Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (8 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Is it because of the weather, or do you actually know something about the country?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it because of the weather, or do you actually know something about the country?

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Everything about it, Fred. I know football is just business nowadays, but this entire Qatar business feels completely "fake". Don't see anything good in this for the fans either (talking about the people who regularly attend games, not the general tv audience).

On another, somewhat related, note, I've recently been reading a few things about all these Qatarese investments/investors, and it just doesn't sit too well with me.

Yes, you can now go ahead and call me an ignorant racist.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Well if an Englishman is pissed that their country didn't get to host the worldcup, but the 'towel-heads' did, then you can't help but wonder :D

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Well if an Englishman is pissed that their country didn't get to host the worldcup, but the 'towel-heads' did, then you can't help but wonder :D
I don't think the specific country is really important, although negatives about it will be used, and obviously the Arab brotherhood will unite and get defensive. You could make a long list of countries impractical for football at a certain time of year, and you could overcome it with money.

Really people are pissed that it has gone to a non-traditional footballing country and because of money. We know it's because of money so there is no point in arguing that. Which is fair enough if it really is part of developing the region in terms of football. Problem is it looks like another prestige buy.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
I don't think the specific country is really important, although negatives about it will be used, and obviously the Arab brotherhood will unite and get defensive. You could make a long list of countries impractical for football at a certain time of year, and you could overcome it with money.

Really people are pissed that it has gone to a non-traditional footballing country and because of money. We know it's because of money so there is no point in arguing that. Which is fair enough if it really is part of developing the region in terms of football. Problem is it looks like another prestige buy.
I'm not a fan of the country/region. In fact, it's well known that I detest the whole region, having spent half my life there growing up. One thing though is their passion for football is as much as any other country in the world. Yes, their own footballing teams are poop. But you can't call it a non-footballing country. It's probably the only sport which evokes emotions in them. If a 1994 USA can host the world cup, then a Qatar can too.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't doubt that, you see Arab fans all over the internet, but it's still a non-traditional footballing country.

With the US, Japan, Korea, you see football developing at a strong rate, that's what FIFA should be trying to achieve here with the hosts. I think FIFA realises that a resurgence in the Arab national teams would be important for them financially and in terms of competitiveness. Aside from Saudi and possibly including them, also Iran, those teams have been on the slide for too long.

You see the club sides doing well across the continental competition, because they are projects for wealthy owners. But the emphasis needs to be on developing national players rather than being competitive with big money foreign players. China have also been particularly poor at this.

At the end of this you want to see fans following and proud of their domestic clubs and national team. Not just a moment in the sun (excuse the pun), and then back to the lazy routine.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
There's no way to know if the footballing culture in Qatar will change for the better. We'll have to wait and see. Youth training is pretty big in the UAE at least. There's no reason why Qatar won't do the same. Even though it reeks of monkey business, I am not too bothered. After all, money has taken over football. There's no running away from the fact. If Nick's hometown club can be run with Arab money, if the Russians can buy the EPL, then I see no reason why Qatar can't power themselves into hosting a world cup using the same money.

Dec 31, 2008
I'm not a fan of the country/region. In fact, it's well known that I detest the whole region, having spent half my life there growing up. One thing though is their passion for football is as much as any other country in the world. Yes, their own footballing teams are poop. But you can't call it a non-footballing country. It's probably the only sport which evokes emotions in them. If a 1994 USA can host the world cup, then a Qatar can too.
:tup:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I don't doubt that, you see Arab fans all over the internet, but it's still a non-traditional footballing country.

With the US, Japan, Korea, you see football developing at a strong rate, that's what FIFA should be trying to achieve here with the hosts. I think FIFA realises that a resurgence in the Arab national teams would be important for them financially and in terms of competitiveness. Aside from Saudi and possibly including them, also Iran, those teams have been on the slide for too long.

You see the club sides doing well across the continental competition, because they are projects for wealthy owners. But the emphasis needs to be on developing national players rather than being competitive with big money foreign players. China have also been particularly poor at this.

At the end of this you want to see fans following and proud of their domestic clubs and national team. Not just a moment in the sun (excuse the pun), and then back to the lazy routine.
I don't see Qtar/Saudi Arabia becoming big in club football simply because players would want to celebrate by popping a couple bottles which is frowned upon there. Also they would have to play inside an oven which I doubt feels very good.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Everything about it, Fred. I know football is just business nowadays, but this entire Qatar business feels completely "fake". Don't see anything good in this for the fans either (talking about the people who regularly attend games, not the general tv audience).

On another, somewhat related, note, I've recently been reading a few things about all these Qatarese investments/investors, and it just doesn't sit too well with me.

Yes, you can now go ahead and call me an ignorant racist.
People who regularly attend games? The WC in Qatar could be the first where you could attend two WC games in the same day, as they're thinking of building an underground metro that connects all the stadiums in the country.

Qatar not being a traditional footballing country is a bullshit argument, and its extremely subjective. Please do show me where it is that i can find a comprehensive and exhaustive list of the "traditional footballing countries".

Qatar has been spending loads of money on football and on developing young talent. Look up their academy called Aspire for example.

I'm pretty sure you do not know enough about the country to pass judgement. So while i wouldn't go as far as calling you a racist, i think it would be safe to see that in this particular subject, you are probably ignorant.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Qatar not being a traditional footballing country is a bullshit argument, and its extremely subjective. Please do show me where it is that i can find a comprehensive and exhaustive list of the "traditional footballing countries".
Seriously, Fred? :D

Look, I dislike the idea of the WC being in Qatar. It's my own, subjective opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just another example of what I think is wrong with football nowadays.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Subjective, but Qatar wouldn't be on anyone's list if you were to make one.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Everything went down hill when camel country got the World Cup.

- - - Updated - - -

After the debacle with Russia and Qatar getting the World Cups ahead of the UK and USA respectively. From then on I realised not to take UEFA or FIFA seriously anymore.

How is this layout fair on fans who want to watch their teams play. One day in England the next in Italy. Its financially crippling.
Yep, it's all garbage.

Just give the Euro to Camel Country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)