Ramadan Kareem!! (14 Viewers)

Aug 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
To clarify, you must repent and ask for forgiveness to be forgiven. If you are not sorry and don't as for forgiveness you don't go to heaven.

And Jesus died for all the world, so people can spread the good news about God.

Sally or whoever, I hzave some questions:

- So who is your God if we have the same prophets?
- Do we have the same one?
- Are all Islams like the ones that are shown on the news that commit suicide attacks for their God?
-our god is Allah. We do have David Abraham etc as our prophets (christianity and islam is quite similar) but I think we're quite different when it comes to jesus

-same what?

-no, thats just american propaganda. in islam, u can only go to war for certain reasons, that is if u are attacked or if u need to defend the helpless. and when u DO go to war, ur not even allowed to harm the elderly, the children and women.

just for the record islam doesn't allow extremism

gray, im confused! can u give me an explanation short but simple? :D i just dont get the part where jesus dies and everyone's forgiven. i mean, you say jesus is god, but why does he has to die, why can't he just forgive all of us?

and, i heard jesus died to forgive the sins of adam that we carry. why do we need to deal with adam's sin when it was he who did it?

oh, and one more, cant protestants be preachers... :cool:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
Question for Gray and others:

Have you really looked into other religions as whole (not part) before you really settled on yours ?

if not, then it's like being a judge and only listening to one side of the story....

and i mean real research into the fundimentals of one religion and not what you hear from people. look at other religionswith an open mind and only compare each one to your religion after you've learned ALL the fundimentals of each.

I've learned so much about Christianity because my grandparents are christian.

How much do you really know about Islam Gray?

are you only getting Info of Islam from some biased Christians (no offense) or the currupted news??

Zizou assumes islam is what he has sees on T.V (which is full of crap and half-truths?

Saying that the freaks who did the 9/11 attacks represent the true Islam is like saying that the horrific Christian Crusades against Islam represents your teachings???

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
Thanks Ali for those two posts with explanation what Ramadan is :)
You are welcome Vit.

++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
Great Explenation Ali. :thumb:
Thanks but it was just a cut & a paste .... :)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Thanks for the info DaJuve[/b]
You are welcome gray.

"The good that is acquired through the fast can be destroyed by five things -

greed or covetousness
"

Wow, that's gotta take some discipline. How does one turn their mind from greed in any aspect of their lives? Maybe fasting is supposed to turn your dependence to God instead of food, but how can someone not experience greed when they see or smell delicious food during a fast? It doesn't even have to be food, there's so many things in the world that bring out greed within people.
The point here is that everything is in front of you per se & you are supposed to be disciplined in that you are not being forced to do it - You choose to do it (I mean you could go & pig out in a restaurant or something). You will experience greed of course but after years of fasting you get conditioned to it. You learn to control your greed (in whatever aspect it comes ie food wise etc. Remember that in the first place even without being in the month of Ramadan you are still supposed to refrain from doing evil stuff ...

++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
;) It's dangerous to eat too much in one go after a long period of fasting, because your body's not used to taking so much in. So take it easy after each fasting period, and don't have a big pig-out, like I did after the first time i did a long-term fast :stress::yuck:
Most muslims fast from the age of around 13 to 14 years so they are all pretty much experienced :D I could give you some tips ;)

What are the other pillars of Islam?
Sally already did a good job here. Great stuff Sally :thumb:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++

gray, im confused! can u give me an explanation short but simple? :D i just dont get the part where jesus dies and everyone's forgiven. i mean, you say jesus is god, but why does he has to die, why can't he just forgive all of us?
okay, i'll try to keep it simple:

God is a God of justice. Before Jesus came, when people committed sins they had to sacrifice animals or other things to God, to make up for what they've done. The animals couldn't just be lame, injured or sick animals, they had to be the best, youngest lambs... lambs without blemish.

God told the people of the world that soon, there will come a Saviour, and that they won't need to make these sacrifices anymore.

That sacrifice was Jesus. Now because God is a just God, something or someone had to die as a sacrifice, in place of the lamb.

Romans 6:23
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. " (bolds mine).

