Photography (11 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I've narrowed my search for a first camera down to 2 options.

Canon EOS M50
Sony a6400

Basically every review is saying that the Sony camera is better but it is working out around £400 more. As I'm looking a camera for sports photography and it's my first camera I'm wondering if the extra features are necessary and justify the price difference.

Opinions and alternative suggestions will be much appreciated.

OP
s4tch

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
  • Thread Starter #244
    I've narrowed my search for a first camera down to 2 options.

Canon EOS M50
    Sony a6400

Basically every review is saying that the Sony camera is better but it is working out around £400 more. As I'm looking a camera for sports photography and it's my first camera I'm wondering if the extra features are necessary and justify the price difference.

Opinions and alternative suggestions will be much appreciated.
    for sports photography, you should definitely get the camera with the fastest and most reliable auto focus. and that's the sony in this case. burst speeds might also be important. you'll also need some telephoto lenses with large aperture, which isn't cheap usually. forget "image quality" as a deciding factor, these modern apsc milc bodies are good enough with the appropriate lens.

what's your budget for the whole package, lenses included? what lens are you thinking of?

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
    @DAiDEViL I don't think I do, I can get a perfect condition used a6000 for around £300 or the a6300 for £500.

@s4tch I'm willing to spend around £600/£700 maybe more if it's a good deal and was thinking I would need a lens with OSS.

And yes I was thinking auto focus and shutter speed would be the most important factors.

OP
    s4tch

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
  • Thread Starter #250
    Basic bitch test snap with the XE1 straight out of camera, just cropped. I'm pretty impressed @s4tch

DSCF6049-01.jpeg
    awesome, love it! and you're using manual lenses, so you don't care about the only annoying downside of the body compared to the newer ones, which is af speed. great addition to your already complete gear, have fun with it!

OP
    s4tch

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
  • Thread Starter #253
    agreed on nobody needing it, but what about peeps geeking out? the hype is already through the roof... fuji will sell plenty if they can manufacture enough of this.

i'd prefer an improved 27mm pancake with a bit larger aperture and faster focus, or as you said, an 50mm f1.4 which is supposed to be smaller than the huge 56mm f1.2 and much cheaper too.

anyway, nothing beats this ad's edit history today:

Clipboard02.png

:baus:

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011
    Alright guys. I have a birthday coming up and want to get some starting gear for photography.

Can you recommend me some gear for

1) wide angle nature shots
    2) portraits
    3) architecture

If there is a setup that does all three well for around 400-500 euro?

Sendt fra min CLT-L29 med Tapatalk

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    You mind buying used?

Chances are we want you to buy a Fuji :p

But taking your budget in mind, I'd suggest the Sony a6000 again. The sheer amount of them on ebay simply makes them really cheap.
    ≈ 270€

For portraits, a 50mm M42/CanonFD/MinoltaMD lens. Vintage manual lenses (The Pentacon 50 1.8 says hi), can be found on ebay for dirt cheap.
    Adapter ≈ 15€
    Lens ≈ 40€

Wide angle lenses are kinda expensive, so maybe try a 25mm and see if you need something wider. I have a 12mm, but hardly ever use it.
    The dirt cheap Neewer 25mm 1.8 I use alot as walk around lens is also available for sony e-mount
    ≈60€

For manual lenses in general, there is always the chinese. They have become really good. Just look around on Amazon for 7 Artisans and Meike. Great little lenses if you don't mind manual focus. Only the wide angle will set you back more if you decide to get one (>150€ i'd say) Best thing I'd suggest you to do here, is to just use the kit lens the camera comes with, it's wide end will be just fine for starters.

There is so much shit you can buy for that kind of money though, see what @s4tch comes up with.

Last edited:
    OP
    s4tch

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
  • Thread Starter #259
    Chances are we want you to buy a Fuji :p
    :dule:

busy day, i'll try to find something along these lines later today @Nzoric

i guess it'll be some fuji body with the little 15-45 kit lens, which is surprisingly good image quality wise given its size and weight, and some manual for portraits like you suggested. but basically anything will do with the proper lenses, for example a nikon d3x00 body, any af-s zoom starting around 16mm plus the 35mm f1.8 g or the 50mm f1.8 would be a perfect starting gear. these primes served me very well for 10+ years, good tools for reasonable money.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011
    I found an offer for a Sony NEX 6 including:

Around 370 euro.

Thoughts?
    6358b90bf1c18fd798e2852381dee0a1.jpg

Sendt fra min CLT-L29 med Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)