Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (2 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
For me the fact alone that its not a suitable climate to play in, is enough.

Wich brazil was allready borderlining. In south korea everyone had sortha the same weather
In brazil you had easy going climate, and the horror of the rainforrest

In qatar, no one wants to play football in that, and i can see players collapsing on the field

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

Wich brazil was allready borderlining. In south korea everyone had sortha the same weather

In qatar, no one wants to play football in that, and i can see players collapsing on the field
Without exceptions, though, this smacks of regionalism. For example, how FIFA once essentially declared that Ecuador, Bolivia, etc. could not host any international matches because the altitude was too high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_football_controversy

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Without exceptions, though, this smacks of regionalism. For example, how FIFA once essentially declared that Ecuador, Bolivia, etc. could not host any international matches because the altitude was too high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_football_controversy
That was a completely unfair advantage though. A little bit of rain or heat can favour a certain team. Altitude can prevent an opposing team from playing altogether.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
That was a completely unfair advantage though. A little bit of rain or heat can favour a certain team. Altitude can prevent an opposing team from playing altogether.
Home field advantage. It's not Bolivia's fault that they live in a place where the rest of the world feels is inhospitable.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Home field advantage. It's not Bolivia's fault that they live in a place where the rest of the world feels is inhospitable.
That way Nepal could field a team of sherpas and play at 7,000 metres. I wonder how Germany would perform against them.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
That way Nepal could field a team of sherpas and play at 7,000 metres. I wonder how Germany would perform against them.
But that would be worthy. If you are a world sport, who are you to ban portions of the world from play where humanity already lives, breathes, works, and dies?

If your players aren't conditioned to play there, either forfeit or play the players on your team that can hack it.

Otherwise we should be holding every football match in a covered dome with 22-degree air conditioned comfort and 67% humidity at 100m above sea level. That's absurd.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
But that would be worthy. If you are a world sport, who are you to ban portions of the world from play where humanity already lives, breathes, works, and dies?

If your players aren't conditioned to play there, either forfeit or play the players on your team that can hack it.

Otherwise we should be holding every football match in a covered dome with 22-degree air conditioned comfort and 67% humidity at 100m above sea level. That's absurd.
No. Absurd is wanting to play football in the most extreme places. It was developed to be played on grassy fields. Sure, it's a global sport now. But that doesn't mean we have to play it in the desert, on mountains and at sea.

There are wide ranges within which it can be played though.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, I'm with Fred here. The conditions are pretty decent in November actually, so that argument is only partly effective.

There are a few much more important reasons as to why Qatar shouldn't have been given the WC though.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
No. Absurd is wanting to play football in the most extreme places. It was developed to be played on grassy fields. Sure, it's a global sport now. But that doesn't mean we have to play it in the desert, on mountains and at sea.

There are wide ranges within which it can be played though.
Many Brazilians play it on asphalt.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
My point is that how a local footballing culture enjoys the sport doesn't necessarily dictate how a World Cup is hosted. Andries was making the point that it should be played as originally designed, on grassy fields. But good luck finding those in Africa, for instance.

If nations can put a pitch in the desert, on a mountain, or on islands near the sea where they can play the game, there's no reason to be grassholes about it.

Golf would have never left Scotland if that was the criteria.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
It should not be played on mount everest or on the sea though too. There is a middle ground in this argument. The thing is that Qatar is unnacceptable on many levels. And his argument that it offered money and nothing else and that's why they won it is true. Qatar WC is a terrible example and big fuck you to everybody.

And what is worse that they are not even trying to conceal stuff - won "best bid" for summer WC, just change to Winter, what the hell is that? This is not even remotely fair on sooo many levels.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
You play in November in Qatar and it's no big deal. To presume the whole world has to revolve around the seasons of the northern hemisphere is completely ethnocentric. You're either a World Cup or a Half a World Cup.

And I don't know of any sherpas playing atop Everest or football leagues under the water.

Hate the Qatari bid because of money and influence. But arguments about weather during the northern hemisphere summer months or a "history of footballing culture" are red herrings.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
You play in November in Qatar and it's no big deal. To presume the whole world has to revolve around the seasons of the northern hemisphere is completely ethnocentric. You're either a World Cup or a Half a World Cup.

And I don't know of any sherpas playing atop Everest or football leagues under the water.

Hate the Qatari bid because of money and influence. But arguments about weather during the northern hemisphere summer months or a "history of footballing culture" are red herrings.
Doesn't the fact that their bid was accepted based on the WC being played in the summer, for it to then be changed to the winter, spell corruption to you?

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Hate the Qatari bid because of money and influence.
But arguments about weather during the northern hemisphere summer months or a "history of footballing culture" are red herrings.
You hate the effect but you're okay with the cause.

Qatari bid was all money because the country can't bring anything else to the table.
Qatari bid was all money because their footballing culture is made of basement dwelling EPL bandwagoners. Qatar could not include a clip of 80.000 ppl attending a league game in their application.
Qatari bid was all money because FIFA would never agree hosting a World Cup in that climate otherwise. Qatar could not include a clip of footballers playing a game at 45°C.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Doesn't the fact that their bid was accepted based on the WC being played in the summer, for it to then be changed to the winter, spell corruption to you?
That's one of my main gripes. Every single bidding nation put forward their claim under the proviso that it would be a World Cup tournament in June (like almost every other WC ever held)...and now Fifa conveniently changed their rules to suit the Qatar bid. The corruption is so blatant that it's almost laughable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)