precision and accuracy (1 Viewer)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
Martin, this is one of the geekiest threads in a while, but I'll praticipate anyway (implyings that i'm not a geek :D )

For those of you whoe are having trouble (like Martin for example ;) ) , here's an illustration my Chemistry instructor used for the dumber students :p

Disclaimer: I'm almost at 7000 posts, so it's my goddamn right to be an as$hole to everyone else and there's nothing you can do about it (except maybe ban me, but that's not kewl :D ) :stuckup:

*** Precision & Accuracy for Dummies ***

comprende?!
:D

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #24
    So this is the bottom line then? "In everyday language “precise” and “accurate” mean roughly the same thing"

Admit it Majed, you threw that page together in 5 minutes after seeing this thread didn't you :p

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    pre·cise ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-ss)
    adj.
    Clearly expressed or delineated; definite: The victim gave a precise description of the suspect.
    Exact, as in performance, execution, or amount; accurate or correct: a precise measurement; a precise instrument.
    Strictly distinguished from others; very: at that precise moment.
    Distinct and correct in sound or meaning: precise pronunciation; precise prose.
    Conforming strictly to rule or proper form: “The setting up of this Maypole was a lamentable spectacle to the precise separatists that lived at New Plymouth” (Thomas Morton).

ac·cu·rate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kyr-t)
    adj.
    Conforming exactly to fact; errorless.
    Deviating only slightly or within acceptable limits from a standard.
    Capable of providing a correct reading or measurement: an accurate scale.
    Acting or performing with care and precision; meticulous: an accurate proofreader.

Okay - in a nutshell, precise means accurate in some contexts and merely 'detailed' in others. It all depends on context baby! :) Oh, and like the other john, I'm an engineering student. Physics was a hobby until I realised that relativity was the easiest part of my second year physics course.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    Martin, this is one of the geekiest threads in a while, but I'll praticipate anyway (implyings that i'm not a geek :D )

For those of you whoe are having trouble (like Martin for example ;) ) , here's an illustration my Chemistry instructor used for the dumber students :p

Disclaimer: I'm almost at 7000 posts, so it's my goddamn right to be an as$hole to everyone else and there's nothing you can do about it (except maybe ban me, but that's not kewl :D ) :stuckup:

*** Precision & Accuracy for Dummies ***

comprende?!
    :D

precisely. nice of you to get the graphics, as I know I wouldn't have bothered!! lol-thats the same analogy my physics book used! (no, I didn't have to look it up!:stuckup: ;) )

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

Admit it Majed, you threw that page together in 5 minutes after seeing this thread didn't you :p
    seriously, that's about the same figure my chem instructor used. :)
    the Target didn't look exaclt ythe same. I googled to look for his graph and found this one which is the same. :)

Aug 1, 2003
    I just started learning Physics today.
    Now I'm thinking the same thing and I don't understand anything.

Isn't precision something like being particular bout something and accurate is being... ahh... accurate?

What was the question again?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    I just started learning Physics today.
    Now I'm thinking the same thing and I don't understand anything.

Isn't precision something like being particular bout something and accurate is being... ahh... accurate?

What was the question again?
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    pre·cise ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-ss)
    adj.
    Clearly expressed or delineated; definite: The victim gave a precise description of the suspect.
    Exact, as in performance, execution, or amount; accurate or correct: a precise measurement; a precise instrument.
    Strictly distinguished from others; very: at that precise moment.
    Distinct and correct in sound or meaning: precise pronunciation; precise prose.
    Conforming strictly to rule or proper form: “The setting up of this Maypole was a lamentable spectacle to the precise separatists that lived at New Plymouth” (Thomas Morton).

ac·cu·rate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kyr-t)
    adj.
    Conforming exactly to fact; errorless.
    Deviating only slightly or within acceptable limits from a standard.
    Capable of providing a correct reading or measurement: an accurate scale.
    Acting or performing with care and precision; meticulous: an accurate proofreader.

Okay - in a nutshell, precise means accurate in some contexts and merely 'detailed' in others. It all depends on context

Aug 1, 2003
    So, if I wanna describe something- say Pippo Inzaghi- short hair, brown eyes, goddamn hot, unfortunately wears red and black on weekends, I'm being precise right? So how do I become accurate? I mean, what is accurate in describing Pippo Inzaghi?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    So, if I wanna describe something- say Pippo Inzaghi- short hair, brown eyes, goddamn hot, unfortunately wears red and black on weekends, I'm being precise right? So how do I become accurate? I mean, what is accurate in describing Pippo Inzaghi?
    All of that - because it's true. If you were to describe him as a 7'2", blond, blue-eyed, muscle-bound, green-skinned Torino goalkeeper, that would be precise too (though I wouldn't normally use it in respect of language), but it wouldn't be accurate.

You could also describe him as an Italian footballer, an it would be accurate, but not precise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)