Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (9 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Well... One of my main issues is that Qatar is bad... Just like I would find really weird winter world cup held in congo jungle...
Ya, but you can't compare it to Winter Olympics or something like that. Nothing other than tradition and the European footballing schedule is the reason why it's usually held in the summer. Qatar is perfectly capable of organizing an amazing WC in November-February.

Anyway, the bolded is just your opinion, and you know what they say about opinions :p , thankfully the selection committee don't agree with you.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Ya, but you can't compare it to Winter Olympics or something like that. Nothing other than tradition and the European footballing schedule is the reason why it's usually held in the summer. Qatar is perfectly capable of organizing an amazing WC in November-February.
It's the desert, Fred. Are you telling me the circumstances in November are ideal?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Well it's obviously not natural, but what do you think Doha looks like, you really think you'd see sand in the city?

Hm. But why would you organise a sport in a country that is clearly not suited for it? Football is played on grass. There is no grass in Qatar. You could host the icehockey World Cup in Congo. All you need is artificial ice. There is no real reason not to. Other than the fact it's just stupid.

The only reason this World Cup will be played in Qatar is money.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Hm. But why would you organise a sport in a country that is clearly not suited for it? Football is played on grass. There is no grass in Qatar. You could host the icehockey World Cup in Congo. All you need is artificial ice. There is no real reason not to. Other than the fact it's just stupid.

The only reason this World Cup will be played in Qatar is money.
The grass in the stadiums is more than good enough, you don't need to worry about that at all.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The grass in the stadiums is more than good enough, you don't need to worry about that at all.
Let me ask you this: do you think that Qatar has anything more to offer than pure, hard cash? Was there anything more to Qatar's bid than money? And I'm not talking about constructions or cities or whatever. I'm not talking about things that can be built with money.

Because the way I see it there is nothing there.

Oh, and I'm sure we could provide Congo with perfect ice. Still stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

*silence

Raz

Nov 20, 2005

Anyway, the bolded is just your opinion, and you know what they say about opinions :p , thankfully the selection committee don't agree with you.
Things like "thankfully the selection committee don't agree with you" comments are like seeing different person commenting on this and on any other subject from you.

You have to be kidding to be so happy and supportive of that corruption.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Let me ask you this: do you think that Qatar has anything more to offer than pure, hard cash? Was there anything more to Qatar's bid than money? And I'm not talking about constructions or cities or whatever. I'm not talking about things that can be built with money.

Because the way I see it there is nothing there.

Oh, and I'm sure we could provide Congo with perfect ice. Still stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

*silence
Sure, Qatar is all about da money. Whose money do you think is funding half of club football these days?

But what does, say, England have to other than pasty fat fooks who drink copious amounts of beer and trash local businesses after matches?

I keep reading headlines in Brit papers now saying, "We'll host 2022!" and all I can think is STFU. We get England crammed down our football throats every year as it is.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Sure, Qatar is all about da money.

But what does, say, England have to other than pasty fat fooks who drink copious amounts of beer and trash local businesses after matches?

I keep reading headlines in Brit papers now saying, "We'll host 2022!" and all I can think is STFU. We get England crammed down our football throats every year as it is.
It obviously has an entire atmosphere to offer as it has a rich football culture - that is also why Brazil was such a nice location. England also already has stadiums so not everything has to be built from scratch. England also has actual football clubs that could use the stadiums afterwards.

Fact is Qatar offered money. Because they have nothing else. Surely that's not what a good bid should be all about?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
But honestly, what does "rich football culture" really have to do with hosting a world football tournament? Especially when many of the world's strongest football cultures have hosted the thing at least once if not multiple times.

The US held a pretty decent WC in '94.

The World Cup isn't some cultural masturbation exercise. It's about spreading the sport and internationalizing it ... not just jacking off the people who already go to matches every weekend.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
But honestly, what does "rich football culture" really have to do with hosting a world football tournament? Especially when many of the world's strongest football cultures have hosted the thing at least once if not multiple times.

The US held a pretty decent WC in '94.

The World Cup isn't some cultural masturbation exercise. It's about spreading the sport and internationalizing it ... not just jacking off the people who already go to matches every weekend.
Yes. And you know what the US is? A large country with many inhabitants and a climate suitable for football.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
But the US, especially in '94, was far from anything the world would consider "a footballing culture".
Yes. And that was a bit of a downside. Although you could argue that it was about time football was introduced there. I'm not saying every condition has to be perfect. But there are at least four or five arguments that go against holding it in Qatar and the only reason to have it there is money.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I definitely get that.

What I don't understand is this mentality that we must celebrate the world's game and its diversity by never wanting to get off the couch for a World Cup.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I definitely get that.

What I don't understand is this mentality that we must celebrate the world's game and its diversity by never wanting to get off the couch for a World Cup.
Couldn't care less about that to be honest. Last two World Cups were in South Africa and Brazil and thus out of my league financially. But it is what it is. If it made any sense to have it in Qatar, I wouldn't be against it just because it's in Qatar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)