Players Remembering How They Played Against Juve (1 Viewer)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Knowing the great history of our club, many players from other clubs are still remembering that day when they played against Juve. I read many nice interviews of such players, and I thought that posting this in one thread will prove to everybody how this club's roots are nothing but glorious and decent...

Here's a new interview with Steve Coppell, A Manchester United winger, now 51 years old. He joined United from Tranmere in 1975 and played in United's only two European campaigns of the 1970s, in the Uefa Cup of 1976-77 (two rounds), and the Cup-Winners' Cup of the following season (two rounds).

"The one European campaign [76-77] that I remember was when we played Ajax. We beat them and then we played Juventus, which was a real eye-opener for me. They marked us man-for-man. In the first game Marco Tardelli marked me.

"He introduced me to a whole range of man-for-man marking tactics that I'd never encountered before. He was a monster. In the second game I was marked by Claudio Gentile, who was equally bad. We won 1-0 at home. We played away at the old Turin stadium and they beat us 3-0 and after Marco Tardelli had scored one of their goals he went on a lap of honour. I always remember him running past our dug-out. Tommy Docherty was standing there cursing away and he finished up by shouting at him: 'Who won the war, then?' It was the ultimate riposte
."

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/comment/article2344781.ece

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alex66

Jul 14, 2006
Van der Saar said in one interviev that playing against Juve is like a team from another planet (and next year he joined us)

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3
    'Chappi' still happy a decade on

Ten years after winning the UEFA Champions League with BV Borussia Dortmund, Stéphane Chapuisat still cherishes "great memories" of the tournament.

On 28 May 1997, the former international striker helped make two pieces of history. As Dortmund beat Juventus 3-1 in the final at the Olympiastadion in Munich, 'Chappi' became the first Swiss player to lift the European Champion Clubs' Cup while his team became the first German side to triumph in the new-look UEFA Champions League.

Having been hammered 6-1 by Juventus in the two-legged 1993 UEFA Cup final, Dortmund did not start the game as favourites. "I think we never actually considered winning the Champions League," Chapuisat told uefa.com. "Even after the victory, in the changing rooms, we were still a bit groggy and had difficulty coming to terms with it. We were wondering whether it was a dream." Two Karl-Heinz Riedle goals in the first half set Dortmund on the way to victory. "I can still see us in the dressing room at half-time," he recalled. "At that moment we really started to believe we were going to win." Alessandro Del Piero brought Juventus back into contention after the interval, yet an inspirational substitution from coach Ottmar Hitzfeld would prove decisive.

Hitzfeld, who later won the competition with FC Bayern München in 2001, took off both his strikers - including Chapuisat - and brought on midfielder Lars Ricken. "He had a good nose," said the 37-year-old, who earned 103 caps for Switzerland. "Ricken scored to make it 3-1 with his first touch. At that moment, I knew we had won." Dortmund had claimed the Bundesliga crown the season before, though they always kept their UEFA Champions League ambitions modest. Chapuisat remembers them setting the target of "still being in the race after Christmas". They did much better: knocking out AJ Auxerre in the quarter-finals and Manchester United FC in the semis to book the tie against Juventus.

Those were glorious nights for Chapuisat. "This competition left me with great memories of playing all over Europe in big and beautiful stadiums," he said. As Liverpool FC and AC Milan prepare to do battle for this season's honours in Athens, the players can only hope that they, like Chapuisat, will have something wonderful to look back on ten years down the line.

uefa.com

JuveGER

Mar 10, 2006
    I will never forget that. Dortmund became a "cool" team in Germany then and I was starting more and more to be Juventus fan. We should have indeed murdered them. But that's football, stranger things have happened. In one game everything can happen. I guess we would have won 7 out 10 times. But that doesn't matter in football.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)