Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (7 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Because usually he hasn't done work in countries that are accused of slave labour. If you are accused of such a thing it isn't particularly prudent to hire a contractor whose father, who bore the same name FFS, was known for constructing megalomaniac projects with slaves. It is exactly this type of lack of any common decency whatsoever that annoys me when it comes to Qatar.
But that's your definition of common decency. I know nothing about the son's political affiliations(if any) or views, but in principle, I do not think he should pay for who is father was, I think we can agree on that. Secondly, he's done work for Germany's Olympic bids ffs, the most sensitive country when it comes to nazi crimes, the country who even has a couple of laws motivated by their guilt trip, I mean if they hired him without it causing any uproar(as far as I'm aware), I don't see why it would cause any uproar in Qatar's case. Thirdly, Qatar's treatment of unskilled labor is obviously wrong and should never be condoned, but I don't see it as having anything to do with their hiring of Albert Speer, IMO they are two separate issues, one of those issues I see nothing wrong with tbh.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
But that's your definition of common decency. I know nothing about the son's political affiliations(if any) or views, but in principle, I do not think he should pay for who is father was, I think we can agree on that. Secondly, he's done work for Germany's Olympic bids ffs, the most sensitive country when it comes to nazi crimes, the country who even has a couple of laws motivated by their guilt trip, I mean if they hired him without it causing any uproar(as far as I'm aware), I don't see why it would cause any uproar in Qatar's case. Thirdly, Qatar's treatment of unskilled labor is obviously wrong and should never be condoned, but I don't see it as having anything to do with their hiring of Albert Speer, IMO they are two separate issues, one of those issues I see nothing wrong with tbh.

This isn't about Albert Speer, the son. It's about how it reflects on Qatar. If you have an issue with forced labour and you hire a man named Albert Speer it shows that you do not give a fuck. And Qatar doesn't. It really doesn't. Because this thing about forced labour goes back to way before the World Cup was ever given to Qatar. But even if the money is obviously there, no action is undertaken to change the dire situation of these workers.

Not only does the use of forced labour give Qatar an unfair advantage over competition, it is also a bridge too far to show football to the world in stadiums that were actually built with forced labour.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
"There are also suspicions of money laundering through Swiss bank accounts (Article 305bis, SCC). Subsequently to today's seizure of files, the OAG and the Swiss Federal Criminal Police will be questioning 10 persons who took part in voting on the allocation of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups as members of the Executive Committee in 2010.

"These persons should be questioned as persons providing information."

Uh oh :scared:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
"There are also suspicions of money laundering through Swiss bank accounts (Article 305bis, SCC). Subsequently to today's seizure of files, the OAG and the Swiss Federal Criminal Police will be questioning 10 persons who took part in voting on the allocation of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups as members of the Executive Committee in 2010.

"These persons should be questioned as persons providing information."

Uh oh :scared:
The funniest part of the 2022 World Cup allocation has to be that we know Blatter did not vote for Qatar. Because Blatter is evil personified the people under him get away with murder. Or almost got away.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are they even using forced labor when they whipe their asses with money?
Because that's one of the reasons they can wipe their asses with money. Moronically big buildings tend to be expensive when you have to pay the people that build them.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Because that's one of the reasons they can wipe their asses with money. Moronically big buildings tend to be expensive when you have to pay the people that build them.
Maybe, but still they have so much money from resources... You would think they would have at least a bit decency, considering they were these same poor people just a couple of decades ago.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
And I don't get it, how Fred, who seems like a smart man from his posts can agree with qatar wc... I know the affiliation and all that, but still, that's messed up.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
And I don't get it, how Fred, who seems like a smart man from his posts can agree with qatar wc... I know the affiliation and all that, but still, that's messed up.
Living in a place does brainwash you to a certain extent. For example I have always been led to believe Belgium has an incredible healthcare system. Perhaps we do. Perhaps we don't. I just wouldn't know. But it wouldn't be easy to shake this belief.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
True, but he's the only one who thinks Qatar are entitled to this World Cup. I'm not sure he even still believes that today, but after all this it's hard to change his opinion publicly.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
It also mentions world cup bids, though it doesn't stress on that point as much as what you mentioned. Obviously the vultures here are not interested in any of that, as much as they are interested in the idea of Qatar losing the hosting rights. Feckin Europeans that they are :D
It concerns the world cup bids from Russia and Qatar.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Is it me or is it unlikely that the 2022 World Cup will be actually held in Qatar?
FIFA are a law unto themselves, so unless Blatter dies or is arrested and there is a significant change then I think they'll hold firm. But a lot of Nepalese peasants will fall off skyscrapers between now and 2022, so anything can happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)