality at RB that we supposedly don't have?

Sidindi

Jan 18, 2008
We don't have to look at the ita NT, because you're right that there are only very few people in the NT i'd like to have at juve, but why not take a look at the U21... The already stated Motta, De Silvestri, etc should be the one we should go for.
Great point.

P.S.: I know you guys don't want to hear it, but I think we still need a better coach. The more I think the more it seems that the lack of motivation is the force keeping us from reaching potential. There have been far worse teams (especially in terms of defense) winning it all in recent memories...

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
indeed we might need a better Coach, but it is too early to say...we are firmly on track in both Serie A and the CL...let's see what happens

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
it seems that the lack of motivation is the force keeping us from reaching potential.
where do you exactly see this lack of motivation manifest ? apart from the game against inter we had great grit and motivation ... already forgot the games against real madrid ? every single player was chasing the ball and running for the sake of the team. if that is a lack of motivation, then i guess the motivation you mean can only be reached by taking drugs ^^

you don't want our players talking nonsense like maradonna or acting like our favourite life guard, do you ?

remember, this post was only made to make me laugh, not you !

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
coach change would be the single most insane thing we could do at this moment. Our power clearly is our team-work, and our work rate everyone delivers for his team mate. I don't see this lack of motivation at all. changing coach now would be just plain stupid. We'll have to see for next season, but if we keep going like now, i see no reason for a change. Especially since no alternative is available (mancini, anyone *puke*)

back to topic; RB: let's get motta/de silvestri. come on secco :D

Sidindi

Jan 18, 2008
where do you exactly see this lack of motivation manifest ?!
You don't remember two months ago? We didn't exactly excel, and besides Saturday's performance we did not play well recently. And we should given our team's make up.

But I concede the point that we seem to have turned the corner. What's disconcerning is we're going it with backups.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
i do differ between playing not well and having a lack of motivation ... but yes, surely we had our times where playing was not fun at all.

at the start of the season i could have agreed with you, because i see a few players (even del piero) not chasing every ball and just slowly walking back after losing the ball (camoranesi), but it seems this time is gone ...

Sidindi

Jan 18, 2008
OK, last thing I am going to say. I am not saying we need to do something right now, I am just saying we could play much better, and I don't think its the players. Using "motivation" might have been the wrong term, I admit - so instead let me just say, I don't think we're playing to our potential, and that's the coaches responsibility.

To accentuate my point. I do not argue we are doing well. I am quite happy with our position right now. I just wish we did better, so I wonder what's going on. Sorry for the confusion.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
ok, now i got you ... many people here believe that our sometimes predictable and not so fine to watch play is due to camoranesis absence.

it is true that he offers far more creativity from the midfield than any of our players can and so with him we are much more enjoyable, but as long as we get the results i really don't care.

i think right at the moment we can not blame ranieri for much. if we do not play better, when the injury list shortens, then we might moan, but until then i think he does grind out the result we need with a squad that surely never meant to play in this composition...

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
OK, last thing I am going to say. I am not saying we need to do something right now, I am just saying we could play much better, and I don't think its the players. Using "motivation" might have been the wrong term, I admit - so instead let me just say, I don't think we're playing to our potential, and that's the coaches responsibility.

To accentuate my point. I do not argue we are doing well. I am quite happy with our position right now. I just wish we did better, so I wonder what's going on. Sorry for the confusion.
We can always do better, but considering our horror start to the season, almost halfway into the season and only 6 points behind Inter? that sounds pretty perfect to me

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
We can always do better, but considering our horror start to the season, almost halfway into the season and only 6 points behind Inter? that sounds pretty perfect to me
Yes, also considering the absence of the seniors like Trez, Buffon, Camo and purchases like Poulsen who are suppose to be the driving force behind the Scudetto assault.

We should be more than glad that the young players are stepping up in their absence and we still find ourself within sight of a team with $ that never runs out ... Urgh, I hate Moretti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)