Premier League 2019/20 (17 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Yeah there is no reason really why Liverpool shouldn't be given the trophy, but if the seasons don't finish it does make them slightly tainted, as unavoidable as it is.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The season is what 3/4 finished? I think you could relegate/promote and give trophies/ cl spots based on the results. Not like it’s January
My hometown team Coventry are having their best league season for about 20 years and are top of League 1 so I hope there is some way to yet get all seasons finished. It would be absolutely gutting for a team that has been bounced from pillar to post to not have their chance to get back to the Championship, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

It seems to me like they might be played during the summer if need be. Put the Euros to 2021. A delay is better than a making light tournaments and leagues.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
My hometown team Coventry are having their best league season for about 20 years and are top of League 1 so I hope there is some way to yet get all seasons finished. It would be absolutely gutting for a team that has been bounced from pillar to post to not have their chance to get back to the Championship, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

It seems to me like they might be played during the summer if need be. Put the Euros to 2021. A delay is better than a making light tournaments and leagues.
If things settle a bit by May/June, there really is no other option than to move the Euros to 2021.

Start next season in late September, cancel this years Nations League until 2021, and play the Euros in June next year.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

agree 100%.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Honestly I think this entire corona mess will end if we just pull Liverpool out of the league. Clearly unleashing a pandemic on the world is God's way of saying he does not want Liverpool to be crowned champions.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Premier League chiefs were already desperate to avoid pulling the plug on the campaign as it would leave the top flight exposed to a £750 million compensation claim from broadcasters. But they have now totted up additional potential liabilities of over £250 million from breaching sponsorship and advertising contracts.

And the staggering scale of the sums involved has terrified England’s top flight into doubling down on an increasingly unrealistic target of completing the 2019/20 campaign over the summer.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...ggering-1billion-premier-league-bill-21796461

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
He even gets praised for that lol. They are paid millions for entertainment, time for them to wake up

Wayne Rooney brands public coronavirus pressure on Premier League stars a 'disgrace'

"If the government approached me to help support nurses financially or buy ventilators I'd be proud to do so - as long as I knew where the money was going," wrote Rooney in an impassioned column in the Sunday Times.

"I'm in a position where I could give something up. Not every footballer is in the same position. Yet suddenly the whole profession has been put on the spot with a demand for 30 per cent pay cuts across the board. Why are footballers suddenly the scapegoats?

"How the past few days have played out is a disgrace. First the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, said that Premier League players should take a pay cut.

"He was supposed to be giving the nation the latest on the biggest crisis we've faced in our lifetimes. Why was the pay of footballers even in his head? Was he desperate to divert attention from his government's handling of this pandemic?"

"It seemed strange to me because every other decision in this process has been kept behind closed doors, but this had to be announced publicly," he added. "Why? It feels as if it's to shame the players - to force them into a corner where they have to pick up the bill for lost revenue.

"In my opinion it is now a no-win situation. Whatever way you look at it, we're easy targets."

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
But the root of the problem is not the surfeit of money; that is merely a function of the real issue, which is the dearth of trust. The players do not trust that the clubs are not trying to make them shoulder the burden. The clubs do not trust that the players’ agents — and by extension the players — will act honorably, in the common good.

And, just as important, the clubs do not trust one another: hence the Premier League’s edict that, whatever action is taken, it should be across the board. Even in normal times, these institutions eye one another with suspicion. They believe that their rivals will, in some way, attempt to use any situation to gain a competitive edge. They are not well suited to collective action.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/sports/soccer/premier-league-soccer-wages.html

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The suggestion is that cutting salaries by 30% from all PL teams would save clubs about £500m, but that also means that the government misses out on about £200m in tax revenue, which in turn means money that contributes towards the NHS or unemployment benefits is simply lost into the ether. PL footballers might generally be a stupid, vapid and greedy bunch, but they don't want just the clubs benefitting. They want to see the money actually go to useful sources.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
The suggestion is that cutting salaries by 30% from all PL teams would save clubs about £500m, but that also means that the government misses out on about £200m in tax revenue, which in turn means money that contributes towards the NHS or unemployment benefits is simply lost into the ether. PL footballers might generally be a stupid, vapid and greedy bunch, but they don't want just the clubs benefitting. They want to see the money actually go to useful sources.
The clubs benifitting improves the finance of the industry they work in. IF say, it goes bankrupt, they end up jobless. Best case scenario their league loses a competitive edge as a consequence of the breach in TV money

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Didn't read correctly the part about the taxes paid to the NHS Jay pointed out, that is a good point. Without a doubt more urgent matter than the football industry. But it is also a disguised way of saying footballers don't need to make a financial effort while most of them live in luxury.

May 23, 2013
The season is what 3/4 finished? I think you could relegate/promote and give trophies/ cl spots based on the results. Not like it’s January
Not sure about that. Premier League is having it's tightest relegation battle in years. There is only a 4 point gap between 15-19th and the 19th placed team (Aston Villa) have a game in hand. Which if they won would take them out of the relegation zone. Same applies to the CL and Europa League spots where the race is extremely tight. Sheffield who are having an absolutely historic season are 2 points off a CL spot with a game in hand. Ending the league and awarding spots with the table as it would be an absolute injustice for those teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)