Qatar's bid for hosting WC 2022 (3 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Qatar is a joke football and sporting wise in general (200% mercenary BS), but I dont think that has much of anything to do with them being able to host. Even if its iffy to send the signal one should reward such practices.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Qatar is a joke football and sporting wise in general (200% mercenary BS), but I dont think that has much of anything to do with them being able to host. Even if its iffy to send the signal one should reward such practices.
I don't know man. Buying yourself a National Team seems a bit contrary to the World Cup spirit.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Then if people have that objection I totally understand.

Qatars practices sporting wise are quite shameful.
It be a different story if they were simply a shit team full of Qatari (?) players. How much worse than North Korea could they be?

But if they go and throw together a bunch of Brazilians and Belgians, you really have to take a look at the ethics behind it. I mean it's not like there are a bunch of guys in Brazil and Belgium running around with grandparents and whatnot from Qatar.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
They should give it to Egypt, most fitting of the arab countries. Though funny if they got it, african champions all the time, and they would finally be in a WC, because they are hosts :p

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Who think the Qatar NT would make it out of the groups?
Of course they won't, even with all the mercenaries, their team is extremely poor.

Sure. But they still buy them. Why? I don't know. Because they like to buy stuff I suppose.

Dude, have a look at the Belgian national team. Then look at Qatar. Just look at the names and tell me if you truly believe Qatar even come close.

Who did they buy??

qatar just got raped by al hilal
Did they?

Hilal won the first leg 3-0, al Gharaffa then won today's game 3-0 too and played extra time, in which Hilal scored two goals and subsequently won the match. I wouldn't call that "rape".

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Hey, anyone remember this thread?

So it turns out that Qatar did buy the WC. Shocking, I know. But legally! Here's the article:

http://translate.google.com/transla...preso-legalmente-il-mondiale-di-calcio/86589/

The article is citing a WSJ article that I'm too lazy to try to find (do it if you want). The gist is that Qatar has made investments for development precisely in the countries that many of the voting panel are from. And they have stepped up these investments very recently, leading up to the vote. So despite there being no overt bribes, it's a kind of proxy system.

And this is perfectly legal by FIFA rules.

Sep 1, 2002
Hey, anyone remember this thread?

So it turns out that Qatar did buy the WC. Shocking, I know. But legally! Here's the article:

http://translate.google.com/transla...preso-legalmente-il-mondiale-di-calcio/86589/

The article is citing a WSJ article that I'm too lazy to try to find (do it if you want). The gist is that Qatar has made investments for development precisely in the countries that many of the voting panel are from. And they have stepped up these investments very recently, leading up to the vote. So despite there being no overt bribes, it's a kind of proxy system.

And this is perfectly legal by FIFA rules.
Which they are now doing again: First buying Barça (shirt), next Man Utd, then a huge investment in Munich no doubt, then PSG?

Which leaves Italy to influence...

Juve?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Which they are now doing again: First buying Barça (shirt), next Man Utd, then a huge investment in Munich no doubt, then PSG?

Which leaves Italy to influence...

Juve?
If they could improve on our tree-trunk-legged cheerleaders that are parading the streets of Torino, they've got my support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)