QF 1 | Portugal - England (3 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

He cant take penalties. He always hits them to the right :D
Owen should take them.
Yeah..and he showed it once again. But tell me why missing penalties isn't a form of choking? Ricardo really is mental isn't he? :D Postiga as well.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
You know it's funny about the penalty shootout cause apparently after Becks' miss Svennis ordered the boys to just make sure it's on target, which they politely did. Weird though..

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++
Well done to Portugal, deservedly through. The disallowed goal was a mistake but the best team by far won tonight.
I thought the goal was rightfully disallowed, but perhaps I missed something? Not that Terry made a foul, but wasn't there a foul just before?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Postiga my god!! :cool: That man rules :D
Postiga's penalty was great, but I liked Totti's in Euro 2004 more because the Dutch missed everything and then this Italian loverboy steps up and does this trick. But Postiga's was even slower than Totti's so perhaps it was even more daring.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Mmm supposedly.. the goalkeeper cannot be touched in the little area..... but the commentators said that even when he was touched or bothered.. it was not big deal.. to call a foul.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
Mmm supposedly.. the goalkeeper cannot be touched in the little area..... but the commentators said that even when he was touched or bothered.. it was not big deal.. to call a foul.
Actually, IMO it was a clear foul, and the ref here said the same thing.

It is a big deal because Terry prevented Ricardo to jump for the ball, he held him down with his hand.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
NOOOOOO my dad called an argued with them,

they cut gol tv, rai, an the resto f the tourny,
i wont ever get to watch Juve again! AGHHH

Sep 14, 2003
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++

I thought the goal was rightfully disallowed, but perhaps I missed something? Not that Terry made a foul, but wasn't there a foul just before?
Well usually we see that decision go in favour of the keeper, so the English can moan all they want, to be honest, I'd be a little upset if I was English - however, they were poor tonight and didn't deserve to win.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

It is a big deal because Terry prevented Ricardo to jump for the ball, he held him down with his hand.
I know.. they said it was not big deal.. but in my opinion.. i think it was a foul too..as terry was bothering too much ricardo.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Unbelievable.

We started the game great. Rooney getting injured was a blow and defensive football is risky. Portugal did own the game, and deserved the equaliser. BUT England did defend very well, we DEFENDED well waiting for a chance to score a winner. We got the chance. Campbell scored. It was a goal. The referee was terrible and was no where near the goal, obviously a home decision.

Great goal Rui, and nice equaliser Lampard.

Beckham blew it, James is a joke. Portugal keeper is dick head.

But really extratime and penalties should never have taken place. We were cheated out of this tournament.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Beckham choked, and he showed why he is not a world class footballer (not only because he missed the PK). Owen didn't impress me that much, neither did any of England's midfielders, except for Lampard. The best player for England was certainly Campbell, as he kept shutting down Portugal.

But Portugal deserved to win this match. They attacked for 99% of the match, while England just sat back with two lines of uselessness. Rui Costa, Simao, Deco, C. Ronaldo, Helder Postiga all impressed me. They never gave up, and played absolutely stunning football the whole match, unlike England. And as I said before, Rui Costa would be the most important player for Portugal in gameplay, and he turned out to be with that fantastic strike. And Ricardo?! I have never seen anything like it. He's a fvcking hero. That guy has balls!

England IMO played a dumber style of catenaccio. They sat back in two lines with no depth, which is a formula for disaster. Without that depth, their defending for the match was rather useless, as seen in the France match, and as seen today. They simply set themselves up for failure. You can't expect to win with that type of tactic.

But congrats to Portugal, they deserved it today. Although England was rather unlucky, you know, shit happens in football. Stuff like that happens to every team. But I think the better side is going to the Semifinals.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

Terry is allowed to be there. His eyes were on the ball, the keeper went down. Its an obvious goal.

Sep 14, 2003
Oh boy,you should hear the English complain about it, funny that, after WC 2002 and all Italy's poor decisions, we were called sore losers.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Come on darling (mind if I call you that? - rhetorical question, I know you do :D ;) ), it was a clear fould, Terry prevented Ricardo from getting to the ball. England werent cheated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)