QF 1 | Portugal - England (6 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

Im easy.

And for people saying silly things like 'you want to hear the english complain'. We are dissappointed because an obvious goal was taken away. Who wouldnt be dissappointed.

When i say cheated. I dont literally mean there is a grand conspiracy. only Italians do that :rolleyes:

It was a referee mistake. A mistake which cost us.
But it wasn't a mistake. It was a good call and the right one for that matter.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Its also nice to see the immaturing and disrespect of some people that were given respect by everyone when Italy were knocked out. Assholes.
If you mean me, I'm just saying you shouldn't have criticised the Italians for being sore losers and now be a sore loser yourself.

But I'm not so sure whether it was a foul or not, I have to admit.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

But it wasn't a mistake. It was a good call and the right one for that matter.
The only conclusion i can come to to anyone who thinks that wasnt a goal. Is maybe in european leagues this is the case. In England this is a goal each and every time. Terry was not 'holding down the keeper' he was standing beside him with eyes on the ball. Campbell was holding Terry but whats wrong with that.

Anyways i guess thats my opinion. I cant be bothered to argue it.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++

If you mean me, I'm just saying you shouldn't have criticised the Italians for being sore losers and now be a sore loser yourself.

But I'm not so sure whether it was a foul or not, I have to admit.
No i mean people earlier in the thread. Like Stuart.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Quite funny, Beckham was right to complain about the penalty spot, they just showed on Dutch tv. Still, it was kicked badly.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

The only conclusion i can come to to anyone who thinks that wasnt a goal. Is maybe in european leagues this is the case. In England this is a goal each and every time. Terry was not 'holding down the keeper' he was standing beside him with eyes on the ball. Campbell was holding Terry but whats wrong with that.

Anyways i guess thats my opinion. I cant be bothered to argue it.
It doesn't matter if Terry was looking at the ball. What matters is that he made contact with Ricardo, which is nowadays called a foul.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
What we're saying I guess, tha, by the rules, the goal should have been dissallowed. And Terry wasnt just standing, his arm was on Ricardo's shoulder, clearly preventing him from jumping properly.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

He got shown a red card. In the quarterfinals of WC 1998 against Argentina. England lost on penalties. Everyone hated Beckham. Simeone later admitted he dived. Everyone hated Simeone. Everyone loved Beckham again. He was a hero. Dont these short sentances annoy you? Arent they annoying?
Actually everyone knew Simone dived. And Simone was just weak. Admitting he dived and blaming the referee just before a big CL game V ManU were he would have to face Becks. Even if he did dive, everyone would have went down.

People didnt love beckham when simone admitted it or something. We hated argentina and Beckham was still blamed. He was immature. He earned his 'love' back. Maybe now hes lost it again tho.

Sep 14, 2003
Before I get acused of being anti-English - I personally think the goal was valid. But they were poor tonight and Portugal were the better team.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

did you see? they had to patch it up after almost each PK. it was suncken!
Strange how only the English patched it up though. I wonder if they did it to protect Beckham?

River

Jun 15, 2004
Yes. Everyone says that.

But we did hold out, we did score a winner. And we even did great to come back into it in extra time. But still, someones gotta lose. its just dissappointing to see goals dissallowed like that.

On another note. The portugese players annoyed me in the shootout. Especially the goalkeeper, asking ref to check the ball was on the spot, pointing at the player, removing his gloves etc.

Ronaldo fainting a run up. That used to be illegal. And still should be.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yes. Everyone says that.

But we did hold out, we did score a winner. And we even did great to come back into it in extra But still, someones gotta lose. its just dissappointing to see goals dissallowed like that.

On another note. The portugese players annoyed me in the shootout. Especially the goalkeeper, asking ref to check the ball was on the spot, pointing at the player, removing his gloves etc.

Ronaldo fainting a run up. That used to be illegal. And still should be.
It still is. Does anyone remember Miccoli having to retake his penalty twice? And striking it in the same corner three trimes and scoring three times :D.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
The penalty spot was shown close up on TV. It had sunk about two-three inches. They explained that, as already said here, it has a sand base.
The previous night both teams had taken a full series of practice penalties and the spots at both sides failed due to the constant pressure from the standing foot of the players as they kicked. England put a complaint in last night (Wednesday) but it fell on deaf ears.

Suppose it was the same for both sides though, although if you go for power, you will be disadvantaged:down:

HOT NEWS....ROONEY HAS BROKEN HIS FOOT>>>OFFICIAL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)