Raising the quality of posts (2 Viewers)

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
A thread had descended into a big slagging match, I posted a warning, some kept going, I warned them. Why is this so hard to believe or take?
what are you Saddam?? you posted a warning and we didn't obey so you warned us for that? going off topic is in every thread ffs.

It was rescinded because you didn't really deserve it. Snoop did.
:shifty:

These last two posts are flip sides of the same argument. There are two kinds of whingers about moderation here:
1) The forum has gone to hell, it's all a mess, full of text speak, illiterate fools and idiotic off topic posts. Ban them all!
2) Relax, I want to do my thing.

I can't do both. None of the mods can. What can we do? We can make this place a good Juve site, and we can make it a good online community. There's a balance to be had between those two.

For a good Juve site, you want news threads to stay on topic. Off topic posts make it hard to find information, hard to hold a conversation about a topic you want discussed. Fights and other crap like that are also detrimental.

For a good online community, people have to be able to shoot the breeze, post random shit, chat. That means keeping spam and trolling to a minimum. And yes, a group of idiots ganging up on a new guy, or some punter whose English is so-so, or just someone they don't like, is trolling. Those cliques make it tough to attract and keep new members, and as we lose older members (some of them sick of morons fighting), it makes the forums that bit duller, for all the instant entertainment it seems to bring some.
Idiot this idiot that. blah blah

you are different personality not everyone will think the way you do. only dictators will do that. you should think of the majority's opinion. this place is not a place to read Juve information only, you can find that newspapers or other news agency sites. this place is a place for Juventini or any football fan to gather together, that's why we have various forums. got it? if you are a geek/ geek wanabee we don't have to be like you.

People break them every other second.
yeah, but it's all about double standards, and when you ask the reason you are banned or warned they tell you are a paranoid.

I just saw that Tonykart is banned, can someone tell me why?
he was a parasite anyway.

Marko

GhostDog
May 1, 2006
what are you Saddam?? you posted a warning and we didn't obey so you warned us for that? going off topic is in every thread ffs.

:shifty:

Idiot this idiot that. blah blah

you are different personality not everyone will think the way you do. only dictators will do that. you should think of the majority's opinion. this place is not a place to read Juve information only, you can find that newspapers or other news agency sites. this place is a place for Juventini or any football fan to gather together, that's why we have various forums. got it? if you are a geek/ geek wanabee we don't have to be like you.

yeah, but it's all about double standards, and when you ask the reason you are banned or warned they tell you are a paranoid.
:thumbs:
...and that's what forums are all about: chit-chat, fun, small talks, serious talks, arguing... This forum would never have almost 1300000 posts, which btw makes us very proud, if we're all serious as death.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
that's what am talking about. warnings only should be used If a member is annoying the majority of the forums by breaking rules. and not warn everyone everytime they break a rule, imagine you got yourself ban 45 days for going off topic and using some foul language somewhere. isn't that idiotic?? It happened a lot and still happening.

Marko

GhostDog
May 1, 2006
My opinion is that rules must be strict only for malicious behavior. There must be some tolerance for going off-topic, foul language... which is btw, the case here.

Geof

May 14, 2004
Boah... I don't see stupid posts any more. I guess my brain has developed an ability to neglect meaningless posts, whch constitute about 2/3 of the posts around here.

But there's no use of banning useless posters, really; As long as they respect the rules of the forum (which include using full english sentences).

Besides, it's always funny to have a guy writing "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" or GOOOOOAAAAAALLLL FORZA DEL PIEEEEROOOOOO" in a live match thread.

That said, I am a strong supporter of anyone wanting to add depth and quality to this forum.
---

As for Dominic's problem on post counts: isn't there a vBulletin hack which would allow the user to chose between post count, words per post, or no count at all?

Agon

Sep 23, 2006
a good thing is to raise the minimum of words members can post
i see some replies with only two words and a lot of replies are just smilies

that would increase quality of posts

d.nico

Apr 23, 2003
I see and i agree, but i had to draw the line, to make sure no one will exploit your thread to make the wrong racist/elitist argument out of it, since there is also an elitist/"i own the world" tendency in these forums and it can be even more annoying!
Arrogance is worse than innocent stupidity...
Very true :agree:

This is just a forum. You can't change someone on this forum. As long as you obey the rule and doesn't act like an asshole, that's ok.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
...you are different personality not everyone will think the way you do. only dictators will do that. you should think of the majority's opinion. this place is not a place to read Juve information only, you can find that newspapers or other news agency sites. this place is a place for Juventini or any football fan to gather together, that's why we have various forums. got it? if you are a geek/ geek wanabee we don't have to be like you.
Yes, we have various subforums. Guess why? If you just want to chat, do it in the hangout. If you want to discuss a transfer target, or who we should play at right back next season, there's a place for that too. The structure here is to attempt to let people carry out actual discussions, instead of trawling through pages and pages of innane chit-chat or back-biting just to find the few posts they're interested in replying to - and this in a thread whose title indicates something of interest to them. Screw you if you think you've a right to indulge yourself there.

Double standards my ass - the people who accuse the mods of this are ever the guys who are always getting in trouble. There's no substance to this. There are a number of mods now, drawn from the most active, level-headed people on the forum, and by and large they act fairly. I've seen decisions overturned by discussion among the mods, I've even overturned some of my own on later reflection, but by and large the guys whinging about the mods are guilty of attacking other posters for no reason other than petty spite, or the childish feeling of power that comes from the anonimity of the internet - cowards and trolls.

d.nico

Apr 23, 2003
There's no nothing to explain, it's simple as that. I'm not psychologist. I suppose you know somebody that changed himself...Maybe some ex-junkie, ex-criminal or just some ex-fool who have become decent guy.
talking in general, it's not an easy task to change somebody. I am not saying that someone can't be changed. But this kind of forum will not easily change someone. You can't hope you can change someone perception in internet forum. You can't hope you can make someone become smarter in this forum. maybe someone can be a bit lazzier :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)