It can clearly be seen from this verse that if a person sins, there must be a death.

Since Jesus lived a life without sin, he was the final and ultimate sacrifice, a lamb without a blemish. He was the perfect sacrifice, and because of this, all our sins in the past, present and future are forgiven :D

and, i heard jesus died to forgive the sins of adam that we carry. why do we need to deal with adam's sin when it was he who did it?
Romans 5:12

"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned,"

Adam's sin corrupted the hearts of humans, and as such, all of Adam's offspring are also corrupted by this original sin. However, just like Adam and Eve needed to eat the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil to become aware of sin, I believe that people aren't born sinful. Babies have no knowledge of good and evil, so AFAIK they don't go to hell if they die at an age where they're not aware of these things.

oh, and one more, cant protestants be preachers... :cool:
No, of course Protestants can be preachers :LOL: I said that because Protestants don't have a pope ;)

++ [ originally posted by DaJuve ] ++
Most muslims fast from the age of around 13 to 14 years so they are all pretty much experienced :D I could give you some tips ;)
Thanks, but I'm already familiar with fasting ;)

btw Majed, you haven't gone unnoticed, but i'm at uni atm so i'll get back to u asap :)

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
In Holy Qoran , there is a number of prophets mentioned.. they of course start with Adam , and include all Moses and Jesus.. their stories were all told in Qoran. But different from Jews and Christians we believe in the last Prophet which is Muhammad. To make it easier to see, Jews believe Moses is the last prophet and dont recognize Jesus. Christian believe in both moses and jesus but dont recognize muhammad...

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Zizou assumes islam is what he has sees on T.V (which is full of crap and half-truths?
I wasn't assuming anything, was just asking about it.

Hey guys Adam was never a prophet, he was an invention, a metaphor to explain how the original sin came to be.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002

i dont know bout other ppl, but this would be my answer :

ramdhan is a month where a muslim's ultimate goal is to get closer to god. without the worldly distractions- eg food sex etc, one will find it a lot easier to pray, read the quran etc more often. once u do this, u feel more serene, at peace and content. at least i do :D

anyhow to make it simple- why i find ramdhan the best moment in every year is because the pleasure of serving god is much greater than just eating delicious food and having good sex :eek: sounds unbelievable, i know, but its true for me. its the serenity of ramadhan that makes it all so beautiful
Your profile says that you're 14 years old.
So when you say in your own name (I think so cause you said: i dont know bout other ppl, but this would be my answer) that the pleasure of serving God is much greater than having good sex - I find it quite funny and unbelieavable.
Or maybe Malaysia has such different customs :dazed:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
In Holy Qoran , there is a number of prophets mentioned.. they of course start with Adam , and include all Moses and Jesus.. their stories were all told in Qoran. But different from Jews and Christians we believe in the last Prophet which is Muhammad. To make it easier to see, Jews believe Moses is the last prophet and dont recognize Jesus. Christian believe in both moses and jesus but dont recognize muhammad...
Wow, short and simple explanation :thumb:
I would have to wrote long essey insted of few simple sentences :D

Aug 1, 2003
vit, of course i've never experienced sex, its forbidden till i get married. my whole point was, during fasting i think muslims realize there's more to life than just fun in this world u know. i dont know how to explain it in english..

thanks gray! finally it was clear, but u didnt answer my question, why cant god just forgive us all, why must they make sacrifices, i mean, after all, he is god...

and whos malachi?

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
vit, of course i've never experienced sex, its forbidden till i get married. my whole point was, during fasting i think muslims realize there's more to life than just fun in this world u know. i dont know how to explain it in english..
What I found odd is that, that you made some stronge statements about things you dont know, cause you didnt experienced them.

Catholics have similar thing: it's called: Lent, and it also time to think about other things than only pleasures of earthly life.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
Question for Gray and others:

Have you really looked into other religions as whole (not part) before you really settled on yours ?

if not, then it's like being a judge and only listening to one side of the story....
It's not much question to me, cause I'm not really religious, but have few general thoughts about thing, you're asking about.

