Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (1 Viewer)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Not everything that matters is measurable. Not to mention that the country depends on an energy source that is likely to become irrelevant within decades.
youd still live in qatar ahead of bulgaria, but that is no the point. the point is why is the WC organized in and world football dates switched upside down to accommodate a non-footballing neighborhood in the desert, to put it in perspective they represent about .004% of the world population.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
youd still live in qatar ahead of bulgaria, but that is no the point. the point is why is the WC organized in and world football dates switched upside down to accommodate a non-footballing neighborhood in the desert, to put it in perspective they represent about .004% of the world population.
I agree that is the point, but Fred insists on telling everyone what a great place Qatar is, so I guess he'll like to know that it won't be for that much longer. As for the actual debate his bias is understandable. It saddens me that his Arab rich boy mentality is so strong though. Even if he comes across as intelligent his real life experience is severely lacking and now it shows.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They have, better infrastructure, they have a better economy than your country, they have a much higher standard of living, there is less unemployment, more opportunities, there is less corruption than your backward country, it is a much more attractive country for foreign investors, they have a less infant mortality rate, it is in general more attractive for foreign expats to live and work in. I could go on all day.
More slaves too! Beat them in every way.

http://m.hrw.org/middle-eastn-africa/qatar

But it doesn't matter. Because Fred lives in a nice mansion and the standard of living is high for part of the population.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I doubt it, he's not an Emirati and he probably lives in a 50 story building, am I right @Fred ?
Actually you're wrong. At least for the timebeing :D

Not rich and don't live in a mansion either, so Seven is wrong too.

Oh and Seven, you are as biased as I am if not more btw. I brought you facts, you bring me speculation. Who knows, Qatar might diversify their economy enough by the time oil and gas become less prevalent.

I'm bored of this discussion though, Qatar will host the WC, find a way to live with it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Actually you're wrong. At least for the timebeing :D

Not rich and don't live in a mansion either, so Seven is wrong too.

Oh and Seven, you are as biased as I am if not more btw. I brought you facts, you bring me speculation. Who knows, Qatar might diversify their economy enough by the time oil and gas become less prevalent.

I'm bored of this discussion though, Qatar will host the WC, find a way to live with it.
They won't. 2022 is a long time from now. You won't have your bought World Cup and you won't have to buy a national team either. This will never happen.

Also, no response to the slave issue? Really? What other developed prosperous nation has slaves? And what does that mean for the standard of living? Are we counting the migrant workers too or are they subhuman and irrelevant? You disgust me. Especially because you're not stupid.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Let Algeria/Morocco or Turkey host the world cup, they'd be fantastic host for such an event.
Algeria? :D

I love em, and half my friends are Algerian. But I think they'd be the first to tell you that their country wouldn't be able to host such a tournament. They have problems with hooliganism, their infrastructure is not good enough, neither are their stadiums.

Morocco however :tup:

Of course Turkey would be great too. UAE would have done an amazing job, but I'm sure Qatar won't do too bad themselves. I'm sure 2022 would be an amazing event :tup:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Algeria? :D

I love em, and half my friends are Algerian. But I think they'd be the first to tell you that their country wouldn't be able to host such a tournament. They have problems with hooliganism, their infrastructure is not good enough, neither are their stadiums.

Morocco however :tup:

Of course Turkey would be great too. UAE would have done an amazing job, but I'm sure Qatar won't do too bad themselves. I'm sure 2022 would be an amazing event :tup:
So...what is your opinion on the documented use of slave labor/ 80% of population of qatar being migrant workers situation though and how it relates to this upcoming WC with qatar as a host country?

i'm not trying to single you out here. but i know you that you have a vastly different opinion on this WC than me and probably a lot to say :D.

Again, not trying to pick on you. I am asking you because the question has been raised and , despite our difference in view points, I have a lot of respect for your opinion.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
So...what is your opinion on the documented use of slave labor/ 80% of population of qatar being migrant workers situation though and how it relates to this upcoming WC with qatar as a host country?

i'm not trying to single you out here. but i know you that you have a vastly different opinion on this WC than me and probably a lot to say :D.

Again, not trying to pick on you. I am asking you because the question has been raised and , despite our difference in view points, I have a lot of respect for your opinion.
I think it's terrible, its not acceptable at all. I agree with what Ocelot and Hist said a few pages ago though, I don't think it's wise to take the WC away from them because you wouldn't be able to know where you can draw a definitive line. Because if that's your criteria, then what do you do with countries who violate human rights outside their borders, ala the biggest culprit the US. Is that ok, just because they don't do it within their borders. Arguably what the US has done in countries like Iraq and Afghanistan is a lot worse than Qatar's labor problems.

I do not condone it whatsoever though, it's unacceptable in this day and age to have labour being treated the way they are in Qatar. I think some media outlets exaggerate what goes on there though, that's for sure, I also tried to explain that it's not fair to compare relatively new countries like Qatar to developed western countries. It's an evolutionary process IMO, a prime example is, look at countries like the US 60+ years ago, black people were second class citizens then.

So my opinion in a nutshell, is Qatar deserves to host the WC, and I see no problem whatsoever in moving it to the Winter.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think it's terrible, its not acceptable at all. I agree with what Ocelot and Hist said a few pages ago though, I don't think it's wise to take the WC away from them because you wouldn't be able to know where you can draw a definitive line. Because if that's your criteria, then what do you do with countries who violate human rights outside their borders, ala the biggest culprit the US. Is that ok, just because they don't do it within their borders. Arguably what the US has done in countries like Iraq and Afghanistan is a lot worse than Qatar's labor problems.

I do not condone it whatsoever though, it's unacceptable in this day and age to have labour being treated the way they are in Qatar. I think some media outlets exaggerate what goes on there though, that's for sure, I also tried to explain that it's not fair to compare relatively new countries like Qatar to developed western countries. It's an evolutionary process IMO, a prime example is, look at countries like the US 60+ years ago, black people were second class citizens then.

So my opinion in a nutshell, is Qatar deserves to host the WC, and I see no problem whatsoever in moving it to the Winter.
The difference is that the violations by the USA are difficult to prove. I do not doubt that they are there, but they are more in a grey zone. Outright slavery on a large scale is such a massieve violation that one cannot close his eyes. Torturing an alleged terrorist is also different because in this case the violation, the slavery is actually part of constructing the world cup stadiums. Also you make fun of Bulgaria, but if they could use slaves their infrastructure would be good too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)