Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (38 Viewers)

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Yes. The US and the UK have committed atrocities. I'm not denying that at all. But don't you see how using slaves to construct the very stadium the World Cup is held in is on a completely other level? It's not even just condoning human rights violations, it's actually violating them to make the World Cup possible.

And that you would even have to go all "The USA do it too" to defend your argument is just pathetic.
Again world cup or no world cup this is the way Qatar is. The world cup's stadiums are one more construction project amongst many. They aren't doing a special slave camp for the world cup.

Moreover, there is absolutely no evidence to my knowledge that the construction that will be made for the worldcup will be carried out by "slave labor". The companies doing the construction will very likely be Western or Asian 1st tier companies that have much higher standards than the average construction company and it is not the case that all who work in construction are slaves. To my knowledge, these construction workers are usually hired through immigration offices in their native countries in exchange for money and a part of their monthly salary throughout their contract. They do live in horrible compounds and so on but they are not slaves, its what they can afford at the salaries they have agreed to. Now there are cases where they get into a disagreement with the immigration office that brought them and they are extorted into paying money to the office to get back their passports but that is not the normal case.

Finally, these slaves work just as much for western companies as they do for qatari owned companies in qatar. If you are in economic, military and political alliances with Qatar and directly invest in their economy, form partnerships and so on, then don't pretend that the world should be any more exceptionally moral then the rest of the shady shit.

On a side note, the west profits from this and has always stood behind dictators and kings that did this and much worse acts. The focus on labor in qatar is world cup politics.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They do live in horrible compounds and so on but they are not slaves, its what they can afford at the salaries they have agreed to. Now there are cases where they get into a disagreement with the immigration office that brought them and they are extorted into paying money to the office to get back their passports but that is not the normal case.
But why host it there if you could easily host it in a country with better labour conditions and a climate that is actually suited to play football in?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Don't be so happy just yet, because there as much chance for this WC to be played elsewhere.
Yes. This World Cup will not take place in Qatar.
Wishful thinking guys.

- - - Updated - - -

When an organization is more powerful than the vast majority of countries, it IS responsible for the world's ills. FIFA has been held unaccountable for far too long.

- - - Updated - - -

Did I say they lived in tents? Did I say their standard of living was low? I said Qatar is the fucking desert. How is this untrue?

From Wikipedia: "Most of the country consists of a low, barren plain, covered with sand." - to me that sounds like a desert. Clearly the desert is not a good place to play football. We could theoretically play it on Antarctica too, but why would we?
They won't play it in "low, barren plains that are covered with sand" don't worry about that. They'll play the games in very good stadiums that will be built for the sole purpose of the WC.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They won't play it in "low, barren plains that are covered with sand" don't worry about that. They'll play the games in very good stadiums that will be built for the sole purpose of the WC.
Yes. 50 000 seat stadiums in the desert. Which will be used for a month. Frankly I'm glad that the likes of Dubai and Qatar are set to implode within 10 to 20 years, because it's some of the very worst humanity has ever shown.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
By the time it's 2022, Qatar will own or influence some more major European clubs. They'll bend over backwards when Qatar threatens to pull sponsorship of Barcelona and the likes. Let's be real guys, it's all about the money. And it has been for decades now. So unless Qatar suddenly becomes bankrupt, there is no chance they are losing this world cup.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
icemaη;4913564 said:
By the time it's 2022, Qatar will own or influence some more major European clubs. They'll bend over backwards when Qatar threatens to pull sponsorship of Barcelona and the likes. Let's be real guys, it's all about the money. And it has been for decades now. So unless Qatar suddenly becomes bankrupt, there is no chance they are losing this world cup.
Which, in all honesty, is very likely.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Yes. 50 000 seat stadiums in the desert. Which will be used for a month. Frankly I'm glad that the likes of Dubai and Qatar are set to implode within 10 to 20 years, because it's some of the very worst humanity has ever shown.
I barely ever see any sand in dubai. In the highways between the cities maybe, but in Dubai itself? not really. I think you have a wrong idea about how both these countries look, especially dubai.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
For your first question, please be more specific, are you asking if they do a good job in general? I don't think so, most people who follow football don't like them very much as an organization, and I'm no different as you can see from the part you bolded.

