Platini : If I Were UEFA President... (26 Viewers)

Sep 28, 2002
Erik-with-a-k said:
Thanks, that goes for your posts too. We lack quality like that nowadays.

Might I ask what type of format you would give this new global championship? It's an interesting take.
a competiton like that would be nearly impossible.. london sunday night, buenos aires wednesday and milan sunday? too tiresome, people complain about the number of games already. besides, uefa wont be able to organize it, and god forbit blatter and co take it to their hands :pumpkin:

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
vlatko said:
san marino, luxembourg are a little drastic examples, i don't know if they even have a professional football leauge.

there in lies the problem my firend. hajduk in '95 was placed in a preliminary round against legia of warsav. ONE prelimary round! today you have 3! even if you somehow pass the first 2 rounds, in the third you are bound to get a 3rd or 4th placed team from one of the big leauges. the outcome is evident in 95% of cases, so don't make it like they have a chance, they're just not good enough, it's not like that, everything works against them in this system. a knockout system is the worst thing for a inferior team, there are no second chances, so teams that are champions, in their respective leauges, are practically doomed to fail even before the competition started.

there are too many teams in general, and the end of it is big teams prevail and small teams get thrown out. in the old system you had a chance, one qualifier round against a better or equal team and you're in! and if you do get in, the money comes and most of all motivation! those 6 matches are like a carnival of succes to small teams, and sometimes that small team makes an upset, like hajduk did in '95. of course levski sofia's fans are thrilled, why wouldnt they be? their players get to fac off with the biggest names of the game, the stadiums are packed, the people are living for those 90 minutes. even their home championship will be more competitive because levski made it somehow, that will bring extra motivation to all the teams in bulgary. but i'm not holding my breath they will be able to make it again. with the way the system is ow, it just simply doesn't work.

the true cl is dead imo, this more of a european super leauge.
yeah those smaller counteries could be portrayed as drastic measures. And it would take a longer time to take them into account.

Anyway i see ur point, it is harder these days even for the good teams in the smaller counteries in Europe.I just had a quick check of some history and a couple of games lesser would mean a difference, as they did with Depor in 2004 where they reached the semis.

Also there will 4 spots right (one from Italy,spain,England and even throw one from the Bundesliga as they r already thinking about that) who should those limited spots go to ?

As a non-european i will never have the same point of view as i would at most times choose the titanic battles between the heavyweights over those between the heavyweights and the less known teams.

Another point is the revenue from the tv rights would decrease substantially. So there would be less money for many teams.

mikhail said:
followed by Gaelic football
ohh, its like our Aussie Rules.The foooty :D

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Fliakis said:
disagree completely. this format seemed fun while juve were in the competition. now that they're out the group stage is a real bore. barely watched a game. there's no excitement at all. a knock out would bring that imo.
I love the group stages, because when a team is out of form or having injury problems in a particular match, they can make it up for the rest of five games. But let's say if they have a lot of injuries and suspended players, that good team might get eliminated, and this will help the weak teams qualify for the later stages, which means the quality will be go down on the later stages. some of you might like this idea so that the small teams can have the chances to progress,but if you look at it more objective you would agree with me, cause it will be boring to watch let's say spatra prague in quarter finals instead of the likes of Roma.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
According to your logic, Andries, I think you support the idea of the Euro Super League. Mind you, this league has no promotion and no demotion, you'll get to see your most beloved teams like Barcelona and Anrsenal play together all the time, every season. You will not see all those boring teams from Zaghreb and Riga.

Actually why do these teams exist? Let us continue in this direction and literally kill everything football stands for and make just commercialized and only those teams that can afford it participate in it. And while we're at it, we continue to make more difficult TV rights and let only those who afford to watch it be able to watch it.

Sep 28, 2002
snoop said:
I love the group stages, because when a team is out of form or having injury problems in a particular match, they can make it up for the rest of five games. But let's say if they have a lot of injuries and suspended players, that good team might get eliminated, and this will help the weak teams qualify for the later stages, which means the quality will be go down on the later stages. some of you might like this idea so that the small teams can have the chances to progress,but if you look at it more objective you would agree with me, cause it will be boring to watch let's say spatra prague in quarter finals instead of the likes of Roma.
actually no, forget the minor teams. what i want is knock out straight away. much more fun.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Jeeks said:
According to your logic, Andries, I think you support the idea of the Euro Super League. Mind you, this league has no promotion and no demotion, you'll get to see your most beloved teams like Barcelona and Anrsenal play together all the time, every season. You will not see all those boring teams from Zaghreb and Riga.

Actually why do these teams exist? Let us continue in this direction and literally kill everything football stands for and make just commercialized and only those teams that can afford it participate in it. And while we're at it, we continue to make more difficult TV rights and let only those who afford to watch it be able to watch it.
That's not what I said and you know it. I just think Fiorentina deserves it more than Skonto Riga. After all they're the bigger champions. If Skonto are worthy of CL, let them prove it in the qualifiers.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Erik-with-a-k said:
Thanks, that goes for your posts too. We lack quality like that nowadays.

