Ramadan Kareem!! (42 Viewers)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
Just to add what La_dynamite said, Ramadhan is the 9th month of the Lunar calendar, which is around 11 days shorter than the solar calendar year. Since the 4 seasons are always going to start at the same time every solar year, that's not true about the lunar year because the year is shorter. So every year Ramadhan starts around 11 days earlier than the solar date that it started the year before. That goes for all the months.

They way we know that a lunar month started is when we see the moon in it's cresent form after it was dissappeared. The prophet Mohammed PBHU said to fast at the sight of the moon (begining of the month of Ramadhan). In some countries, they aren't able to see the moon yet so the month of Ramadhan starts a day later. It all evens out eventually for the rest of the months.

To add to your confusion :D, in many Islamic countires, the official calendar is not the Gregorian Calendar. Those countries use the Hijri calendar. Todat is 30/8/1425 h. The hijri calendar is lunar and it is marked by the Prophet Mohammed's journey to Al-Madinah 1425 years ago (and that another story).

la_dynamite86

Sep 24, 2004
Exactly! :)
To be honest, I didn't know that today is 30/8/1425 (in the Hijri-Calendar) - I always forget it as we use the Gregorian Calender in Europe. But now I've also learned from our expert!!! Thanks Majed and a happy Ramadan!

:)

vjernik

Oct 14, 2004
Bajram serif mubarek olsun.

Good Ramadan Brothers
and a Big smile for all Juve Fans :D

ALAHHUEKBER!!!!!!!!!!!
ALAHHUEKBER!!!!!!!!!!!
ALAHHUEKBER!!!!!!!!!!!
ALAHHUEKBER!!!!!!!!!!!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Hi vjernik, welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, we already have a thread on Ramadan, as Don Bes has already pointed out, so I'm going to close this thread ;)

Darin

Sep 8, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
Just to add what La_dynamite said, Ramadhan is the 9th month of the Lunar calendar, which is around 11 days shorter than the solar calendar year. Since the 4 seasons are always going to start at the same time every solar year, that's not true about the lunar year because the year is shorter. So every year Ramadhan starts around 11 days earlier than the solar date that it started the year before. That goes for all the months.

They way we know that a lunar month started is when we see the moon in it's cresent form after it was dissappeared. The prophet Mohammed PBHU said to fast at the sight of the moon (begining of the month of Ramadhan). In some countries, they aren't able to see the moon yet so the month of Ramadhan starts a day later. It all evens out eventually for the rest of the months.

To add to your confusion :D, in many Islamic countires, the official calendar is not the Gregorian Calendar. Those countries use the Hijri calendar. Todat is 30/8/1425 h. The hijri calendar is lunar and it is marked by the Prophet Mohammed's journey to Al-Madinah 1425 years ago (and that another story).
man ur the best ;)

apart frm us,i think all the other gulf countries follow saudi is that right ?

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Darin ] ++

man ur the best ;)

apart frm us,i think all the other gulf countries follow saudi is that right ?
I think so too since the gulf countries are near each other and if the moon is spotted by the local moon observers in Saudi Arabia than it's made official through the gulf. If Oman does it locally than that's ok. As long as they are consistant (meaning they shouldn't start fasting according to their sighters a day late then observe Eid according to the other gulf countries' sighting!

It's like that in many countries...Some people follow the local societies.... In North America, many follow ISNA (the Islamic Society of North America). They have their own people to spot the new moon.

IT's a matter of "2jtihad," where we just do our best....

Allah 23lm.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by barkuss ] ++

Well.....its equial for our "Marry Cristhmas".......ask more from Zlatan....he'll know. I have a friend whos Muslim and we say that to him every time when Bajram comes.
What's "Bajram?"

besides the "mubarek" part, I don't think that's Arabic.

must be in your language.

Darin

Sep 8, 2002

I think so too since the gulf countries are near each other and if the moon is spotted by the local moon observers in Saudi Arabia than it's made official through the gulf. If Oman does it locally than that's ok. As long as they are consistant (meaning they shouldn't start fasting according to their sighters a day late then observe Eid according to the other gulf countries' sighting!

It's like that in many countries...Some people follow the local societies.... In North America, many follow ISNA (the Islamic Society of North America). They have their own people to spot the new moon.

IT's a matter of "2jtihad," where we just do our best....

Allah 23lm.

yeah both Ramadhan n Eid moon spottin is done locally over here, we dont follow any other country

Darin

Sep 8, 2002

What's "Bajram?"

besides the "mubarek" part, I don't think that's Arabic.

must be in your language.

maybe its ramadhan :undecide:

check this other ramadhan thread opened by this guy frm bosnia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 41)