Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (7 Viewers)

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
I don't believe that at all. Slave labor has been a problem in Qatar for many years. I remember seeing documentaries about this kind of stuff way before there was even talk of hosting the World Cup there. The least a FIFA official should have done is look into it.
Qatar, Dubai have been employing the same methods for decades.

If people really cared about slave labor/slavery they'd say something about what's happening in Mauritania, but there is no world cup at stake, so who cares :p

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I don't believe that at all. Slave labor has been a problem in Qatar for many years. I remember seeing documentaries about this kind of stuff way before there was even talk of hosting the World Cup there. The least a FIFA official should have done is look into it.
Yup, this is true. If they didn't know these practices were prevalent in Qatar beforehand, then they really didn't do their homework. Like I've always said, I want Qatar to host it, but something drastic has to be done with regards to treatment of labor, nobody in his right mind can condone that. I think if FIFA applied enough pressure, Qatar will comply, I mean they were willing to spend crazy amounts of money to build air conditioned stadiums at one point, they only need to spend a fraction of that to improve the conditions of workers,

I still maintain though, that taking the WC away from them is not a solution at all. I'm not too bothered though, because there is a small possibility that that will happen.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yup, this is true. If they didn't know these practices were prevalent in Qatar beforehand, then they really didn't do their homework. Like I've always said, I want Qatar to host it, but something drastic has to be done with regards to treatment of labor, nobody in his right mind can condone that. I think if FIFA applied enough pressure, Qatar will comply, I mean they were willing to spend crazy amounts of money to build air conditioned stadiums at one point, they only need to spend a fraction of that to improve the conditions of workers,

I still maintain though, that taking the WC away from them is not a solution at all. I'm not too bothered though, because there is a small possibility that that will happen.

I think it's almost certain they will take it away. The pressure is just too big. You'd end up with people demanding their country boycotts the thing and a lot of additional hatred towards FIFA. Sponsors would lose massive amounts of money. The way it stands now, no one gains from a World Cup in Qatar. Probably not even Qatar.

There is also still enough time to host it somewhere else.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I think it's almost certain they will take it away. The pressure is just too big. You'd end up with people demanding their country boycotts the thing and a lot of additional hatred towards FIFA. Sponsors would lose massive amounts of money. The way it stands now, no one gains from a World Cup in Qatar. Probably not even Qatar.

We'll see about that.

Mar 30, 2006

I think it is 100% gone.

No way they keep the tournament there with such bad publicity and such a dark cloud hanging over it.

Fifa and their sponsors will want to move it to give the appearance they have changed and are good now. If they leave it there it will be a shadow of their corruption that will stick to them over the next few years. The best way to make the public forget about this is to move it and put the debacle out of their minds.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
We'll see about that.
I just don't see how they'd manage to keep it there. I'm sure they'd try to exert legal pressure, but what do you really have when it becomes obvious there were bribes involved (and I think we can safely assume there were)? If that fails, they'll probably resort to blackmail, because of their economic role. But even with all that I doubt all the traditional World Cup sponsors could agree to it.

If it does happen, you'll get a very trimmed down version of what used to be a World Cup. Expect England, Belgium, Holland, Germany to pull out. As soon as they do, all UEFA countries will follow.Traditional sponsors will not be interested, because their name would be corrupted. Whether or not it would even be televised in the West remains to be seen, because which networks would want to be associated with it? So sure, you might have a "World Cup", but at what cost?

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is 100% gone.

No way they keep the tournament there with such bad publicity and such a dark cloud hanging over it.
So do I. There is no coming back from this.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
We'll see about that.
After the recent developments, I think Seven's right. Blatter would have never taken back the decision, but with him gone, and all the additional coverage and public pressure resulting from the past few days, I believe it will happen.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
The only problem I see is that Qatar will demand replacement for the damages but the solution is quite easy, the bribe money that FIFA received can work in pretty well for that.

Dec 31, 2008
the good thing which came from fifa awarding 2022 to qatar is that it put the spotlight on the terrible conditions of the construction workers in gcc cities with rapid infrastructure growth, which has been a silent issue right from the time of dubais development model which is being duplicated in doha right now.

the headlines are kinda misleading as they are telling that they died building for the world cup as world cup projects have commenced maybe 3-4 months back. the casualties have been here for a long time and the shocking fact is that the government never bothered to take action against the contractor companies who are directly involved in these atrocities. even now after all the uproar only promises have been made with minor changes.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Qatar, Dubai have been employing the same methods for decades.

If people really cared about slave labor/slavery they'd say something about what's happening in Mauritania, but there is no world cup at stake, so who cares :p
"L’esclavage, ah, mais non, nous sommes contre ! Qu’on soit contraint de l’installer chez soi, ou dans les usines, bon, c’est dans l’ordre des choses, mais s’en vanter, c’est le comble."

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The only problem I see is that Qatar will demand replacement for the damages but the solution is quite easy, the bribe money that FIFA received can work in pretty well for that.
If it is proven that bribes were used to have the World Cup assigned to them, Qatar would not be able to sue for damages IMO. Well, they could try, but they wouldn't have a strong case.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
everyone bribes, it's just that qatar are just way too in your face about it, wed rather have discreet bribes
Yes. It's the same with the human rights violations. Almost every country violates human rights to an extent. It's just that there's a difference between mild censorship and downright slavery.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Yes. It's the same with the human rights violations. Almost every country violates human rights to an extent. It's just that there's a difference between mild censorship and downright slavery.

what of textile factories in bangladesh, we all know about and most of still don nikes, like i said if it's behind closed doors our morality is somehow ok with it after about a 5 minute guilt trip

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
what of textile factories in bangladesh, we all know about and most of still don nikes, like i said if it's behind closed doors our morality is somehow ok with it after about a 5 minute guilt trip
Oh we all know about that. But Bangladesh is not organising the World Cup. And sure, maybe Bangladesh should be in the news more often. But you can't do something about everything all at once.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
If Prince Mohamed Ali becomes FIFA president is he really going to take a World Cup from Qatar? I can't see it.
I'll give you a name that IMO will surprise everyone in the next Fifa election and have a huge chance to win it too.

Sheikh Ahmad alfahad al Sabah, the guy is the reason why Asia elected platter and he was against prince Mohamed. Very charismatic guy like his father and he's one sneaky guy. Qatar have officially backed him for the Fifa upcoming election.

Remember his name, he'll surprise many out there. I'm 100% sure the Asians will vote for him in a majority plus many Africans. And he already guaranteed Qatar that they'll secure their bid for the WC. I don't like the guy (he's quiet curropted too) but he's got a huge influence out there.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I'll give you a name that IMO will surprise everyone in the next Fifa election and have a huge chance to win it too.

Sheikh Ahmad alfahad al Sabah, the guy is the reason why Asia elected platter and he was against prince Mohamed. Very charismatic guy like his father and he's one sneaky guy. Qatar have officially backed him for the Fifa upcoming election.

Remember his name, he'll surprise many out there. I'm 100% sure the Asians will vote for him in a majority plus many Africans. And he already guaranteed Qatar that they'll secure their bid for the WC. I don't like the guy (he's quiet curropted too) but he's got a huge influence out there.
The Kuwaiti guy who was the Sports minister or something for a while, right?

If so, I remember him, he is indeed quite charismatic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)