Might I ask what type of format you would give this new global championship? It's an interesting take.
Well I am not exactly sure as to which exact format the tournament should take but what I do know is that the current way in which teams gather up in Japan for couple of matches isnt plausible. The same goes for basketball as well. Its just not possible that us locals can generate as much passion as the home supporters if the game was played in a 2 leg home-away format.

Fli makes a good point though. Anyway tournament that tries to incorporate as much teams as possible is bound to have problem with the toll travelling takes. But then again, when you see teams like Real, Man U, Bayern, Fiorentina and even Juve (I had a pleasure of seeing Alex doing some timed trickery stuff prepared by the newcasters ditto for Aimar :D ) come to Japan for promotional purposes then one must wonder if they really are concerned about travelling that much if they can get marketing exposure. After all, South American players seem to manage fine in Europe considering the fact that they go back and forth for WC matches. And most teams in Europe nowadays operate on a rotational basis anyway. The matter of fact is if European teams will have far more significant monetary benefits if one can actually arrange both Asian, European and South American teams to play in a competition that actually matters. This will be far more effective than meaningless pre-season matches they come in for and loose for whatever reasons. In case of Real, they sure became a laughing stock for a while. Getting thrased to relegation threatened Verdy was just an icing on the cake.:D

So my conclusion is that teams really dont matter about travelling that much as long as they believe they can get compensated for it. Moreover, I don't really see a significant drop off in quality of games played due to travelling. If anything else, I think Europeans could be surprised by the qualities in the other continents and over time one should actually see a convergence between leagues.

My best idea is that CL place should be somewhat expanded and allocated on the basis of past results achieved by each respective continent in world events. In a similar fashion to the oen currently operated by UEFA, which Erik kindly elucidiated, we can keep in check the balance between quality and diversity. Obviously this means that only one or two teams will get the chance to participate in Asia, Africa and North America, and a few more South American teams. We can even put pit these continents against each other to ensure quality of matches doesnt get degraded too much. The looser of this group get to participate in UEFA Cup. In doing so, I feel we should also limit the maximum number of teams in each nation, especially in Italia, Spain and England, since 4th place teams exactly world-beaters by any means and if teams in South America could get enough revenues to sustain its stars, I actually feel teams like Sao Paulo and Internacional, Boca Juniors will be better than Liverpool, Depor, and Fiorentina. Just look at Sevilla and Villareal - half of their players are from South America and apart from few exceptional ones - I bet there are many of equal perhaps even superior quality that hasnt come to Europe yet.

I am kind of favoring the extension of the current format and probably making some expansion of teams at the preliminary rounds to the other continents based on the international coefficients by each continent. I know FIFA won't allow UEFA to dictate the pace of global tournament moreover if UEFA has desire to do so, but this format is vastly superior to the one that is going to be played in a short time. And I think it is almost undebatable the general value of having world-wide club tournament.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Seven said:
That's not what I said and you know it. I just think Fiorentina deserves it more than Skonto Riga. After all they're the bigger champions. If Skonto are worthy of CL, let them prove it in the qualifiers.
I still don't know what is it that you keep talking about that some teams deserve it more than others? Is it an elite competition where only the big clubs are worthy of playing in? If that is the case then fuck football, from now on I am no longer a fan of this shit.

Sep 28, 2002
Seven said:
palermo deserve it more than anderlech.
heck, maybe just bring the teams from top 4 leagues, and odd ajax/lyon type and we're all set?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Jeeks said:
I still don't know what is it that you keep talking about that some teams deserve it more than others? Is it an elite competition where only the big clubs are worthy of playing in? If that is the case then fuck football, from now on I am no longer a fan of this shit.
I have no problem with Skonto Riga playing in the CL, but they should prove to be good enough. Giving them automatic entry, but declining Milan a spot because they ended up second in Serie A is nowhere near fair.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Jeeks said:
Says a Lebonese fan of an Italian 'big club'? :rolleyes:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Fliakis said:
palermo deserve it more than anderlech.
heck, maybe just bring the teams from top 4 leagues, and odd ajax/lyon type and we're all set?
It's Anderlecht.

And yeah, perhaps they do. If they're a better team, why not?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm not watching the World Cup for a South Africa - Belarus final. I want Italy - Brazil or England - Germany. I want big teams. Why? Because they're the best. Don't tell me you can give each country one spot and not deduct the general quality. I, for one, will not be interested to see Chelsea beating Riga 6-0. In fact Dynamo Kiev already pains me enough at the moment.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Seven said:
I have no problem with Skonto Riga playing in the CL, but they should prove to be good enough. Giving them automatic entry, but declining Milan a spot because they ended up second in Serie A is nowhere near fair.
If you don't give them a chance to participate, year in year out, they will never be good enough. They will only fall out in the stupid qualifying round that has absolutely no significant TV coverage, no revenews and nothing. Yes, the fourth placed team in Serie A will always beat the champion of Lithunia and you and your likes will always enjoy the PS2 and Heineken ads and the whole UEFA marketing stunt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)