precision and accuracy (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I must admit I tend to use the terms interchangably but I'd like to finally establish a more sound definition.

In mathematical terms it's rather straightforward, you can be precise without being accurate. Ie. 3.1612 is a more precise representation of pi than 3.14 but it's not a more accurate one. But you can't be accurate without being precise.

How do you apply this logic to everyday situations?

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Zlatan, maybe it's because you don't know pi or something :LOL:, but what he was saying was that you can be precise about something e.g. I could say that 1 + 1 = 2.0000000000001924. That would be precise, but it's not accurate because it's wrong.

Martin, why?

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Zlatan, maybe it's because you don't know pi or something :LOL:, but what he was saying was that you can be precise about something e.g. I could say that 1 + 1 = 2.0000000000001924. That would be precise, but it's not accurate because it's wrong.

Martin, why?
I know pi :(

Jul 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Why what?

I hope John gets here, he's a physicist and all :)
martin, were u waiting for me?? :confused: i aint no physicist!!

A future engineer yes, not physicst. :D

Jul 28, 2002
ahhh the other john...... thank god for that. Dont do physics anymore :D

btw i believe precision is accuracy with a limit. precisely 5 days..... but its not exactly 5 days.....

Man u got me thinking now marting...git.... its a sunday:dontcare:.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #10
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Why did u want to know how to use this in everyday life?
    Just to clear up my possibly misuse of the terms.

John, that's funny :D

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    pi: 3,141592654 I learned that by heart, haha I know it isnt the whole number but thats what most calculators will show

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    I must admit I tend to use the terms interchangably but I'd like to finally establish a more sound definition.

In mathematical terms it's rather straightforward, you can be precise without being accurate. Ie. 3.1612 is a more precise representation of pi than 3.14 but it's not a more accurate one. But you can't be accurate without being precise.

How do you apply this logic to everyday situations?
    pre-cise /prI'sais/ adj 1 precise details, costs, measurements etc are exact. 2 [only before noun] used to emphasize that something happens exactly in a particular way or that you are describing something correctly and exactly right.

--------------------------------------------------

According to Longman's Dictionary of Contemporary English, you can't be precise and inaccurate at the same time.

What are you on about?!

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    Alex i read this atleast 5 times and still trying to figure out what you meant
    do you just want an example of how that works in everyday life ?
    i'm sure i can think of one
    " your new hair color makes your skin tone stand out more and i don't think it looks good with the colors you usually wear "
    that would be being percise
    "i don't like how that hair color looks on you "
    that would be more acurate i guess
    the first one explains in detail why you don't like it but it doesn't say that you don't like it ..... it just gives out the impression that you don't like it and it explains what's wrong with it but you can still be like " no but i like it ....... "
    so i guess the second one is more acurate b/c it's what you think straight up , without any explanations ..... it's not detailed but it's exacly what needs to be said

plz let me know if we're on the same page here or not
    and if we're not then explain yourself lol

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #16
    Ok so we're on the same page now, you have related what I said into daily use. But my wondering pertains to the question whether this definition persists in daily use or whether it's only applicable in the sciences?

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    well why the hell not, if someone is being persice and getting into too much detail. calling them accurate would be wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)