Quitting smoking (10 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Personally, the worst thing about quitting is...you don't know what to do with your freaking hands, especially when you go for a cup of coffee or soemthing. I find myself constantly playing around with my cell or my keys, I don't miss the nicotine I miss having my hands doing something.
I've never smoked anything and yet I've had this all my life. :D I just can't sit and talk to someone, my hands get restless, I find something to play with, a coffee cup, a spoon, whatever.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I've never smoked anything and yet I've had this all my life. :D I just can't sit and talk to someone, my hands get restless, I find something to play with, a coffee cup, a spoon, whatever.
You can't imagine how handy a cigarette is in those situations than. Light a cig and then inhale, exhale, roll it around your fingers a bit, tap the ashes... Repeat.

Busy, busy, busy. :D

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
I have been smoking since I was 18, and it is all BS...I've never gone above 6 cigarettes a day...can quit whenever I want
Me too... 13 days smoke free and not a sweat broken... but i'm sure i'll smoke once again once the promised month is over... i smoke not more than 3 to 4 a day... there have been times when i've smoked a pack... i've quit twice, once for an year and half, another time for six months... but once i started working i started again, mostly coz wen i take a break a cigarette feels great with a cup of tea or coffee... as long as you the smoke doesn't control you, quitting is not that big a deal...

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

If you smoke 3,4 cigs a day, you're a casual smoker, there's a huge difference. You obviously have not developed an addiction if you're abiding by that limit, so quitting won't be a problem for you.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Iva started smoking cause I gave up the herb which is completely ridiculous.I only smoke about 4 a day but still i need to quit this shite!

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
If you smoke 3,4 cigs a day, you're a casual smoker, there's a huge difference. You obviously have not developed an addiction if you're abiding by that limit, so quitting won't be a problem for you.
i understand that... the first time i quit i wasn't a casual smoker... but it wasn't very difficult then either... after the first few days it was fine... some people do find it very difficult to quit... psychologically you take a hit, which in turn affects your body... if you have enough motivation any person should be able to do it...

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

i understand that... the first time i quit i wasn't a casual smoker... but it wasn't very difficult then either... after the first few days it was fine... some people do find it very difficult to quit... psychologically you take a hit, which in turn affects your body... if you have enough motivation any person should be able to do it...
True, but it depends from person to person. The first time I quit, I had no problem for 2 whole years, some people I know couldn't do it for a week. Now it's 3 months and it's a lot harder for me this time around.. You know what they say? No one quits forever, they always come back...even for a little while. And so far I found that to be true.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I've examined countless objects in my hands all through my life, "elders" have told me I should have knitting equipment. I doubt cigarettes are particularly interesting to play with. I had a digital watch as a kid that offered a much needed distraction. No more so than in church. :D

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
True, but it depends from person to person. The first time I quit, I had no problem for 2 whole years, some people I know couldn't do it for a week. Now it's 3 months and it's a lot harder for me this time around.. You know what they say? No one quits forever, they always come back...even for a little while. And so far I found that to be true.
yup... actually you are just one silly reason away from returning to cigarettes... you just wait for one silly excuse to start smoking again... thats how i restarted twice... maybe some day i'll quit for good... but i don't see that day coming anytime soon though...

Apr 15, 2006
i guess smoking one or two sticks when we have a silly reason every 3-4 months aint as bad as smoking a pack or two each day! it'll do much less harm than regular smoking! at least your not torturing yourself from not smoking in silly situations! feed that urge for that time only, and use all ur will powah and supress it until the next silly new episode!

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
You know, my young cousin has these exact symptoms. he was diagnosed with ADD, Attention deficit disorder. Perhaps it's curable, have you ever tried to get help? Although I think you're case is a little different.

I remember my old English teacher had something very simmilar to yours. It was impossible to have a face to face conversation with him, he would always somehow talk to you whle trying to escape from you, or he would fidget with the shutters, the board, something..

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
You know, my young cousin has these exact symptoms. he was diagnosed with ADD, Attention deficit disorder. Perhaps it's curable, have you ever tried to get help? Although I think you're case is a little different.

I remember my old English teacher had something very simmilar to yours. It was impossible to have a face to face conversation with him, he would always somehow talk to you whle trying to escape from you, or he would fidget with the shutters, the board, something..
I have no problems with concentration. It's just that when I'm talking to someone I have "spare cycles" in my brain, I'm not using my full brain power and the part that's not being used is bored, that's why I look for things to play with. It's just too boring looking at someone when talking and not do anything else. Doesn't mean I'm not still bored when I'm playing with a spoon, just less bored.

When I'm at the computer it's different, my hands are active already.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Btw another thing I have is I can't look someone in the eyes when talking about something serious. Impossible. I start trying to analyze their eyes and I totally lose focus on what I'm saying. Or put it this way, if I have to think while I'm talking, I can't look the person in the eyes, too distracting. If I don't have to think and it's just something I know inside out, it doesn't matter.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
I don't think too many people can relate to that but it does soound interesting. To me, it seems mainly pscological, perhaps something that occured or was contnually occuring during your childhood. I don't have to tell you about that, you're already a Freud fan.:D

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I can't do it, i'm too weak.
I've been smoking for more than 10 years. Every single night i'm telling myself that i won't smoke starting from tomorrow and then i light a cigarette 10 sec after i wake up.
I tried to quit only two times. It lasted a little less than a day the first time and about 12 hours the second time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)