Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (4 Viewers)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Good news, that's when it ought to be played imo; perfect weather conditions then.
That's one of the more important things for me. I liked France 98 and Germany 06 because almost every match was played in excellent weather conditions and the players could give their best.
I remember the really hot summer in Italy 1990 and the temperatures ~40 C. The players who had the bad luck to play the afternoon matches were dead in the 2nd half. In South Africa low temperatures and rain were a big problem on some matches. Brazil 2014 was a disaster weather wise.
The weather is a huge factor if you want a great world cup. The timing, though, is killing the Qatar world cup for me. November and December just don't sound right. Then again, better November with great weather than June in unplayable conditions.
Russia 2018, on the other hand, should be perfect. Right timing and great weather for a world cup.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
That's one of the more important things for me. I liked France 98 and Germany 06 because almost every match was played in excellent weather conditions and the players could give their best.
I remember the really hot summer in Italy 1990 and the temperatures ~40 C. The players who had the bad luck to play the afternoon matches were dead in the 2nd half. In South Africa low temperatures and rain were a big problem on some matches. Brazil 2014 was a disaster weather wise.
The weather is a huge factor if you want a great world cup. The timing, though, is killing the Qatar world cup for me. November and December just don't sound right. Then again, better November with great weather than June in unplayable conditions.
Russia 2018, on the other hand, should be perfect. Right timing and great weather for a world cup.
:tup:

I completely agree with you on the weather conditions and their effect on the quality of football. My first WC was 98, and along with 06 those were the two best WC's i watched. I understand people's reservations about the timing affecting the major European league schedules (even though I disagree that thats a reason not to hold a WC in a country ), but if we were to establish that the WC will be held in Qatar then there is no better time to schedule it.

In this part of the world the climate is unbearable for about 6-7 months a year, but it's absolutely perfect between November -February.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
:tup:

I completely agree with you on the weather conditions and their effect on the quality of football. My first WC was 98, and along with 06 those were the two best WC's i watched. I understand people's reservations about the timing affecting the major European league schedules (even though I disagree that thats a reason not to hold a WC in a country ), but if we were to establish that the WC will be held in Qatar then there is no better time to schedule it.

In this part of the world the climate is unbearable for about 6-7 months a year, but it's absolutely perfect between November -February.
But the upside of that is how we gonna probably see most of the players at their peak form, unlike in june/july when most of them are exhausted. Also for the first time England fans won't be able to complain how they can't win anything because EPL doesn't have a winter brake :D

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
German bribes to secure World Cup?
By Football Italia staff

Reports in Germany claim bribes were paid to FIFA members to allow the country to host the 2006 World Cup.

The tournament was awarded to Germany ahead of South Africa, in what was a surprise move, with Italy going on to win the tournament, beating France in the final.

Der Spiegel alleges that a slush fund was set up by the bidding committee, which was financed by then-Adidas CEO Robert Louis-Dreyfus, to the tune of around €9m.

Dreyfus, the magazine alleges, lent the money to the bidding committee, who never declared it in their budget.

The loan is said to have been used to secure the four votes belonging to Asian representatives on the 24-person FIFA Executive Committee.

All of the four voted for Germany, along with the European representatives, allowing the country to beat South Africa 12-11 after Charles Dempsey of New Zealand unexpectedly abstained from casting his vote.

Had he voted for South Africa, as expected, the 12-12 vote would have seen President Sepp Blatter make the decision, with the Swiss favouring South Africa.

When the time came for the loan to be repayed, Der Spiegel claims that FIFA helped to cover up the payment, with the Germans making a €6.7m contribution for an event at Berlin’s Olympic Stadium which was later cancelled.

The money was reportedly paid into a FIFA bank account, and then transferred to a Swiss account owned by Dreyfus.

The German Federation has acknowledged that it is possible that the payment was not used for the stated purpose, but deny that it was used to bribe FIFA officials.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Basically the story is that bribes were just FIFA's way of doing business no matter where. Sort of like getting a license for something in India. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)