Ramadan Kareem!! (10 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Actually, it does. It's the difference between saying organized religion is the root of all evil versus saying people are the root of all evil and their religions become the excuse.

If you buy the former theory, you turn communist and outlaw religion. If you buy the latter, you are better adept at seeing through the religious veneer for justifying evil. Either has big implications for a society.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Actually, it does. It's the difference between saying organized religion is the root of all evil versus saying people are the root of all evil and their religions become the excuse.

If you buy the former theory, you turn communist and outlaw religion. If you buy the latter, you are better adept at seeing through the religious veneer for justifying evil. Either has big implications for a society.
dont bother he's never heard of ignoratio elenchi since it's only taught in the US and that's just some inferior education

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005

..........Swag for president :smoke:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Seriously you guys have had some bad education. I know the history education in America (and Belgium as well for that matter) is quite poor, but saying WWII had nothing to do with religion is pretty stupid even if you've never had a single history lesson before. What planet are you guys from?
No way Andries. We all know education in Belgium is a farce. You're simply wrong on this one.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think you're mixing up motivation with justification -- or call it cause with effect there, son. They need to teach the scientific method better there in Belgium. All those waffles are apparently causing hallucinations.
I know that the education about WWII in America is shockingly poor. In fact it's one of the things historians in Europe generally laugh with. It's bad in Belgium as well, I never said it wasn't, but it is particularly poor in America. Perhaps it's because it wasn't as much your war as it was ours. Now if you had known the first thing about WWII you would have known that the population's hatred towards Jews was one of the single most important factors that started off the whole thing in the first place. Saying WWII has got nothing to do with religion is saying 9/11 has got nothing to do with terrorism.

No way Andries. We all know education in Belgium is a farce. You're simply wrong on this one.
I never said education in Belgium was good. However I am an historian and I have studied at the Universities of both Antwerp and Bologna (both ranked pretty high). Look, if it's about WWII I'm going to know more than you. That's just how it is.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

What's funny is that people have yet to realize that I'm actually saying WWII was about religion because it was against a particular one.

Jan 7, 2004

i am tired of the "god is on our side" argument

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)