Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (4 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I know it was originally a desert, but how is that relevant in a city like Dubai when you barely ever see any sand?

Also your analogy about Brussels is a meaningless one, Qatar is going to host the WC, it's been decided, Belgium hasn't, or at least not yet.

I'm saying you just want it there. That's the only reason you really have in favour of Qatar.

How is it relevant that it is a desert? A desert is a barren, uninhabitable place. Maybe not ideal for a game of football.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Well if you look at how this WC ended up there and especially in winter and you support it then I have no idea what would you not like in their regular day bussines, corruption is what you are supporting for the sole purpiose that arab country could host WC, ironic a bit.
I don't like how they elect their leadership, or how they choose the hosting country for the WC. But the way they chose Qatar was the same way they chose Germany, if you didn't whine then, then you shouldn't whine now.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I'm saying you just want it there. That's the only reason you really have in favour of Qatar.

How is it relevant that it is a desert? A desert is a barren, uninhabitable place. Maybe not ideal for a game of football.
and you don't want it there, that's the only reason you are not in favor of Qatar.

If it's an uninhabitable place then how come both countries are full of expats including those who come from developed western countries. Some of them live here for a very long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Smilies, and one liners.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
and you don't want it there, that's the only reason you are not in favor of Qatar.

If it's an uninhabitable place then how come both countries are full of expats including those who come from developed western countries. Some of them live here for a very long time.
No, Fred. It is not the only reason. But I think it's best we stop this discussion here, because clearly you are completely irrational about this subject. Your second paragraph is just wow. Of course we can make it inhabitable. We could live on the moon if we really wanted to. Doesn't mean it's ideal or even okay for human beings.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
No, Fred. It is not the only reason. But I think it's best we stop this discussion here, because clearly you are completely irrational about this subject. Your second paragraph is just wow. Of course we can make it inhabitable. We could live on the moon if we really wanted to. Doesn't mean it's ideal or even okay for human beings.
I've lived here and I've lived in the UK. I like it here better. So do many people, including British people, who shape the majority of non Asian, non Arab expats.

As for me being irrational, I think the same of your opinion about Dubai.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I've lived here and I've lived in the UK. I like it here better. So do many people, including British people, who shape the majority of non Asian, non Arab expats.

As for me being irrational, I think the same of your opinion about Dubai.
Yes, but that's hardly the point.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I don't like how they elect their leadership, or how they choose the hosting country for the WC. But the way they chose Qatar was the same way they chose Germany, if you didn't whine then, then you shouldn't whine now.
There are three points to consider:
1) Qatar has more then enough money to host a world class world cup experience. They'll probably do a very good job.

2) Even if the process is legitimate, we can still express disagreement with the pick be it germany or Qatar.

3) If they want to shit on Qatar as a state, labor conditions are the tip of the ice berg. You can write books about how messed up their foreign policy is with regards to their backing of the muslim brotherhood, their backing of ISIS in Egypt's Sinai, their oppression of freedom of speech in Qatar, their lack of a democratic system, their immigration policy, their laws against blasphemy and against homosexuality and so on. None of those are relevant to football ofcoarse.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
and if all that isn't bad enough, I just read that the Qatari's are on the verge of bankrolling a deal for the acquisition of Pogba. They're bringing him back home to Paris :D

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
People can live perfectly fine in Qatar. The question is whether the climate is suitable for a football WC, and Fifa seems to agree that this is at least not the case in summer. Which is no problem really, as given there's enough time for all major leagues to adjust beforehand, a WC can of course also be hosted in the winter of the northern hemisphere.

What's much more of a legitimate concern are the human rights violation and despiccable labor conditions, but of course it's extremely difficult where to draw the line here. Brazil had some of the same problems, just to a much lesser extent, and let's not even begin to talk about the WC in Latin American dictatorships in the 70es and 80es.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
http://www.ituc-csi.org/IMG/pdf/survey_ra_2014_eng_v2.pdf

Go to page 31.

The Ukraine is worse than Qatar. Greece, Turkey and most importantly south korea are equally ranked as Qatar. The US is rated just higher than the aforementioned 3.

Again, all the fuzz about Qatar is mostly down to politics within Fifa. You didnt hear it when the Ukraine hosted Euro 2012 or when Korea hosted the world cup.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Go to page 31.

The Ukraine is worse than Qatar. Greece, Turkey and most importantly south korea are equally ranked as Qatar. The US is rated just higher than the aforementioned 3.

Again, all the fuzz about Qatar is mostly down to politics within Fifa. You didnt hear it when the Ukraine hosted Euro 2012 or when Korea hosted the world cup.
Actually you did.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Well you didn't, because the bidding process for a European Championship doesn't go through FIFA. And besides, the situation in Ukraine is quite different in 2014 as to when it was awarded in 2007, they are talking about regionalised militia erring trade unionists.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
But there were enough reports of unpaid labor and bad conditions ahead of basically every cup except 2008 maybe. The reason behind the lack of acceptance for Qatar is a different one. The publicity wants the WC to be held in a footballing country. Ukraine, Russia, Turkey, Greece and Japan to some degree are crazy about football. People would look away in favour of what they considered would become a great football event.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
But there were enough reports of unpaid labor and bad conditions ahead of basically every cup except 2008 maybe. The reason behind the lack of acceptance for Qatar is a different one. The publicity wants the WC to be held in a footballing country. Ukraine, Russia, Turkey, Greece and Japan to some degree are crazy about football. People would look away in favour of what they considered would become a great football event.
:touched:

But in general, this is exactly the problem. You can't categorically exclude countries due to exploitations of workers or human rights violations, as otherwise the WC would be hosted in maybe a few select European countries + US & Canada. And even there you'd certainly find some problems.

So the question has to be what degree of human rights violations is acceptable - and that is extremely difficult to determine.

Jul 13, 2010

Go to page 31.

the higher the rating the more often worker rights are violated? Lithuania among the best :touched: come here, visit Lithuania, we will let you be on vacation as much as you all want hehe

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
:touched:

But in general, this is exactly the problem. You can't categorically exclude countries due to exploitations of workers or human rights violations, as otherwise the WC would be hosted in maybe a few select European countries + US & Canada. And even there you'd certainly find some problems.

So the question has to be what degree of human rights violations is acceptable - and that is extremely difficult to determine.

Yes. It is difficult. And the FIFA has now made slavery acceptable.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Well you didn't, because the bidding process for a European Championship doesn't go through FIFA. And besides, the situation in Ukraine is quite different in 2014 as to when it was awarded in 2007, they are talking about regionalised militia erring trade unionists.
They almost took it away from Ukraine. But if people seriously believe that, what's going on in Quatar, is same as in most Western countries, they know shit. Which is coming from me, who knows poop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)