Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (6 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Doesn't the fact that their bid was accepted based on the WC being played in the summer, for it to then be changed to the winter, spell corruption to you?
More comedy incompetence than corruption in that specific example.

I never presume conspiracy where incompetence suffices as an explanation.

You hate the effect but you're okay with the cause.

Qatari bid was all money because the country can't bring anything else to the table.
Qatari bid was all money because their footballing culture is made of basement dwelling EPL bandwagoners. Qatar could not include a clip of 80.000 ppl attending a league game in their application.
Qatari bid was all money because FIFA would never agree hosting a World Cup in that climate otherwise. Qatar could not include a clip of footballers playing a game at 45°C.
And Barca's Qatari Foundation? ;)

I'm not saying I'm a fan of the Qatari bid, but if you're gonna gripe -- do so for legit reasons and not whiny "It's not like football in my back yard" reasons on the global stage.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

And Barca's Qatari Foundation? ;)

I'm not saying I'm a fan of the Qatari bid, but if you're gonna gripe -- do so for legit reasons and not whiny "It's not like football in my back yard" reasons on the global stage.
But that would be worthy. If you are a world sport, who are you to ban portions of the world from play where humanity already lives, breathes, works, and dies?

If your players aren't conditioned to play there, either forfeit or play the players on your team that can hack it.

Otherwise we should be holding every football match in a covered dome with 22-degree air conditioned comfort and 67% humidity at 100m above sea level. That's absurd.
My point is that how a local footballing culture enjoys the sport doesn't necessarily dictate how a World Cup is hosted. Andries was making the point that it should be played as originally designed, on grassy fields. But good luck finding those in Africa, for instance.

If nations can put a pitch in the desert, on a mountain, or on islands near the sea where they can play the game, there's no reason to be grassholes about it.

Golf would have never left Scotland if that was the criteria.
You play in November in Qatar and it's no big deal. To presume the whole world has to revolve around the seasons of the northern hemisphere is completely ethnocentric. You're either a World Cup or a Half a World Cup.

And I don't know of any sherpas playing atop Everest or football leagues under the water.

Hate the Qatari bid because of money and influence. But arguments about weather during the northern hemisphere summer months or a "history of footballing culture" are red herrings.
:tup:

Nov 17, 2012
That's one of my main gripes. Every single bidding nation put forward their claim under the proviso that it would be a World Cup tournament in June (like almost every other WC ever held)...and now Fifa conveniently changed their rules to suit the Qatar bid. The corruption is so blatant that it's almost laughable.
That for me, and I would assume most people, is one of the biggest gripe! :tup: It was a bid issues under completely false pretences and had the rules changed after having been allocated the tournament; it is beyond ludicrous!

Or should I say, beyond Ludacris..

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
people are still defending this obviously bought world cup :howler: its just getting desperate now.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you saying the Qataris forgot/ FIFA didn't have an idea how hot it gets there before the bid was accepted. Come on now. :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You know what? Fine. Have your World Cup. Be okay with bribes. Build stadiums that will be deserted by 2025. Let thousands die in the process. Use slaves. Whatever. I'm not watching any of your bullshit and quite frankly at the rate this is going I doubt many national teams are even going to show up.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Doesn't the fact that their bid was accepted based on the WC being played in the summer, for it to then be changed to the winter, spell corruption to you?
This. And only this argument should have disqualified them. If it's a winter WC,there should have been a rebidding process. Where everyobody offers winter wc, or Qatar competes with their winter WC agaisnt normal times. The way it was done now is so fucked up that it should have been stripped immediatly.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
people are still defending this obviously bought world cup :howler: its just getting desperate now.
The only one actually defending the Qatari WC is Fred. Swag is just pointing out that one of the reasons for opposing them hosting the tournament isn't very valid, that doesn't nullify all the other, much much more important arguments against it.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
If you cancel the world cup now then all these slaves died for nothing. Qatar should host the world cup for the slaves' suffering to have a purpose.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The only one actually defending the Qatari WC is Fred. Swag is just pointing out that one of the reasons for opposing them hosting the tournament isn't very valid, that doesn't nullify all the other, much much more important arguments against it.
The lone voice of reason.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Are you saying the Qataris forgot/ FIFA didn't have an idea how hot it gets there before the bid was accepted. Come on now. :D
I think it was a rushed oversight, a secondary detail. If it truly was a selection criteria for FIFA, Qatar should have never made it to the nomination stage to begin with.

Some may have thought Qatar would a/c the whole country. Others may have thought political resistance to the heat or to the winter could be overcome by design once awarded -- and the precedent for things like splitting a cohosted WC in 2002.

Have you seen some of these FIFA voters? They're politicians and not engineers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)