I think not many of religious people looked into other religions as whole, before they settled on theirs. You know why? Cause most of religious people have been raised in some religion since they were little kids.
So it's hard to do that, since you're raised in one for years.
So it's hard to be objecive to other religious, to look deeper into them, and actually what for? To know more about world, about the others, but not really to think more about that. Most of them have their opinions about some matters, and they dont change them. It's just human nature.

btw: I was talking about really religious people - like some of them around me.

Aug 1, 2003
vit, sorry if i didnt sound convincing or something, like i said, i cant really express what i felt by typing, it was a shrewd explanation from me. i found this at a website, i think it'll help u understand better than my shrewed explanation :

The Holy Month of Ramadhan, which begins after the crescent of the new moon is spotted, is one of the most sacred Islamic observances because it marks the month in which Allah revealed the Holy Qur'an to Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h), bringing with it all the glory. This is the month in which the door of heavens are kept open, doors of hell are closed and Satan is kept in chains.
Ramadhan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. Abstaining from eating, drinking and sexual intercourse between dawn and dusk is simply the means to attain the spiritual experience, but it is certainly not the ends. Each Ramadhan brings new insights and meanings for the faithful.

The main purpose of fasting is described in the Qur'an as "so that you may attain taqwa or God-consciousness". Fasting is thus yet another instrument for bringing us closer to our natural state, our state of fitrah and for cleansing this state from the dross of any disobedience and corruption.

Ramadhan is a month of heightened devotion. In it, Salaat is performed with greater intensity. It is a period of intense reflection and devotion, seeking guidance and forgiveness, and reading the Qur'an. Ramadhan is a great opportunity to get closer to the blessed guidance of the Qur'an which was revealed in this month. Ramadhan is also called the month of the Qur'an.

The month of Ramadhan is an opportunity to develop qualities of endurance and self-restraint, to control anger and a fiery or malicious tongue.

Ramadhan is a time to awaken compassion and solidarity with others and in particular with the poor. We are urged to be more liberal in giving during Ramadhan and are required at the end of fasting to give Zakat al Fitr, an amount to enable all to share in the spirit of warmth, affection and brotherhood.

Ramadhan is above all an opportunity to reorient oneself to the Creator and the natural path of goodness and God-consciousness.

Fasting has long been revered as a path to holiness among many of the world's religions. But the practice is not as widespread as it once was, except among Muslims, who regard fasting (siyam) as a pillar of faith. For Muslims, Ramadhan isn't considered a hardship, but a time of charity and fellowship, so revered that even those most lax in their faith are observant.

Jews and Christians share similar beliefs. For instance, the Jewish fast day of Yom Kippur is a time of solemnity as well as joy. Fasting is considered part of the process of atonement.

The heyday for fasting among Christians was the Middle Ages. In its extreme form, saints such as Catherine of Siena and Clare of Assisi fasted to near starvation and often flogged themselves to gain control over carnal desires and induce mystical visions.

Fasting is not obligated for the reason of instigating hunger so that other desires are suppressed. Rather, fasting should make the believer closer to Allah (swt) and hence it becomes easier for him to abstain from committing the Haram.

Here, we must note, any divine rule is associated with some effort or hardship. And some obligations require more hardship than others. For example, Jihad requires more effort and energy than fasting. But the hardship itself is not a reason for the legislation of the obligation. However, Allah (swt) will reward man according how much effort and energy he puts into the fulfilling of the divine rule.

As for the fasting, it requires patience and endurance. Allah (swt) declared:

"O you who believe! be patient and excel in patience and remain steadfast, and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, that you may be successful." (Qur'an 3:200)
The evening of the 23rd day of the month marks the most special day of the year for believers as Laylat-al-Qadr (the Night of Decree) is observed. It is believed that on this night Prophet Muhammad first received the revelation of the Holy Quran. Any prayer or deed is returned manifold and all sins are forgiven.

----

i think what majed was trying to say is that you should look wholly into a religion before judging it, probably?

and i don't know bout other ppl, but i do try to understand other religions better- thats why gray has to deal with my 1001 questions. its easier for me to understand what other ppl believe in and stuff so that i wont make a wrong judgement..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)