Rate Juve's Mercato (1 Viewer)

As per thread title

Results are only viewable after voting.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
well, if I recall correctly, a defense consisted of melberg legro chiellini molinaro + sissoko and poulsen (or was it zanetti?) beaten madrid twice and if not by the lack of luck chelsea too..., add that juve finished 2nd that year (or was it 3rd?); now on paper, it's not that our current defensive sector is any worse than that...

we must all realize that juve poor record all these recent past years were more because of
1. injuries
2. mentality
3. lack of pace & ability to open defenses
4. tactical idiocy from the coach

fix that 4 and juve would be scudetto challenger, I see that the number 3 is likely fixed this season, but that would be dependent on number 4 too which still remain to be seen; as for number 1 and 2, it's another matter that can't really be discussed anyway...

I rate this mercato 6...

Buy on AliExpress.com

fredrik

Aug 7, 2011
Melo WAS working better than 80% of our team and since Aquilani and Sissoko were replaced early on with Pirlo and Pazienza and we also decided to give another chance to Marchisio.
The last thing that should worry us was yet another CM, 3mil spent on Lugano would be by a far wiser choice...
Melo was not supposed to bring creativity, but solidarity, Pirlo and a LW should give us that creativity and of course one of the many SSs we have.

Signing Vucinic after that was, was yet another huge mistake, considering our priorities, practically our high end mercato ended there, since our budget was exausted.
From there, we should do the better we could for our primary targets LW and or LB/CB, but we kept wasting money right and left on Giaccherinis and Estigarribias...

Terrible terrible mercato...

Do you think that Bonucci, Martinez and Grosso were working better than Melo, than how can you justify they were overlooked and the CM and SS took priority?
And keep in mind that this has happened for the 6th consecutive season...
i agree that our defending was not good enough last year. But in my view defending is not all about the 4 defenders, but about the whole team. other teams knew how to score agaist us, and we saw it game after game. we lost the ball going forward, and they hit us on the counterattack, with faster players than we had. Other teams also knew that our lb and rb was horrible and took advantage of this fact. i am not happy about our current lb, but hopefully he will be good enough at least until january.

if you look at milan, they had the skill and ability to keep ballposition when they where in the lead, and that is in my mind the way to go. juve of last year, did not have the players nor the skills to keep hold of the ball, and in most cases didnt know how to break open teams that where defending with 10 men.

i agree with you on melo having a good season, but i also see him as very limited player. He offers nothing going forward, and i hope vidal will be offering alot more, as a box-box mid.

we have too many forwards, no doubt, but last year, when quag was out showed us how important it is to have good backup. I only consider matri, vucinic, del piero and quag as our forwards, and therefor i consider vucinic a needed signing.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
I didn't see anyone call Melo a creative player - and why would he be depended on to "break open the defense of other teams"?

Are you kidding? You realize that a large part of the reason why Melo had such a bad first season was because he was being asked to do too much in the way of ball distribution, right?

Have you seen the statistics for Melo's passing completion percentage? He's more than serviceable in that regard, when he sticks to his game and doesn't try to do too much.

2 years ago we allowed more goals than a relegated Atalanta squad. Last year we allowed 47 goals. Stick to the cliched adages here man, it'll be easier: "Defense wins championships." It holds true more often than not, in nearly ALL team sports, and our defense has been putrid for awhile now. It has been a bigger problem than our offense.

You know how you mentioned AC Milan's outstanding defensive record? Where did they finish? Exactly where we should always be aiming to finish.

Also - it's easier to score goals when you have a lead. Teams have to attack, over commit themselves, and can be exploited. We've been giving up a lot of early goals, and then having to fight back against clubs that put 10 men behind the ball. We also blow leads, because the players get nervous because they KNOW the defense is a sieve.
:tup:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I rate this Mercato a 5. Quality has somewhat been compromised as we purchased in bulk again. Pirlo, Lich, and Vidal are fine acquisitions. Elia and Vucinic are both inconsistent and temperamental. Ziegler was acquired and then sold?! Wtf?! Giacherrini and Chelo are unknown quantities, and I feel were brought in to make up the numbers, although Chelo might surprise.

A proper LB and a starting CB are required, and if we make the CL next season, I expect two superstar signings for SS and LW.

DVS

Must be patient
Nov 13, 2008
I rate this Mercato a 5. Quality has somewhat been compromised as we purchased in bulk again. Pirlo, Lich, and Vidal are fine acquisitions. Elia and Vucinic are both inconsistent and temperamental. Ziegler was acquired and then sold?! Wtf?! Giacherrini and Chelo are unknown quantities, and I feel were brought in to make up the numbers, although Chelo might surprise.

A proper LB and a starting CB are required, and if we make the CL next season, I expect two superstar signings for SS and LW.
Whats funny is you say bulk compromised the Mercato yet you say the team needs signings in 4 more positions

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
We do need a starting CB, and a proper LB. As for LW and SS, I just feel we will need to make that step up in quality should we qualify for the CL.

We bought Pirlo and Vidal for CM, Chelo, Elia, and Giacherrini for RW/LW, and Vucinic for SS. We also finally got a decent RB, and bought a LB who the coach didn't really want. In essence, we did purchase in bulk, but only for one or two positions while overlooking other key areas.

DVS

Must be patient
Nov 13, 2008
We do need a starting CB, and a proper LB. As for LW and SS, I just feel we will need to make that step up in quality should we qualify for the CL.

We bought Pirlo and Vidal for CM, Chelo, Elia, and Giacherrini for RW/LW, and Vucinic for SS. We also finally got a decent RB, and bought a LB who the coach didn't really want. In essence, we did purchase in bulk, but only for one or two positions while overlooking other key areas.
I just wanted to hear your reaction. Personally I didn't get some of the purchases as Beppe did buy some decent talent but just avoided areas. Maybe he and Conte didn`t like the talent in those specific positions I don`t know for sure. All I know is that I browsed some lineups the last couple of years and this team is a better step in quality.

I guess what I`m trying to say is this team was so bad I guess the bulk route was needed to be taken as no quality players would come to a crap team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)