Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (3 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Canary Islands are not a country. Maybe learn some geography before arguing.
No, I'm just taking your logical argument to the test. You're going to need some kind of litmus test to judge whether a World Cup can happen on certain land or not. The Canary Islands are part of Spain, but technically they are part of the African continent. How do you propose we resolve this conflict?

Could Spain host a World Cup and have matches in the Canary Islands, because it's Spain? Or because that's Africa, the Canary Islands would be banned from hosting any matches?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Yes, don't you remember the discussions we used to have during WC2002? Oh wait, you weren't here yet. :D

- - - Updated - - -

No, I'm just taking your logical argument to the test. You're going to need some kind of litmus test to judge whether a World Cup can happen on certain land or not. The Canary Islands are part of Spain, but technically they are part of the African continent. How do you propose we resolve this conflict?
Move them closer to shore?

Juliano13

May 6, 2012

Could Spain host a World Cup and have matches in the Canary Islands, because it's Spain? Or because that's Africa, the Canary Islands would be banned from hosting any matches?
Would you host the World Cup in Malta?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Would you host the World Cup in Malta?
Technically, that's Europe. So it fits your definition.

But what about the Canary Islands?

Or how about nearby Madeira if Portugal hosted the World Cup? Birthplace and home to Cristiano Ronaldo and the first division clubs C.D. Nacional and Martimo. They are part of Portugal, but they are closer to Africa than to Europe. Can they host any matches?

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Technically, that's Europe. So it fits your definition.

But what about the Canary Islands?

Or how about nearby Madeira if Portugal hosted the World Cup? Birthplace and home to Cristiano Ronaldo and the first division clubs C.D. Nacional and Martimo. They are part of Portugal, but they are closer to Africa than to Europe. Can they host any matches?
I really think we are on different pages here. You are not getting the point at all. I am not saying any European or South American country can host a World Cup. I am saying African and Asian countries shouldn't.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I really think we are on different pages here. You are not getting the point at all. I am not saying any European or South American country can host a World Cup. I am saying African and Asian countries shouldn't.
OK, so by definition of what you say here, your rule here doesn't apply to territories -- but only the main political seat of the hosting country that must be in either Europe or the Americas.

So then what happens if Qatar suffers an oil bubble, defaults on tons of debt, and gets bailed out and becomes part of Germany who essentially buys it out? Hey, we had tons of African colonies under European rule just a century ago. If so, by your rule then matches could be held in Qatar because it is held as a political territory of Germany.

Checkmate.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
OK, so by definition of what you say here, your rule here doesn't apply to territories -- but only the main political seat of the hosting country that must be in either Europe or the Americas.

So then what happens if Qatar suffers an oil bubble, defaults on tons of debt, and gets bailed out and becomes part of Germany who essentially buys it out? Hey, we had tons of African colonies under European rule just a decade ago. If so, by your rule then matches could be held in Qatar because it is held as a political territory of Germany.

Checkmate.
Rarely seen you so far out on a nit picking tangent, S.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012

So then what happens if Qatar suffers an oil bubble, defaults on tons of debt, and gets bailed out and becomes part of Germany who essentially buys it out? Hey, we had tons of African colonies under European rule just a century ago. If so, by your rule then matches could be held in Qatar because it is held as a political territory of Germany.

Checkmate.
Then the world cup would still be held in Germany (meaning Munich, Berlin, Hamburg and so on and not in Qatar). When the USA hosted the world cup did we have games in American Samoa?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Then the world cup would still be held in Germany (meaning Munich, Berlin, Hamburg and so on and not in Qatar). When the USA hosted the world cup did we have games in American Samoa?
I prefer if no more world cups where held in Europe tbh. Its cold and everybody is drunk and eats pigs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)