Do I support the decision to have the WC in Qatar? Of course I do.
That's a bit contradicting isn't it? Anyway, I see you are just happy the WC will be in Qatar, no matter the cost and no matter the means how it was awarded. So there is not much point in continuing anything. A bit funny how you think they are doing a bad job in general and are a shitty corrupt bunch, but yet you support their decision. I guess you have finally become one of those that you don't really like a western hipocrate.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I barely ever see any sand in dubai. In the highways between the cities maybe, but in Dubai itself? not really. I think you have a wrong idea about how both these countries look, especially dubai.
I know what Dubai looks like. And it's a sham. It's kind of like Vegas in that it's completely artificial, but at least Vegas made an identity for itself.

Also, that you are now having to go as far as to deny basic reality (what desert? There's no desert here) tells you all you need to know. I understand that you like a World Cup to take place there, but it's just not a good fit. I'd like a WC final in Brussels too, but it's not possible, so be it.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
But why host it there if you could easily host it in a country with better labour conditions and a climate that is actually suited to play football in?
They had the best bid and proposal that got the most votes. If its bribery then its illegitimate.

I personally don't think its a good place to host the cup because of the weather. Doing it in the winter is too inconvinient for European football and frankly it is the football that matters the most and the change would be disruptive really to all leagues. Unless technology can magically cancel out the heat, I dont think they should make a special alteration to world football schedules to appease Qatar.

Personally I find having the right weather to be as important as having the right infrastructure, security, etc... even if its beyond your control as a government.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They had the best bid and proposal that got the most votes. If its bribery then its illegitimate.

I personally don't think its a good place to host the cup because of the weather. Doing it in the winter is too inconvinient for European football and frankly it is the football that matters the most and the change would be disruptive really to all leagues. Unless technology can magically cancel out the heat, I dont think they should make a special alteration to world football schedules to appease Qatar.

Personally I find having the right weather to be as important as having the right infrastructure, security, etc... even if its beyond your control as a government.
Well, yes. Like I said, there are several reasons it's not a good fit. And the talk about bribery does explain why the decision to have it there was made. Because quite frankly it can't have been the best bid, exactly because of these reasons.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Why are they going to implode? I dont think they are going anywhere barring a war by one of the usual suspects.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
That's a bit contradicting isn't it? Anyway, I see you are just happy the WC will be in Qatar, no matter the cost and no matter the means how it was awarded. So there is not much point in continuing anything. A bit funny how you think they are doing a bad job in general and are a shitty corrupt bunch, but yet you support their decision. I guess you have finally become one of those that you don't really like a western hipocrate.
So let me get this straight. If I think that FIFA in general is not doing a good job, then by extension that means every decision they make is a wrong one? You ever hear of the halo effect?

Perhaps the way they choose the host of the WC is not the best, but thats how most countries hosted it, and that's how Qatar is going to host it. So at least theirs consistency.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
What bribery guys? The WC bid was for summer, they magically decided to change that without any regard to other nations that had legit bid. I wonder would have Qatar won with Winter WC against all them normal ones? Sometimes I wonder...

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I know what Dubai looks like. And it's a sham. It's kind of like Vegas in that it's completely artificial, but at least Vegas made an identity for itself.

Also, that you are now having to go as far as to deny basic reality (what desert? There's no desert here) tells you all you need to know. I understand that you like a World Cup to take place there, but it's just not a good fit. I'd like a WC final in Brussels too, but it's not possible, so be it.
I know it was originally a desert, but how is that relevant in a city like Dubai when you barely ever see any sand?

Also your analogy about Brussels is a meaningless one, Qatar is going to host the WC, it's been decided, Belgium hasn't, or at least not yet.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Well, yes. Like I said, there are several reasons it's not a good fit. And the talk about bribery does explain why the decision to have it there was made. Because quite frankly it can't have been the best bid, exactly because of these reasons.
Russia won man. Its more of a shit hole and doesnt have the kind of money that Qatar has and yet it won. South Africa won before that and its primarily a shit hole too part from a couple of cities. Brazil for God's sake.

The countries that could always have a good profile are UK, Germany, and the US then to a lesser extent Spain, Italy and France.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
So let me get this straight. If I think that FIFA in general is not doing a good job, then by extension that means every decision they make is a wrong one? You ever hear of the halo effect?

Perhaps the way they choose the host of the WC is not the best, but thats how most countries hosted it, and that's how Qatar is going to host it. So at least theirs consistency.
Well if you look at how this WC ended up there and especially in winter and you support it then I have no idea what would you not like in their regular day bussines, corruption is what you are supporting for the sole purpiose that arab country could host WC, ironic a bit.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
What bribery guys? The WC bid was for summer, they magically decided to change that without any regard to other nations that had legit bid. I wonder would have Qatar won with Winter WC against all them normal ones? Sometimes I wonder...
I don't know about bribery, neither do you for that matter, you're just speculating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 38)